Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Well it sounds like a deal is in the offing, which is a relief to everyone, we’ve been mucking around for long enough now. Let’s just get on with it, rough and smooth.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Anyone think a deal will be agreed between the UK and the EU (are the latest talks both sides not wanting to be seen to refuse to try). If so do you think that deal will be voted for in the HoC by the 19th?

Even if a UK/EU deal is approved parliament then having only two days to reviee/scrutinise that deal seems far to rushed to me :shrug:

The devil will be in the detail and if Labour votes are needed those Labour MPs will want to understand exactly what kind of Tory deal they are voting for.
It'll be close, very close.

Maybe MPs' regret for previous deal rejections will get it over the line.

I am sure a growing number of MPs will just want it done - with the thought in mind that after an imminent election, the next phase of talks will be there for the winning party, regardless of what is in the non-binding future relationship document.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Anyone think a deal will be agreed between the UK and the EU (are the latest talks both sides not wanting to be seen to refuse to try). If so do you think that deal will be voted for in the HoC by the 19th?

Even if a UK/EU deal is approved parliament then having only two days to reviee/scrutinise that deal seems far to rushed to me :shrug:

The devil will be in the detail and if Labour votes are needed those Labour MPs will want to understand exactly what kind of Tory deal they are voting for.

sounds like they are coming together. the deal will cover outstanding issues relating to Ireland/NI some technical arrangements, its not an entire new withdrawal agreement, so no much to scrutinise.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It'll be close, very close.

Maybe MPs' regret for previous deal rejections will get it over the line.

I am sure a growing number of MPs will just want it done - with the thought in mind that after an imminent election, the next phase of talks will be there for the winning party, regardless of what is in the non-binding future relationship document.

This, I think there will be a majority that will vote for anything almost now just to " get it over with " . At least we get a 2 year " transition " before we lose all our benefits.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The unchallenged lie is the one that says if we leave on the 31st we will enable us to focus on the domestic issues that have been so badly ignored over the last three and a half years. The reality is we will be swamped by the painful negotiation with the EU, where they will seek to get one (many) over us, which is what they have to do. We will get a few domestic headline throwaways to “show” the govt are on it but they won’t be. The only way to sort domestic issues is to revoke by voting Liberal

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
sounds like they are coming together. the deal will cover outstanding issues relating to Ireland/NI some technical arrangements, its not an entire new withdrawal agreement, so no much to scrutinise.

Wouldn't the Johnson approach increase the potential for a more rapid divergence (deregulation) from the EU standard?

If that's correct and the deal does do this then that is something you would think that Labour would oppose, or at least want to appreciate fully before voting for?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This, I think there will be a majority that will vote for anything almost now just to " get it over with " . At least we get a 2 year " transition " before we lose all our benefits.

I still haven't heard a single good reason for leaving.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well we are talking about a hypothetical Albanian because that was the example given (by someone else). Not the best example since Albania is currently a candidate for accession.

While we are in the EU, if someone is an EU citizen and has a criminal record we can't simply decline them the right to come here.

We should be able to do that, and we will be able to once we have left.

We can do that now, as long as it is reasonable.
Bear in mind that we can and do grant Visas to non EU people with terrorism convictions, as long as they are not seen as a current threat.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I don’t know if it’s been mentioned on here, but, Johnson’s withdrawal agreement breaks the ‘ Taxation ( Cross border trade)!Act 2018, section 55, that states,

55Single United Kingdom customs territory

(1)It shall be unlawful for Her Majesty’s Government to enter into arrangements under which Northern Ireland forms part of a separate customs territory to Great Britain.

(2)For the purposes of this section “customs territory” shall have the same meaning as in the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade 1947 as amended.

The ironic thing is, this amendment was introduced by a certain Jacob Rees-Mogg. :whistle::laugh:

“It is clearly Government policy that Northern Ireland should not be removed from the rest of the United Kingdom and I think that to put that in legislation would be beneficial .”

The Honourable Member for Somerset North, Jacob Rees-Mogg,speaking on his amendment to the Taxation( cross border trade) Bill, 2018.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I still haven't heard a single good reason for leaving.

Leave means Leave! Isn't that enough?

It's what we voted for!!!!!!……

……….. except that I certainly didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and wouldn't now, either.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The only problem being that the line it will get us over is the start line to renegotiating our last 40 years of trade deals. Another 50 years of Brexit, JRM reckoned :wink:

You are both right. There is a percentage of the electorate that is focused on the milestone step of 'leaving' without thinking beyond that and they could swing the balance of power.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Wouldn't the Johnson approach increase the potential for a more rapid divergence (deregulation) from the EU standard?

If that's correct and the deal does do this then that is something you would think that Labour would oppose, or at least want to appreciate fully before voting for?

this is the Labour bogeyman, however as things stand all current laws and regulations will remain. there may be appettite for deregulation during the coming years, a few headline issues to show the benefit of leaving aside it will take time, significant change would need primary legislation. they always promise reducing regulation and red tape, rarely deliver.

Jan 30, 2008
The unchallenged lie is the one that says if we leave on the 31st we will enable us to focus on the domestic issues that have been so badly ignored over the last three and a half years. The reality is we will be swamped by the painful negotiation with the EU, where they will seek to get one (many) over us, which is what they have to do. We will get a few domestic headline throwaways to “show” the govt are on it but they won’t be. The only way to sort domestic issues is to revoke by voting Liberal

Oh dear not very Democratic but never mind most sensible people would never vote Lib Dem on the basis that they're not democratic ,more of an extremist party with their heads buried in the sand.
Reap what you sow,its time to get ready for Brexit

Regards
DF

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Oh dear not very Democratic but never mind most sensible people would never vote Lib Dem on the basis that they're not democratic ,more of an extremist party with their heads buried in the sand.
Reap what you sow,its time to get ready for Brexit

Regards
DF

I'm ready. Have you seen the advert 'how to claim your benefits after Brexit'
Yet?

Simply visit www.gov.uk/Brexit/howtoclaimbenefits

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here