Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Another serious problem, of course, is the apparent (and deluded) belief amongst remainers that they have some sort of magical powers to know what leavers are/were thinking. The truth is, of course, they haven't a clue...

But with respect do you have any more of a clue than you say Remainers do? You know why YOU voted leave, but what about the others?

Leaver after Leaver has come on here telling us exactly why people voted Leave - it often seems to involve democratic deficits of one sort or another - but do they really know?

I am no more of an expert than anyone else on here but I'd humbly suggest that only those who predicted a Leave win could claim to even partly understand the inchoate rage so many ordinary people felt, the visceral distaste for the system that contributed so much (I believe) to the 23 June result.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
How is this thread going? Has anyone changed anybody’s mind yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But with respect do you have any more of a clue than you say Remainers do? You know why YOU voted leave, but what about the others?

Leaver after Leaver has come on here telling us exactly why people voted Leave - it often seems to involve democratic deficits of one sort or another - but do they really know?

I am no more of an expert than anyone else on here but I'd humbly suggest that only those who predicted a Leave win could claim to even partly understand the inchoate rage so many ordinary people felt, the visceral distaste for the system that contributed so much (I believe) to the 23 June result.
I've got several ides why some people might have voted leave. I know why I did myself, but I don't know exactly why each one of my fellow leave voters voted as they did. The remoaners tedious mantra of old, thick, racist , fascist and stupid just doesn't fit many people that I know.

As for how people think that want to remain in the shit-hole that is the EU, I have no idea what they're thinking, and I don't try to claim to know what on earth they are thinking either. I would never so presume. That's what sets me apart from remainers.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How is this thread going? Has anyone changed anybody’s mind yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those that think the end of the world is at hand as a result of Brexit will never change their minds unless or until it actually happens! The plaintive cries of 'We are doomed! We are doomed!' will echo round these sceptre isles for a long time, probably until the 'we are doomed' brigade have all passed on.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The only bedwetters are the brexit lot. They can't stand Europe and wet the bed and pulled out.

I probably travel across to Europe at least 3 times a year. I like it but still voted out because I didn't like the way they dictate to get there own way. It was never meant to end up like it did.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The only bedwetters are the brexit lot. They can't stand Europe and wet the bed and pulled out.

I'm sorry - that comment really confirms it.

You really don't know what you're talking about..................................sorry, but the truth must out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.
Brexiteers couldn't take the EU and couldn't be bothered to stay and fight to improve things...so they leave. LAZY.
Oh come on! Don't say anything even more stupid! Couldn't be bothered? - why the f*** do you think 17M of us turned out to out-vote your lot?

Brexiteers were - and are - very committed to the future of our country, both for those who appreciate it and those who don't think it's much to get enthusiastic about, unless it joins a big club with some bigger boys. I think you'll find that it's remoaners who were too scared to leave, rather than Brexiteers not being bothered. Brexiteers care very deeply. Remainers must have believed Project Fear, poor little urchins. Or maybe just standing on their own feet was a bit too daunting........

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I've got several ides why some people might have voted leave. I know why I did myself, but I don't know exactly why each one of my fellow leave voters voted as they did. The remoaners tedious mantra of old, thick, racist , fascist and stupid just doesn't fit many people that I know.

As for how people think that want to remain in the shit-hole that is the EU, I have no idea what they're thinking, and I don't try to claim to know what on earth they are thinking either. I would never so presume. That's what sets me apart from remainers.

But can't you see that you are stereotyping Remainers in a way that you accuse Remainers of doing about Leavers?

(For the record, none of the large number of Remainers I know thinks that the rather smaller number of Leavers I know are elderly thick fascists. The demographic evidence points to some tendencies regarding age and education among Leavers but putting universal labels on any group of people has to be wrong and none of my Remain friends do it. I also note your apparent lack of interest in or understanding of the 16m people who voted differently to you, other than that they apparently like what you call shit-holes. I doubt you're alone in this. Depressing times indeed.)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But can't you see that you are stereotyping Remainers in a way that you accuse Remainers of doing about Leavers?
No I'm not,. I have categorically stated that I don't know (or pretend to know) what they were thinking, or why they did what they did. I do have, however, formed opinions about some of the remainers on here, purely from what they've said in their posts, not from any preconceptions.

You have to admit that the theory that leavers are old, racist, thick and fascist has been postulated by your fellow remainers many times in this thread. That, I'm afraid, is just fact.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
No I'm not,. I have categorically stated that I don't know (or pretend to know) what they were thinking, or why they did what they did. I do have, however, formed opinions about some of the remainers on here, purely from what they've said in their posts, not from any preconceptions.

You have to admit that the theory that leavers are old, racist, thick and fascist has been postulated by your fellow remainers many times in this thread. That, I'm afraid, is just fact.

If we are trading stereotypes then we should also acknowledge the stereotype of the EU create by the likes of Farage and his friends. This was a very powerful part of the Bexit narrative - and OK. like most stereotypes they do reflect some reality. On the issue of stereotyping of Leave voters, I desperately don't want to fall into the trap of characterisation of them as thick etc but then you see a vox pop on TV (there was one on the Daily Politics programme yesterday) which can be just so utterly depressing as you hear people trot out the most uninformed, reflexive and sometimes just rather nasty justifications of their views. I'm not saying that all Remainers are articulate, well-informed and have a deep insight into economic theory but my goodness the Leave case - and yes, I know they won - can sometimes (note, sometimes) be little more than a collective chip of the shoulder masquerading as national pride. (It's a bit like watching old newsreel from 1970 when people were asked about decimalisation.)
To be honest some of the Leavers on this forum do actually raise the level of debate. Sometimes.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

No one is saying all leave voters are thick. People are simply saying what the demographics show.

The demographic characteristic with the strongest correlation to voting pattern was education. The lowest qualified most likely to vote leave and highest qualified most likely to remain and a sliding scale in between.

The second strongest correlation was age. Older voters most likely to vote leave and remain was thebyoung.

Obviously some of these points are related because younger people are more likely to have degrees than older people etc.

To dismiss these facts as people accusing groups of being thick is, well, acting a bit thick.

Jan 30, 2008
No one is saying all leave voters are thick. People are simply saying what the demographics show.

The demographic characteristic with the strongest correlation to voting pattern was education. The lowest qualified most likely to vote leave and highest qualified most likely to remain and a sliding scale in between.

The second strongest correlation was age. Older voters most likely to vote leave and remain was thebyoung.

Obviously some of these points are related because younger people are more likely to have degrees than older people etc.

To dismiss these facts as people accusing groups of being thick is, well, acting a bit thick.
WHAT IS IT ABOUT THE WORD LEAVE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THICKO ???
regards
DR

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
WHAT IS IT ABOUT THE WORD LEAVE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THICKO ???
regards
DR

Whilst you're here out of interest, as you know how much us on the remain side value your insight as the most respected member of the leave side, what you do or like to see happen in regards to the Irish border question?

Jan 30, 2008
Whilst you're here out of interest, as you know how much us on the remain side value your insight as the most respected member of the leave side, what you do or like to see happen in regards to the Irish border question?
anybody's guess at the moment BUT has to be no freedom of movement , but if you think that old Irish Government baloney about throwing a spanner in the works is going to work it won't wash , trust me, still leaving BTW :wink:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here