Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We need to talk about Dale

Aug 23, 2011
What did they learn from the Bridcutt saga? He was sold, which we knew, and admitting he was sulking didn't harm the price.

There certainly isn't vague waffle. I can categorically say he didn't refuse to play and needs extra fitness training
There's nothing vague about that.

Perhaps Stephens refused to travel rather than refuse to play therefore Hughton wouldn't be lying (just playing devils advocate)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What did they learn from the Bridcutt saga? He was sold, which we knew, and admitting he was sulking didn't harm the price.

You have no idea whether it affected the price though do you? It was pretty clear he wasn't going to play again and he asked for a transfer (I think?). It seems Stephens hasn't...yet

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No, but we got a lot more money, than the majority of the fans thought he was worth.

We did much better selling Ulloa without him rocking the boat though didn't we? Stephens has not publically rocked the boat so we may be forcing Burnley's hand to spend more than they would otherwise. WTF do I know though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fwiw, if there was an actual bid in for Stephens, then I would agree that he's gone, but there isn't. At the moment.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I imagine the club are having a very hard time with Stephen's agent. It's what agents do. The interest from Burnley plus the year left on his contract mean the agent holds most of the aces but a form player can quickly become surplus to requirements if injuries take their toll. Jay Rodriguez at Southampton springs to mind.

Hopefully he'll be fit enough to play on Saturday and is with us for the following one.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I believe Hughtons press conference far more than I believe a random poster on a fan website, who I have long suspected is a palace troll.
Tell us who your sources are, as was said on this thread earlier, those who are really inthe know, don't reveal any of their knowledge on interweb message boards.

Just my opinion.

Aug 23, 2011
But 3 games this week, and he can't even get on the bench for any ?

Dunk, Knockaert both been subject to interest and bids and are very much involved ? What's different about the Stephens interest

Maybe Hughton is trying to put doubt in any potential bidders minds by a) keeping him out of the limelight so that people forget how good he is b) making them think he's injured/unfit or c) he obviously rubbish as he can't get into our team not even the bench.......

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but when he was asked at his dinner event a few months back, Calderon said that Stephens was his player of the season and that was the view of a lot of other Albion players too. Keeping him here for the rest of the season would be a fantastic achievement and probably a key factor in whether we go up or not but if he wants to go then we really shouldn't stop him - and it does seem that he wants to move on.

In an ideal world, we could sell him in January on the proviso that he sees out the rest of the season with us, if that's at all possible.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
My bad.

Still seems odd Stephens has gone from cameo appearance against Forest to now being to unfit to play in ANY team or game. And despite training last weekend and all week is still to unfit.

Can't be an injury as they would have said injury rather than unfit surely ?

It seems to me that Stephens is likely to be departing. What Hughton said with relevance to Stephens training and fitness was a good diplomatic answer which doesn't shut off any possible outcome. If he'd have said injury, he would have looked pretty silly when Stephens passes a medical at his new club, or alternatively returns to matches when the window closes.
I dare say he is working on his fitness in training, but has expressed desire to move on for geographical reasons and I expect that a deal isn't too far away for him, with us stalling in order to sign a replacement ahead of his departure.
I doubt he'd have refused to play, but maybe his head's been turned and Chris has decided he isn't focussed enough to warrant risking in the squad.
My honest opinion is we've seen the last of Stephens and in my mind this will amplified should he not make the bench for Newcastle.
September really can't come soon enough, but fingers crossed we sign the three players we're likely to need to compete at the top of this division again this season.
:albion2:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
They now say nothing except vague waffle and most of it is coming from CH. .

Hughton hardly ever says that a player will play in a game. He says they are available. This is what he has said about DS ("he's available").
Not because he's obfuscating or trying to cover up stuff but because he doesn't want his opponents to know the team in advance and/or presumably because he hasn't 100% decided yet.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
dale.JPG

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Club must think we are stupid.

If Stephens doesn't play Friday or against Newcastle on Saturday, he is offski.

Dunk refused to play last season for one game and then effectively dropped for the remaining opening games of the season when Uwe was signed despite being man of the match v Forest, and despite being fully fit.
He wasn't "Off". He's still here. So how did that happen ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Dunk refused to play last season for one game and then effectively dropped for the remaining opening games of the season when Uwe was signed despite being man of the match v Forest, and despite being fully fit.
He wasn't "Off". He's still here. So how did that happen ?

Because Dunk was being targeted by a Championship rival. We have said we won't sell to championship rivals.

Burnley are a premiership club, after a player with 9 months left on his contract. The dynamic is completely different to Dunk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
They're only going to sell Stephens if :
- he simply refuses a new contract and we won't improve it
- a prem league club has an offer that meets his value on the table
- we've signed or lined up a replacement.

I think the answer to all of those at the moment is no.
But obviously all or some will change in the next 7 days.

His fitness or availability for the Newcastle game is by the by.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Because Dunk was being targeted by a Championship rival. We have said we won't sell to championship rivals.
Burnley are a premiership club, after a player with 9 months left on his contract. The dynamic is completely different to Dunk

What we're discussing is , can you see any clues for him signing a contract , being sold, or staying from Hughton picking him v Newcastle or Reading.
I'm saying no...
He could still stay, be sold, or be replaced. Club still clearly want him to and its not over til its over...but at some point the reality will bite. Its the certainty i'm questioning...There's still 7 days to go and its still up in the air....

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What we're discussing is , can you see any clues for him signing a contract , being sold, or staying from Hughton picking him v Newcastle or Reading.
I'm saying no...
He could still stay, be sold, or be replaced. Club still clearly want him to and its not over til its over...but at some point the reality will bite. Its the certainty i'm questioning...There's still 7 days to go and its still up in the air....

If I was a betting man I'd say Burnley will be forced into offering the full 10 million at the eleventh hour and like the Ulloa price, we'll be slack jawed when it is announced

Question is have we already got his replacement in Norwood

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Looks like Burnley have turned their attentions to Jeff Hendrick of Derby with a fee reportedly now agreed.

If that's the case I believe he could be staying!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If I was a betting man I'd say Burnley will be forced into offering the full 10 million at the eleventh hour and like the Ulloa price, we'll be slack jawed when it is announced

Question is have we already got his replacement in Norwood

I think you're right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here