Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nahki Wells

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Wells scored more than Hemed last season (albeit in a few more games) and is certainly a better bet than Baldock. I agree 8 mill sounds crazy but by today's standards is about right.

edited: just saw they actually scored the same amount. fair enough.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Murray and Vydra would be a top two as good as any in the divison.

I don't get all the fuss about Vydra. He was superb for Watford three years ago but doesn't seem to have done much since. Reading thought he would guarantee them promotion last year too and he was very poor. He may return to form but he's not the guaranteed superb signing that people make him out to be, in my view.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Vydra is a no 10 like Baldock which is what we need, hes proven quality.

Id be bloody thrilled if we got him.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I don't get all the fuss about Vydra. He was superb for Watford three years ago but doesn't seem to have done much since. Reading thought he would guarantee them promotion last year too and he was very poor. He may return to form but he's not the guaranteed superb signing that people make him out to be, in my view.

Totally agree.
As it stands, I'd like to see Murray and Hemed given a go together.Hopefully with another decent striker coming in.
Vydra isn't the player he used to be and would challenge for the bench with Baldrick, neither of which are realistically good enough to regularly start for a side chasing promotion. (Which I presume is the remit this coming season.)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Totally agree.
As it stands, I'd like to see Murray and Hemed given a go together.Hopefully with another decent striker coming in.
Vydra isn't the player he used to be and would challenge for the bench with Baldrick, neither of which are realistically good enough to regularly start for a side chasing promotion. (Which I presume is the remit this coming season.)

Vydra is 24, and has one poor season in a terrible Reading team, I think it's a little early to declare that "he isn't the player he used to be".
The thought of Murray and Hemed starting together does not fill me with excitement, IMO it should be one of them starting, pereferably Murray, with a smaller faster striker.
If we are going to drop a substantial amount on a striker I'd be over the moon if it was for Britt Assambalongo.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Totally agree.

Where is the pace in that forward line? I doubt we'll see Murray and Hemed together very often, although with those two in the middle they might have a field day with crosses once they catch up with the wingers

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Vydra is 24, and has one poor season in a terrible Reading team, I think it's a little early to declare that "he isn't the player he used to be".
The thought of Murray and Hemed starting together does not fill me with excitement, IMO it should be one of them starting, pereferably Murray, with a smaller faster striker.
If we are going to drop a substantial amount on a striker I'd be over the moon if it was for Britt Assambalongo.

I just think the sort of money Vydra would be could be far better spent.
I concede it would lack pace but with our wealth of wingers think the quality would shine through.
I'd be willing to trade a lack of excitement for a solid and effective partnership.
I'm confident we will sign a decent striker but expect it to be on the quiet and a name few if any of us know. Fast yes but I'm really not sure about the small part as I feel that limits options. We seem obsessed with signing small forwards and I can't think of the last one that was any good for us. ***Awaits being put straight***

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

This is fair enough but we could equally ask when Vydra last had a good season (answer: three years ago), and it doesn't necessarily follow that we need a big hold-up man with a nippy fella running off him.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick

Think Norwich had a 7 million bid turned down for Assambalongo

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I just think the sort of money Vydra would be could be far better spent.
I concede it would lack pace but with our wealth of wingers think the quality would shine through.
I'd be willing to trade a lack of excitement for a solid and effective partnership.
I'm confident we will sign a decent striker but expect it to be on the quiet and a name few if any of us know. Fast yes but I'm really not sure about the small part as I feel that limits options. We seem obsessed with signing small forwards and I can't think of the last one that was any good for us. ***Awaits being put straight***

Wardy wasn't bad.!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Huddersfield are bringing in a fair bit of quality this summer and their fans are buzzing.

Doubt they would sell Wells to a rival as they are probably looking to challenge the top 6 themselves.

As for Vydra, before his Reading spell he would of been top of my realistic list. Not sure he's all that now. Am thinking he peaked with that one season with Watford. Could be OK but could easily flop again. I'm on the fence about him especially as it would cost a lot.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
If we don't bring in at least 3 quality players then can see us missing out on a top 6 finish. At the moment it seems the club think by bringing in Murray then that's us garrenteed for promotion. Hope that isn't the case as it'll backfire.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
This is fair enough but we could equally ask when Vydra last had a good season (answer: three years ago), and it doesn't necessarily follow that we need a big hold-up man with a nippy fella running off him.
Last season he was at Reading, the season before that he scored 16 goals at Watford, that's not 3 years ago.
Regarding big man little man strike partnership. We were most dangerous when Hemed and Baldock were playing today together, if you swap Baldock for a similar player but one that can score double figures we'll be quite formidable, IMO.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
How i see it is we have Sam who works his nuts off and dosent score enough goals for the majority of peoples liking . Then we have the possibility and repeat possibility of spending a fair amount of dosh on Vydra who is good on his day but a moody F*** and may unsettle the team spirit , but there again may be good especially with our new found Czech deadball expert as a buddy .... For what its worth and its only an opinion . i would go with Sam and lets start ,or if we havent already look at a young guy , maybe Academy who can compliment .
Maybe we have to go down route of a Vydra type player , but Murray , Hemed , Baldrick . and lets not forget Kaz and The jock providing crosses as well as Knocky i dont think we are that bad. I am being optimistic here but i think one of the DEV squad will come through as well to complement.

Just my opinion but happy to discuss

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Not sure where this moody tag has come from for Vydra.
If I remember right he was bought permanently by Watford last summer for 4-5 mill and promptly loaned out without kicking a ball to a Reading team that was quite frankly a mess - enough to piss any player off if have thought?
Put him in our setup with the team spirit and Hughtons man management alongside a Czech teammate and I reckon he'll be a different player to last year

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Not sure where this moody tag has come from for Vydra.
If I remember right he was bought permanently by Watford last summer for 4-5 mill and promptly loaned out without kicking a ball to a Reading team that was quite frankly a mess - enough to piss any player off if have thought?
Put him in our setup with the team spirit and Hughtons man management alongside a Czech teammate and I reckon he'll be a different player to last year

I agree, I think he is fed up with being loaned out and needs to settle somewhere. I would e happy to break our transfer record and sign him for around 5 million. Bargain in my book

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Huddersfield are bringing in a fair bit of quality this summer and their fans are buzzing.

Doubt they would sell Wells to a rival as they are probably looking to challenge the top 6 themselves.

Yep, they must be buzzing. Signing Oldham's goalkeeper, a guy who was playing in the German regional leagues last year, some Croatian who played for a team just avoiding relegation in Russia and someone who was on loan at Morecambe and Aberdeen last season. Exciting times!

This place would be in melt down if we had signed any of these players. Except maybe the Croatian, Paurevic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here