Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old drinks

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Is Diat Pils still sold anywhere? Hope not.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Stones bitter. Used to drink that in the wheatsheaf in Worthing back in the 80s.
King and Barnes Festive and HSB, were other favourites

Other drinks from my yoof
Port and Lemon
Guiness and blackcurrant
Malibu and pineapple

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No

White shield has always been brewed by Worthington in Burton since 1829 and still is by Molson Coors who I work for. It is considered the only real ale in a bottle by Camera as second fermentation takes place once bottled.

You work for Molson Coors. I have to take my hat off to your marketing department with regards to Doom Bar, the rise of the popularity from a tiny brewery in Rock to one of the best sellers in the country is remarkable, mind you it is good stuff, shame that some of it is brewed in Burton though.
I would love to see the reaction on here if you took over Harveys and sold it country wide, not being nasty just would like to see if it would go down well with Sussex folk.
PS Keep your hands off of Dartmoor Brewery, Jail Ale is the ale of the gods.

A mate of mine from what was then called Rhodesia introduced me to cider and gin. A tasty, but lethal combo. Ideally to be drunk at the County Ground, while watching Sunday League cricket.

Another highlight of those Sundays was watching John Snow, fielding on the boundary, whilst smoking a fag.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You work for Molson Coors. I have to take my hat off to your marketing department with regards to Doom Bar, the rise of the popularity from a tiny brewery in Rock to one of the best sellers in the country is remarkable, mind you it is good stuff, shame that some of it is brewed in Burton though.
I would love to see the reaction on here if you took over Harveys and sold it country wide, not being nasty just would like to see if it would go down well with Sussex folk.

Not only did Molson Coors buy it, it expanded the existing site and all Sharps brews remain there.

Being a huge global brewery goes unnoticed as few people actually heard of them. But they are still owned by two families.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Not seen Lowenbrau for a good few years. Was everywhere in the mid 90's.
Don't see Caffrey's anymore either. Was I just young or did that stuff get you mighty pissed?

Lowenbrau relatively easy to find in London - one of the bars at London Bridge stocks it. Have also seen Oranjeboom on tap as well - now that's something I thought had disappeared for good.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Agree the marketing must have been good but please...............good stuff.......its bland shite.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Cherry B. Early 1970's Rohypnol .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

That is 50% of my worst nightmare when teamed up with Harvey's ....it is hell when you walk in to a Brighton pub and see those two as your ale choices.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Does it still have to be poured carefully due to the sediment?

That is stated on the bottle but I've poured a couple recently and there is little sediment in the bottom so I've poured it all out and it made little or no difference to the taste and clarity.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
It was a long, long time ago only just old enough to drink. The Imperial in Southborough (my god what a dump Southborough is these days) only Shepherd Neame pub in town but we drank in there for the Hurlimann. Pub is still there when so many in Southborough have closed down.

Apparantly the Imperial is very much worth a trip to. They serve Italian food as well which I have been told is well worth trying.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Does it still have to be poured carefully due to the sediment?

Even in the 'old days' they were easy to pour and most of the holding up to look at it was just for show. I knew a publican who poured it to ensure clarity then tipped the sediment in, he maintained it kept him regular. The old Bass was more difficult to pour to ensure clarity but this went possibly in the late 60s.early 70s.

When I started the thread I wasnt thinking of old beers from brewers that no longer exist more of drinks that are still available but never asked for like Gin & It Port and Lemon Brown and Mild.even traditiinal beer itself Mild and Bitter. Mickey Mouse etc.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
As a youth Royal Dutch Lager in cans
Cruicial Brew a Lager in a can at 9%
Tartan Special
Swan Lager