Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matej Vydra

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
We won't get a striker and the key player is an attacking midfielder that we really need as we'll lack the quality if we get one or two injuries there.

CH has mentioned this kind of signing and a defender but not a striker

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hi guys,

Regarding Vydra, the general view from the Reading fans is that he has clear potential. He could be a great player. The problem is, if you spend £7million on him, it's quite a large risk because you don't know what Vydra you're going to get. Will you get the one from Watford who scored a lot of goals at this level or will you get the Reading version of him who looked shot of confidence and couldn't hit the back of the net if his life depended on it.

Vydra has a lot to prove and could be a good signing for someone, but the price has to be right. If you commit £7million out of your budget on him then that £7million is gone. It's £7million you can't spend on someone else. If you're going to spend that sort of money on a player then you probably need a little bit of certainty that it's not going to go to waste. With Vydra you don't get that. His price should be around £3million based on what he has shown so far in his career. But in this day and age of money flying around maybe £7million is not so bad. The club will know what they can risk on someone.

If Brighton have that sort of money available then why not. You already have Murray, Hemed and Baldock so you are not reliant on Vydra. For Reading, it would be a bad move. We still don't have that main man striker and we don't have a lot of cash either. So we need our next striker signing to be right. Vydra would be too risky for Reading, but it could be a risk worth taking for Brighton, a calculated risk because you are already well equipped.

I felt that part of Vydra's failure at Reading was that he was not partnered with a good target man striker like he had Troy Deeney at Watford. I believe Vydra is a number 2 striker and should play off a target man for him to be most effective. He is a creative player and likes to move the ball around quickly. Other players are not always on his wavelength. At Brighton he would have Glenn Murray to play with. At Reading he was on his own. We probably didn't play to Vydra's strengths and didn't get the best out of him. Hughton is a good manager and I'm sure he would get the best out of Vydra so he could be an effective player alongside Glenn Murray or even with Hemed.

Didn't Murray play in the same team as Vydra last season when he was at Reading? How did that go?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
You are on fire tonight, completely agree with everything you've posted. Zamora would have been the difference, the goals he scored were the difference in every game and turned draws into wins. The reason we didn't go up is because we didn't have enough to win the many games we ended up drawing, we were just slightly short of quality in the final third.
We had a brilliant team last season with one flaw, the stat about goalscoring aside, it's clear that goals were the problem before we signed Knockers and Skalak and the difference in the team when we had regular suppliers of glorious chances, the goals were flowing. It's the first half of the season when we were hoping ordinary players like Van La Parra would make the difference but they were just equally short on quality. Murray has shown both last season's first choice strikers what a true top Championship forward is all about, he's a class apart.

or we concede one goal to many against boro at home.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
or we concede one goal to many against boro at home.

You can re-write history as much as you want, but our problem until the end of january was goalscoring. The final part of the season flattered us and made up for it statistically, but the truth is we didn't score enough goals up to that point and that's exclusively the fault of our strikers and midfielders who very simply didn't take their chances. If we had turned one of the draws into wins, we'd have gone up - and that's basically that.

Obviously, so far this season, goalscoring hasn't been a problem. Thanks to Glenn Murray and Anthony Knockaert.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
You can re-write history as much as you want, but our problem until the end of january was goalscoring. The final part of the season flattered us and made up for it statistically, but the truth is we didn't score enough goals up to that point and that's exclusively the fault of our strikers and midfielders who very simply didn't take their chances. If we had turned one of the draws into wins, we'd have gone up - and that's basically that.

Obviously, so far this season, goalscoring hasn't been a problem. Thanks to Glenn Murray and Anthony Knockaert.

We can all be accused of re writing history.

We were equal top goal scorers in the league.

Or not turned 0-2 up against QPR into a draw we would have gone up and that's basically that.

Or not conceding a last minute equaliser against Burnley we would have gone up and that's basically that.

Or not conceding a 3rd against Boro at home we would have gone up and that's basically that.

The issue wasn't scoring enough the issue was we conceded too many in my opinion obviously:)

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

Or not turned 0-2 up against QPR into a draw we would have gone up and that's basically that.

Or not conceding a last minute equaliser against Burnley we would have gone up and that's basically that.

Or not conceding a 3rd against Boro at home we would have gone up and that's basically that.

The issue wasn't scoring enough the issue was we conceded too many in my opinion obviously:)

Scored the pen against Wolves...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You really need to get over this, we are up and running again and last season is DEAD

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Think he is about to go to Derby. We showed interest in previous windows, not sure now.

