Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EFL Trophy Group Stage Draw 27 July - Confirmation of Category 1 Academy invitations

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Ask the League 1 and 2 teams what they think.

To be honest, I'm only interested in what my club thinks. We are buying some decent quality playing time to develop our younger players and to paraphrase Mr Barber, make sure those who can do so are first team ready. If the cost/returns ratio didn't work for Albion, I am certain we would also have declined the invitation.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The probable lack of crowds at games for both the academy sides and for the league 1 and 2 sides (as normal with this competition) If fans don't turn up now to watch a div 2 team take on a div 1 team, why would they pay to travel / watch what is basically a youth team without any star names playing?

When we were competing in this competition whilst at Withdean, we tended to field a weakened side and our crowds were very poor. How will playing a youth team and more matches (by use of a group format) going to help? especially as you could end up with a meaningless final fixture in the group and no one bothers to come and watch? how many of our fans will turn up to watch us play against Orient at the Amex, especially if there is nothing riding on it? - how will that help the smaller clubs coffers?

With respect to your views, I don't see the relevance to Brighton of crowd sizes or income. This is an opportunity to allow our younger players to play men's football in a competitive environment. If no fans turn up or the match is a dead rubber, the same opportunity is there for our younger players to play match hardened lower league players which will help them develop their potential.

I wouldn't go out the Amex to watch a League/FA Cup game where we pull out half the first teamers and play a mixed bag of youngsters and unmotivated players who feel unwanted by the club. This is different. A specific team for a specific purpose and format without the underlying financial need to play a few first teamers to try and stay in a a competition which may have a money spinning tie further down the track. The object for us is competitive match player for the Development squad and whilst the crowd sizes are irrelevant, I would go to watch them play.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be honest, I'm only interested in what my club thinks. We are buying some decent quality playing time to develop our younger players and to paraphrase Mr Barber, make sure those who can do so are first team ready. If the cost/returns ratio didn't work for Albion, I am certain we would also have declined the invitation.

I'll agree to disagree, but ask you to look into the campaign Against League 3.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

You must have forgotten how much support you got from other clubs in your quest for a new stadium, it might be okay to sneer at L1 & L2 clubs but it's not so long ago that Brighton were a minor player in those leagues......

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I just don't understand the negativity on this thread. What's not to like. Our U23s get to play a bit of proper competitive men's football in readiness for a possible first team squad call up. I'll say it again - what's not to like?

If it was that good for the youngsters City, Spurs, United etc would have entered.

It is a horrible idea for a number of reasons..

It is completely unfair on the clubs in league 1/2, who very rarely get a chance for a cup final.

It devalues the trophy even more

When the league comes back with a proposal for B teams they already have an in

More games for younger players, I thought we needed less?

Tricky young players vs a League 2 clogger = injury

Another victory for bigger clubs over little clubs

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You must have forgotten how much support you got from other clubs in your quest for a new stadium, it might be okay to sneer at L1 & L2 clubs but it's not so long ago that Brighton were a minor player in those leagues......

This is about a terrible cup competition that no one likes. It's not about clubs in danger or fans of other clubs who seek help.

If you are that concerned then worry more about the bigger clubs who can poach the youngsters from lower league clubs for peanuts. These kids are the lifeline of some clubs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is nothing to do with League 3, which won't be voted on for a while.

I disagree. It's asking for Cat 1 Academies to field 'B' teams in a competition which was meant to generate income for lower league teams. It's a slippery slope.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I disagree. It's asking for Cat 1 Academies to field 'B' teams in a competition which was meant to generate income for lower league teams. It's a slippery slope.

It doesn't generate income at all. I expect most clubs lose money. All games are played in the evening where floodlights are being powered,Stewarding,staff etc in front of crowds quite often around 1000 who pay a tenner or less to get in.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You got a link for that by chance?

Now I'm on my pc it's easier to post the links.

http://www.againstleague3.co.uk/
https://twitter.com/AgainstLeague3

The Football Supporters Federation have also been involved in fighting it.
http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/category/against-league-3-2/

It doesn't generate income at all. I expect most clubs lose money. All games are played in the evening where floodlights are being powered,Stewarding,staff etc in front of crowds quite often around 1000 who pay a tenner or less to get in.

I know it doesn't generate income, but the Football League used that reason when they started the Trophy competition.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
no I

No I haven't forgotten and I woudn't sneer at the L1 and L2 clubs with their rich and varied histories that make up the fabric of our great league. But this competition is what it is for this season and I, for one, think it will benefit Brighton and Hove Albion which is my prime concern. If the format doesn't work then it will be changed.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Next match Stevenage Away on Tuesday.

Hughton said some of the first team squad will be involved.

I reckon Hunemeier, Goldson and Elvis will get a run out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here