Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
And 2 years on, you still don't know whether us leaving means staying in a customs union, keeping open borders or anything else.

In fact, the only thing you know for certain is that the French are making our passports in a new colour :lolol:
stop kidding yourself chuckles the times ticking away and all will be revealed
regards
DR

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Not at all, it's more scaremongering without getting the proper facts just like on here.

How on earth is he scaremongering? He is commenting on a Mail article, that expresses outrage at something, that for some reason, the Mail didnt realise would happen? Its the Mail doing the 'scaremongering'.

D

Deleted member 22389

How on earth is he scaremongering? He is commenting on a Mail article, that expresses outrage at something, that for some reason, the Mail didnt realise would happen? Its the Mail doing the 'scaremongering'.

I don't hardly look at the Mail anymore in regards of Brexit news. That and the guardian are as bad as each other now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

larus

Oh how we do like to be reminded of good old Project Fear. But let's try to draw a line under this just for a minute or two; after all, it's in the rear view mirror. Do you really (and I mean really) think there are rational evidence-based grounds for believing that the UK economy will do better outside of the EU? If so then great: but is it a triumph of hope over evidence? I won't itemise the evidence to the contrary as it's been drip-feeding through from just about every reputable economist, think tank, industry body and analyst in the past couple of years. Of course these are forecasts as it (Brexit) hasn't happened yet. But if someone who knows what they are talking about forecasts that your car's breaks are unsafe then maybe it would be silly to await the crash to establish if they were right or not.

So - let's put the ball in your court. Wherein lies the good news, please? For example any new trade deals on the cards as yet? Just one will suffice for now. Even the right-leaning economists cited by Rees-Mogg admit that there will be significant adjustment/disruption costs to the UK economy following Brexit.

PS to be fair, I don't think that the Remainers had a monopoly on telling 'porkies' in the campaign. Memories of buses with slogans on them, distorted claims that 'they sell more to us than we sell to them' (nonsense in terms of proportionality), cocky projections that this will be the easiest negotiation in the history of mankind, fairy tales that German car firms would veto any limitation on post-Brexit trade...etc etc.

The problem with forecasts is that they are biased towards the views of the people who produce them. If these experts were all so good, then why did no one foresee the financial crisis. These same agencies who were giving the global economy a clean bill of health in 2007 and were reducing the risk ratings on many products (CDDs, etc.)/countries, are the ones who are now giving their damning views on Brexit and were also linked the project fear. So please forgive me if I take economic forecasts with a huge dose of incredulity.

As to new trade deal. Surely, as someone who is following this negotiations you must be 100% aware that it is illegal for the UK to sign any new trade deals. Not even one. :lol:

I am expecting upheaval once we actually leave. However, I honestly believe that this will be relatively short-lived and we will bounce back strongly.

And, as much as people like to harp on about the EU and it’s growth rate, it is still running QE to boost it’s economy. Several countries are still not able to fund their borrowing requirements from the money markets and rely upon the ECB for support. The EU/Eurozone is far from stable and, at some point, the issue of Fiscal Transfers must be addressed. This is totally unacceptable in Germany (and other wealthier countries), and without resolving this underlying issue, the Euro will eventually have an existential crisis. Yes, it’s been forecast for a long time, but the underlying issues have not been dealt with - just more can kicking.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yeah. It is ok for you. You moneybag elite.

Even you must be able to afford six quid ? Anyway, you live on mainland Europe son't you so you won't have to pay it ..... if it were remotely true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here