That's what I heard at the Watford press conference yesterday. Mazzarri said the two clubs were talking and it wasn't up to him whether Vydra stayed or not. Doesn't seem to be part of his plans anyhow.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I don't know why you can't admit that we didn't score enough goals before February? It's not that hard is it? When we signed Knockaert and Skalak, we started rattling in the goals and we found ourselves top of the scoring charts, but before then we did not score enough goals, which is self evident because we didn't win the games you mention and by the way, the only one after February is the Burnley game which was a kick in the teeth for everyone.

Obviously, you can pull out individual games and say we conceded too many but if you really want to start criticising the defence, I think you're going to run into other problems.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Hope we're interested in him still. 7million must be about right if Pritchard was 8million, both made up of something upfront and add-ons. Vydra is only 1 year older but has 2 more full seasons experience in the Championship. He is proven when playing up top with a quality big man and we have Murray and Hemed for him to play off. Not just a poacher either, he has a bit of quality on the ball to bring others into the game. If a good team gets him in on a permanent deal I think he'll be a success, again.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Hope we're interested in him still. 7million must be about right if Pritchard was 8million, both made up of something upfront and add-ons. Vydra is only 1 year older but has 2 more full seasons experience in the Championship. He is proven when playing up top with a quality big man and we have Murray and Hemed for him to play off. Not just a poacher either, he has a bit of quality on the ball to bring others into the game. If a good team gets him in on a permanent deal I think he'll be a success, again.

Agree with this. Vydra, Duffy, Norwood, Murray and Sidwell will represent a very good window, especially if we keep Stephens and Dunk.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hi guys,

Regarding Vydra, the general view from the Reading fans is that he has clear potential. He could be a great player. The problem is, if you spend £7million on him, it's quite a large risk because you don't know what Vydra you're going to get. Will you get the one from Watford who scored a lot of goals at this level or will you get the Reading version of him who looked shot of confidence and couldn't hit the back of the net if his life depended on it.

Vydra has a lot to prove and could be a good signing for someone, but the price has to be right. If you commit £7million out of your budget on him then that £7million is gone. It's £7million you can't spend on someone else. If you're going to spend that sort of money on a player then you probably need a little bit of certainty that it's not going to go to waste. With Vydra you don't get that. His price should be around £3million based on what he has shown so far in his career. But in this day and age of money flying around maybe £7million is not so bad. The club will know what they can risk on someone.

If Brighton have that sort of money available then why not. You already have Murray, Hemed and Baldock so you are not reliant on Vydra. For Reading, it would be a bad move. We still don't have that main man striker and we don't have a lot of cash either. So we need our next striker signing to be right. Vydra would be too risky for Reading, but it could be a risk worth taking for Brighton, a calculated risk because you are already well equipped.

I felt that part of Vydra's failure at Reading was that he was not partnered with a good target man striker like he had Troy Deeney at Watford. I believe Vydra is a number 2 striker and should play off a target man for him to be most effective. He is a creative player and likes to move the ball around quickly. Other players are not always on his wavelength. At Brighton he would have Glenn Murray to play with. At Reading he was on his own. We probably didn't play to Vydra's strengths and didn't get the best out of him. Hughton is a good manager and I'm sure he would get the best out of Vydra so he could be an effective player alongside Glenn Murray or even with Hemed.

Welcome aboard. What's your view on Norwood?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't know why you can't admit that we didn't score enough goals before February? It's not that hard is it? When we signed Knockaert and Skalak, we started rattling in the goals and we found ourselves top of the scoring charts, but before then we did not score enough goals, which is self evident because we didn't win the games you mention and by the way, the only one after February is the Burnley game which was a kick in the teeth for everyone.

Obviously, you can pull out individual games and say we conceded too many but if you really want to start criticising the defence, I think you're going to run into other problems.

i dont know why you cant admit we conceded too many goals, its not that hard is it... :) more goals would have helped of course, the record before christmas wasnt brilliant with no margin of victory more than 1 goal, concedeing in most games, 5 clean sheets in first 21 games. December was where it all went wrong, and then the Cardiff anomoly (what on earth hapened there, i dont recall it). in such a tight season one goal either way from either end would have made the difference, i suppose.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nowhere had reported / linked us with him get this thread gets to 20pages - Bizaare!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here