Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old drinks

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not seen Lowenbrau for a good few years. Was everywhere in the mid 90's.
Don't see Caffrey's anymore either. Was I just young or did that stuff get you mighty pissed?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

Orangeboom
Lager, Pernod & Black (LPB)
Gumby
Long Life

Long-Life-Beer-Cans-Flat-Tops-10-12oz-Allied-Breweries-UK-Ltd_49740-1.jpg

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Pompey Royal Brickwoods Star
Light and bitter until they started measuring .
They sold Skoll at the Liverpool arms HH
Milk in a dirty glass.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not seen Lowenbrau for a good few years. Was everywhere in the mid 90's.
Don't see Caffrey's anymore either. Was I just young or did that stuff get you mighty pissed?
Didint they sell Lowenbrau at the Swiss Cottage near the clock tower I also bought it in the Star HH in the 70s

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Snowball for the lady. Those glasses were a ******* to get clean before the days of glass washers. I used to dread being asked for one.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Didint they sell Lowenbrau at the Swiss Cottage near the clock tower I also bought it in the Star HH in the 70s

It was pretty much the beer on tap of most pubs for a couple of decades then got usurped by Stella.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Have you found some old stock left over from your pub days BG> You did used to run a pub didn't you?

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Guinness actually have a huge amount of failed products even within recent enough memory. When I started drinking, there was a "white Guinness" called Breo available which I remember quite liking. It was already basically dead at that time and vanished before I was actually 18.

There was also "Hudson Blue Ice Cider" which might have become what Magners did about ten years later, but didn't; "Toucan Brew" which was as far as I could tell, basically Guinness in a Duff/Duff Dry/Duff Lite style setup and a few other calamities. Kilkenny is basically gone here as its too similar to Smithwicks

I remember 'Guinness Bitter' in green cans in the mid 90's.

The one I really miss is the little brown bottles of Smirnoff Moscow Mule. Ten time nicer than Smirnoff Ice but the killed it off. Carling Premier? Like lager but poured like bitter. Lownbrau was rocket fuel too..

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I used to enjoy 'Mild'.. especially after some old timer told me if you put a dark rum in it, it was just like 'Porter' used to be. Dont remember seeing it the last few years, does anybody still serve it?
They have kozel cerny here which is very similer. Having said that, ive also seen a bottled beer here callled... 'Argus' ....its very cheap.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Yeah you can still get mild.

Some also drank 'mixed' which was half bitter and half mild - some locals drunk this in Stoke when I was at uni. Not actually that bad.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Mother In Law (Stout & Bitter)
Black & Tan (but not in an Irish Pub) (Stout & Mild)
Rum & Peppermint
Black Velvet (Guinness and Champagne if rich or Guinness & Cider if not)

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I used to enjoy 'Mild'.. especially after some old timer told me if you put a dark rum in it, it was just like 'Porter' used to be. Dont remember seeing it the last few years, does anybody still serve it?
They have kozel cerny here which is very similer. Having said that, ive also seen a bottled beer here callled... 'Argus' ....its very cheap.
Mild is quite a popular style among independent brewers, although pale ales are definitley the vogue. You also see a lot of porters and stouts.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
My old Mum always asked for a Brandy & Ginger. Last time I took her to a pub they had no idea what she meant!

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Stingo, Barley wine.

Does anyone remember a draught stout called Colonel Murphy, probably an early version of Murphy stout. Colonel Murphy was popular in the Whitehawk in the late sixties.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
That was Kaliber.

On a similar theme we used to buy non-alcoholic Amstel in Saudi Arabia and turn it back to alcohol.

We used to get the full strength Amstel in Oman,but it had to go on the manifests as 'holy wine':lol:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Newquay Steam Lager, very popular in SW years ago and for lager it was very good, never seen it in 15 years since I moved here.

Yeah,nice pint.I used to love HSD,Hicks Special Draught,I think the proper name was.High speed diesel/death was the locals name for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here