Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I heard from a very good sauce (the ONS) that the net fall in immigration re the EU was mainly down to fewer people coming here without a confirmed job. Number of EU citizens that had a guaranteed job was actually up.

Well he works in the HR department of a trust, so i tend to believe him, but of course everyone has their spin on it.

Interesting byproduct is that this could benefit Ireland big time and I know that US companies who have presences in the UK are being targeted by agencies offering very good relocation deals to Dublin ( quite a few technology parks which were mothballed are reopening) and of course, there is no language issues and they do have the technical staff over there. We deal a lot with Apple, IBM, Dell, Cisco etc who all have reasonable size presences in Ireland and are looking to fill their data centres moving forward. Could be a good time to be a contractor looking for IT work coming up.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Well he works in the HR department of a trust, so i tend to believe him, but of course everyone has their spin on it.

Interesting byproduct is that this could benefit Ireland big time and I know that US companies who have presences in the UK are being targeted by agencies offering very good relocation deals to Dublin ( quite a few technology parks which were mothballed are reopening) and of course, there is no language issues and they do have the technical staff over there. We deal a lot with Apple, IBM, Dell, Cisco etc who all have reasonable size presences in Ireland and are looking to fill their data centres moving forward. Could be a good time to be a contractor looking for IT work coming up.

I'm sure he's telling the truth I was just pointing out the bigger picture. There is certainly some spinning going on ... like suggesting the drop in immigration is all down to lovely nurses and vital NHS staff fleeing the country, not that you were doing that. Immigration/emigration ebbs and flows for numerous reasons. Including high skilled jobs.

Big pharma to unveil £1bn boost for Theresa May’s Brexit future

Nearly 1,000 new high-skilled jobs planned for research hubs in London and Manchester

https://www.ft.com/content/d94fbeba-d102-11e7-b781-794ce08b24dc

Funnily enough for all the talk of a no deal being a supposed disaster for us it would have a huge impact on Ireland which their dysfunctional government should remember before trying to throw a spanner in the works .

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
CEPR, but they are experts so might not count

tosh.jpg

So we owe you an apology,it wasn't the Grauniad,it was another rag.A mock up by 4 economists of what might have happened if Remain won the Referendum says we MIGHT have been £300m a week better off if their wet dream was real life.So no proof whatsoever,just more rubbish.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I heard from a very good sauce that one hospital in central london lost over 400 European staff in the last 6 months...at least half of them were front line staff. They haven't been able to replace them and are using agency staff at three times the rate they had been paying...then it seems like the agencies are starting to struggle to fill their books too.

So if they lost 400 staff,shouldn't there be 400 job vacancies being advertised?:shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
View attachment 91616

So we owe you an apology,it wasn't the Grauniad,it was another rag.A mock up by 4 economists of what might have happened if Remain won the Referendum says we MIGHT have been £300m a week better off if their wet dream was real life.So no proof whatsoever,just more rubbish.

Has there ever been a newspaper more grossly mis-named than 'The Independent'? I would have thought 'The European' far more apposite.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Has there ever been a newspaper more grossly mis-named than 'The Independent'? I would have thought 'The European' far more apposite.

So you don't agree we've lost 1.3% of growth since the referendum?

If you look at growth elsewhere in Europe and the rest of the world I think its highly likely that we have.

Hope you're OK with austerity for the foreseeable future.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So you don't agree we've lost 1.3% of growth since the referendum?

If you look at growth elsewhere in Europe and the rest of the world I think its highly likely that we have.

Hope you're OK with austerity for the foreseeable future.
Price worth paying. National debt needs reducing anyway - has done for years.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But increasing personal debt and making younger generations pay for the mistakes and excesses of the older is fine. Great. Thanks.

I didn't overspend. I've also considerably subsidised younger people, and I wouldn't necessarily vote against a party that wanted to increase my taxes; for the good of my country I am prepared to suffer some personal financial loss by paying those extra taxes. But carry on nurturing that chip on your shoulder....................

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Price worth paying. National debt needs reducing anyway - has done for years.

Sounds like you were voting for Britain to become a deregulated, super-low-tax, small-state country? But hang on didn't the Vote Leave bus message that told voters “We send the EU £350m a week. Let’s fund our NHS instead”

The reality is the opportunity to clear the deficit will be pushed by many years because of the vote to leave

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sounds like you were voting for Britain to become a deregulated, super-low-tax, small-state country? But hang on didn't the Vote Leave bus message that told voters “We send the EU £350m a week. Let’s fund our NHS instead”

The reality is the opportunity to clear the deficit will be pushed by many years because of the vote to leave

Sounds like you think you can tell what I was/am thinking. That defines you as a remainer - that's what remainers do.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You personally never overspent. That is not the point is it. If everyone took that selfish attitude then we would be even more ****ed.

The attitude in many of the older generation has been disappointing, prospering nicely on the back of EU membership, then putting the knife into the younger generation. Pity they didn't take a leaf out of their own parents book, who rebuilt Britain after the war

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You personally never overspent. That is not the point is it. If everyone took that selfish attitude then we would be even more ****ed.
If nobody had ever overspent, we'd all be selfish and worse off? Your reasoning really is up the creek - thank heavens that those with your mind-set lost the referendum; if you'd won we would really have been f***ed for the foreseeable future.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The attitude in many of the older generation has been disappointing, prospering nicely on the back of EU membership, then putting the knife into the younger generation. Pity they didn't take a leaf out of their own parents book, who rebuilt Britain after the war

Pity those of us who voted 'No' in 1975, and then carried on a full working life serving our country, didn't succeed in keeping us out. Even more of a pity that government after government consented to more and more treaties, agreements, concords, conventions etc., without ever asking us if it was OK. It wasn't; they know that now - and like you, they don't like it!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
No it is selfish to think "I am ok so screw everyone else". You say you helped subsidise younger generations but tuition fees have been introduced...that is not helping is it? The relience on fossil fuels for decades has screwed up the environment. But, hey, you personally didn't overspend so its all ok.

Do you use gas electric, drive a car use a bus or train ???

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No it is selfish to think "I am ok so screw everyone else". You say you helped subsidise younger generations but tuition fees have been introduced...that is not helping is it? The relience on fossil fuels for decades has screwed up the environment. But, hey, you personally didn't overspend so its all ok.

Many of the hard line Brexiteers like Patterson, Lawson, Farage etc also like to find ways to dismiss the science behind climate change, this selfish attitude comes with the territory.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Your chip is growing. It's showing in a irrational need to try and undermine other peoples' arguments by linking them to something else- like tuition fees (Why tuition fees, ffs - what have they got to do with Brexit?).

Just to make it clear - and to shatter your little dream of moral supremacy - I didn't increase tuition fees. I was totally against it; still am. But you see fit to try to blame me for it?

.....mental.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Pity those of us who voted 'No' in 1975, and then carried on a full working life serving our country, didn't succeed in keeping us out. Even more of a pity that government after government consented to more and more treaties, agreements, concords, conventions etc., without ever asking us if it was OK. It wasn't; they know that now - and like you, they don't like it!

Yes, look at us now... slaves in chains thanks to the EU...:rotlf:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here