Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because he considers himself to be the main man and will do everything to get his own way as he has shown in the past. So it would be in Boris best interest and suit his purpose to get rid of him now before he can do any more damage..

The speaker is the “main man” though, it’s how parliament works.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The Manchester Central Convention Complex,where the Conservative and Unionist Party conference is being held, is part funded by the EU, as part of the European regional development fund.

Ironic, really.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Because he considers himself to be the main man and will do everything to get his own way as he has shown in the past. So it would be in Boris best interest and suit his purpose to get rid of him now before he can do any more damage..

You're not worried about Boris doing any more damage? Jesus wept.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

But what exactly has Bercow done that has been incorrect, against the rules, against precedence? Nothing so far as I can see. Can you list examples of where he has actually done something wrong, rather than just permitting democracy and Parliament to act?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
But what exactly has Bercow done that has been incorrect, against the rules, against precedence? Nothing so far as I can see. Can you list examples of where he has actually done something wrong, rather than just permitting democracy and Parliament to act?

Don’t hold your breath.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With more power than the PM whoever it is and Parliament/Government itself, how can that be right? He is just nominated for the post by the house with no special ability or qualification.

Depends what you mean by power. He’s, in effect, the chairperson for House of Commons. And we have all now become aware of the powers this brings. He’s pretty powerful I’d say.

And I believe they’re elected to the position. As for qualification, what qualification does any MP need?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The Manchester Central Convention Complex,where the Conservative and Unionist Party conference is being held, is part funded by the EU, as part of the European regional development fund.

Ironic, really.

It's all about the money money money.

And not getting blown up?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Depends what you mean by power. He’s, in effect, the chairperson for House of Commons. And we have all now become aware of the powers this brings. He’s pretty powerful I’d say.

And I believe they’re elected to the position. As for qualification, what qualification does any MP need?

He has been elected three times by all the MPs. 2010, 2015 and 2017.

As for power, he is the referee, so yes, he has power.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think that he has done nothing actually wrong but has steered parliament to what he wants the outcome of Brexit to be.and towards remain.

It’s Bercow’s job to make sure the majority in Parliament has it’s say and gets it’s way. He does not represent the people or the winners of any particularly referendum. Maybot went to the electorate to get the power to sweep away people like Bercow; the Country then decided there should be less Tory MPs than before.

Parliament is all powerful now and will hopefully lop the arrogant and entitled disaster capitalist head off this disgraceful Tory government in the coming days.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
With more power than the PM whoever it is and Parliament/Government itself, how can that be right? He is just nominated for the post by the house with no special ability or qualification.

What you seeing is the result of May blowing away her majority and Boris turning the Government into a minority one.

Blame the speaker, remainers even Crystal Palace if you like. The reality is that the Government has lost all it's power, Parliament can walk all over it and they have no one to blame but themselves.

May could still have got us out (with a NI only backstop) ignored the DUP, got that through Parliament and be forced to call an election. Nope she was insistent on retaining their fragile majority.

This was also Boris Plan A (with added NI referendum), but he blinked and went to plan B which was shutting down parliament instead. That failed.

You understand what is happening here ? The Tories worry about the party over the country. But it's massively backfired.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here