Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
TICK TOCK TICK TOCK, keep your chins up, the vote was to leave and that's what's happening, you can carry on kidding yourself , its just a few die hards who are buying into the fact we aren't:)
regards
DR

So it's a fact that we aren't? Have you changed sides?? Congrats at having seen the light and acquiesced in the face of overwhelming evidence based argument. Welcome aboard the good ship Remain!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Unemployment is at lowest level since 1975. significantly, just 25% of unemployed people have been jobless for more than a year. This is lower than at any time in the 80s or 90s, boom or bust. The equivalent figure is 44% France, 58% Italy and 72% Greece.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just shows how much we benefit from the EU membership both in absolute terms and relative to other EU countries. Those suckers have been subsidising us for years. Let's continue to milk them dry. Who wants to be on the outside pissing in when we can be on the inside pissing all over them?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Unemployment is at lowest level since 1975. significantly, just 25% of unemployed people have been jobless for more than a year. This is lower than at any time in the 80s or 90s, boom or bust. The equivalent figure is 44% France, 58% Italy and 72% Greece.

You are talking yourself out of Brexit

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
You are talking yourself out of Brexit
I never talked myself into it.... simply illustrating that despite all the doom and gloom, and the perceived threat from Brexit, our economy continues in an upward trajectory....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
TICK TOCK TICK TOCK, keep your chins up, the vote was to leave and that's what's happening, you can carry on kidding yourself , its just a few die hards who are buying into the fact we aren't:)
regards
DR

And 2 years on, you still don't know whether us leaving means staying in a customs union, keeping open borders or anything else.

In fact, the only thing you know for certain is that the French are making our passports in a new colour :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I never talked myself into it.... simply illustrating that despite all the doom and gloom, and the perceived threat from Brexit, our economy continues in an upward trajectory....

You do realise that even today, we are still further away from leaving the customs union, free movement etc than we were the day before the vote ? :facepalm:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I would hold fire on that, first quarter GDP figures to be published soon.
Low unemployment is always good, but we all know that people working part time etc etc are all lumped in claiming benefits don't pay much or any tax and are still on the breadline, which is connected to rising child poverty and more and more using food banks, unregulated robbing energy companies putting up bills for no reason don't help, and avoid paying the right amount of tax, higher profits for the shareholders.
Borrowing seems to be coming down but the debt is huge and out of control.
There are two sides to every coin.

larus

Just shows how much we benefit from the EU membership both in absolute terms and relative to other EU countries. Those suckers have been subsidising us for years. Let's continue to milk them dry. Who wants to be on the outside pissing in when we can be on the inside pissing all over them?

No, it just goes to show how much the Remain campaign lied in Project fear.

We were told that as soon as we voted to leave (not when we left), that the economy would tank, interest rates would rise, we'd have a recession, unemployment would rise, we'd lose inward investment, etc. etc..

However, the economy is still doing OK. There's been a drop off in Q1 due to the bad weather, but I fully expect his to bounce back in the next 3 quarters.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

We were told that as soon as we voted to leave (not when we left), that the economy would tank, interest rates would rise, we'd have a recession, unemployment would rise, we'd lose inward investment, etc. etc..

However, the economy is still doing OK. There's been a drop off in Q1 due to the bad weather, but I fully expect his to bounce back in the next 3 quarters.

It’s all down to “Bad weather” :lolol:

larus

I would hold fire on that, first quarter GDP figures to be published soon.
Low unemployment is always good, but we all know that people working part time etc etc are all lumped in claiming benefits don't pay much or any tax and are still on the breadline, which is connected to rising child poverty and more and more using food banks, unregulated robbing energy companies putting up bills for no reason don't help, and avoid paying the right amount of tax, higher profits for the shareholders.
Borrowing seems to be coming down but the debt is huge and out of control.
There are two sides to every coin.

I'm trying to understand what you think is linked to Brexit, what you think is linked to the financial crisis and what you think is linked to legislation/regulations.

It's much better for someone to be in low paid unemployment that unemployed. Of course, it's much better for them to be earning a decent wage, but it's accepted that by working, it gives more people a feeling of self-worth, and also makes them more appealing to prospective future employers.

Regarding the tax take from these lower paid workers, we should congratulate the coalition and Tories for making the tax threshold much higher, thereby removing more people from paying tax - however, we know the usual suspects will still be complaining about that even though much more has been done than under Labour.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

That was because, at the time of the vote, we were due to leave (according to Cameron) in June 2018, ie a few weeks time and an elapsed period of 2 years

We are now due to continue in the EU (in all but name) until Dec 2020 and an elapsed period of 4.5 years (barring further extensions)

For the hard of understanding, I will repeat

You do realise that even today, we are still further away from leaving the customs union, free movement etc than we were the day before the vote

I can't imagine that would have any effect on economic forecasting :rolleyes:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So, that's one persons OPINION. That's all it is.

Nothing to see here.

Make of it what you like.

The government have no solutions, unless you are in favour of us being criminally negligent to secure an extreme Brexit hardly anyone wants

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm trying to understand what you think is linked to Brexit, what you think is linked to the financial crisis and what you think is linked to legislation/regulations.

It's much better for someone to be in low paid unemployment that unemployed. Of course, it's much better for them to be earning a decent wage, but it's accepted that by working, it gives more people a feeling of self-worth, and also makes them more appealing to prospective future employers.

Regarding the tax take from these lower paid workers, we should congratulate the coalition and Tories for making the tax threshold much higher, thereby removing more people from paying tax - however, we know the usual suspects will still be complaining about that even though much more has been done than under Labour.

Fair enough I went off track a wee bit, but people are saying that the economy is doing well despite Brexit but the quarterly figures are poor and more importantly we have not even left yet, but industry is very worried about what we are going to do and how it will all end up.
Poor figures blamed on the weather again.
The rest had sod all to do with Brexit but as a seperate subject people are back to work but far worse off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's had an impact (even stupid people can see that), and also, nearly every time the GSP quarterly stats get produced, they get revised UPWARDS. But with your blinkered vision, you'll never acknowledge that.

Due to good weather?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Oh how we do like to be reminded of good old Project Fear. But let's try to draw a line under this just for a minute or two; after all, it's in the rear view mirror. Do you really (and I mean really) think there are rational evidence-based grounds for believing that the UK economy will do better outside of the EU? If so then great: but is it a triumph of hope over evidence? I won't itemise the evidence to the contrary as it's been drip-feeding through from just about every reputable economist, think tank, industry body and analyst in the past couple of years. Of course these are forecasts as it (Brexit) hasn't happened yet. But if someone who knows what they are talking about forecasts that your car's breaks are unsafe then maybe it would be silly to await the crash to establish if they were right or not.

So - let's put the ball in your court. Wherein lies the good news, please? For example any new trade deals on the cards as yet? Just one will suffice for now. Even the right-leaning economists cited by Rees-Mogg admit that there will be significant adjustment/disruption costs to the UK economy following Brexit.

PS to be fair, I don't think that the Remainers had a monopoly on telling 'porkies' in the campaign. Memories of buses with slogans on them, distorted claims that 'they sell more to us than we sell to them' (nonsense in terms of proportionality), cocky projections that this will be the easiest negotiation in the history of mankind, fairy tales that German car firms would veto any limitation on post-Brexit trade...etc etc.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]989849622943330304[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here