Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

el punal

Interesting that the Argus has this story. They'd been pretty quiet about the details before. My guess is that the '4 bids' and '£5.5m' have been leaked by the club to the paper. They are resigned to losing Dale and now want to smoke out a bigger club like Red Bull Leipzig.

Why do you think the club are resigned to losing him? If he were on the way out surely he would not have been selected, albeit as a reserve, for the last two games. Also, if the club are showing true intent on achieving promotion the last thing that they would do is to sell any of their most valuable players. They have managed to stave off repeated bids for the last few weeks for Dunk, Knockeart and Stephens - and long may that continue.

But, football being the unscrupulous business that it is, anything is possible. I do hope therefore that the club remain firm and are not tempted by further offers so that we, as fans, can look forward to the rest of the season with a settled and happy squad.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This close to the end of the transfer window I would expect that a premium has been added to the clubs valuation so that £7.5m now becomes £10m as we may not be able to secure deals until January on a replacement.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
10 million for a player who has less than a year to run in his contact and never played Preimeriship football, is Pie in the Sky, no way will that happen. The club is right to reject £ 5.5 but add another million and that would be a figure Albion may find hard to turn down.

It's all very well to say that however we couldn't get in anywhere near the player that we have in Stephens for that money. We missed out on getting promoted on goal difference last season, we need to keep our squad together like Middlesbrough did last season or we will be back to square one.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Everything suggests that the Argus story is likely to be close to the truth. Stephens clearly wants to go and is either refusing to play or (perhaps more likely) Hughton doesn't want to play an unsettled player until or unless this is sorted. If Stephens has his heart set on the premier league as soon as possible, then it's inevitable that he will go now or in January. He is older than Dunk was (when he chose to stay last year) and chances can easily disappear with an injury. £5.5m is low by current premiership transfer fees. However with only a year on his contract we are under some pressure. I would snap their hands off for that in January.

Well put !

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Applaud the club for really trying to keep him (didn't Duffy say one reason for joining us was he was convinced by the Albion team that we want to keep our best players?) but this is becoming a bit ridiculous! It's not just the club, Dale should really decide what he wants (I'm assuming that he hasn't of course). All this protracted dithering...us holding out for what, an extra 1-2 mill more? Can't imagine it will go anywhere near £10m, as mentioned he's never touched the premiership!

Should have been sorted weeks ago imo.

I would have thought us offering a few grand a week more and the rarity of such a great playing partnership with Beram would be enough for most players (glory over money and all that). If he goes to Burnley I wouldn't be surprised if he "does a Bridcutt" (ie looks shite house in another team).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The inevitable is going to happen it just seems to be about the price, I reckon £8m will be the valuation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Looks like we've missed out on James McCarthy from Everton, wouldn't be surprised if we come in for Stephens.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we do sell him I'd very much doubt a replacement would come in at this short notice. Plus we would be held to ransom by the selling club

You'd think if DS' attitude were driving this the last thing the club would want is to be left high and dry at the 11th hour.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I am beginning to despise 99% of everything to do with Burnley. Only Jimmy Anderson stops it being 100%

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we do sell him I'd very much doubt a replacement would come in at this short notice. Plus we would be held to ransom by the selling club
I'd think the club have looked at possible replacement for any of the players that might leave, and if they think Stephens might go they'd probably bid before selling, so both deals could be done at the same time.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have no idea if there was another bid for him or not but it is not really the amount of money that they are offering. The bids are probably designed to get a reaction from Stephens rather than the club.

The club stance is that he is not for sale and Burnley know that. They are probably trying to find out is ''Dale Stephens for sale'' ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here