Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An hour until I (and others) find out their fate...

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Again, thanks to you other awesome folks that have felt compelled to comment on this thread. You're all helping more than you know.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Good luck to you, hope you get sorted quickly. What other work can you do? Any NSC ers on here got jobs that need filling?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Cheers. For the last 13 years I've been doing some quite grim jobs (without complaint) being a caretaker at a primary school as you can probably imagine. I'm still weighing up my options currently. Wondering whether to take the 22.5 hour head cleaner post and try and find something else in the mornings or ask about redundancy. Lots to think about right now clearly. Jack of all trades, master of none.
I'd love to work with kids again as I seem to have a knack...being a dad of five has probably put me in good stead for that.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
My utmost wishes for you JBiz. I hope things work out after a day of rotten news. It will only seem that way for a while. Tis heartwarming, and i hope to you too, to know that people here care enough to try and help in any way they can. Best of luck.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
NSC at its very best - again !

Like others above, I've twice been made redundant and the 2nd time I made a major career change - took some effort, but boy am I glad I did it now.
You will have many options and thoughts going through your mind, now and over the coming weeks. My advice would be to get your CV updated ASAP and circulated to a couple of agencies, then ring them up for a chat. Good agencies will be very happy to find the time to talk you though any roles they may have that match your skills and experience.

Couple of key points - don't feel you still owe your current employer any loyalty, they've just shat on you. Your loyalty must now be to yourself and your family. So if something comes up before August, grab it and move on, but make sure your redundancy payment is still valid.

Avoid the need to stick with "better the devil you know" - I obviously know nothing about your work but I would fear that if you took the head cleaner role, your current employer would still have the skills of a caretaker but for the cost of a part-time cleaner - I would avoid that and look for pastures new.

Stay positive YOU WILL FIND SOMETHING - then in a year's time, you'll look back with a smile .....

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I have literally no idea what I'm talking about so take my idea with a pinch of salt.

You said you had received/were receiving an award from The Argus due to your work at the school. Is it worth calling them and potentially spinning this as a story.

Local man made redundant despite excellent charitable work with troubled children etc. I can picture it as a story in The Argus. Worst case scenario, they say they're not interested. Best case... Only takes one person in the right position to see your story and like the sound of you and you could be back on your feet.

:shrug:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Wow. Thank you NSC. Nice to know you guys have my back. I'll be reading and re reading all your posts when I get home.
I've been working here for 13 years.

As has been posted many times, seek legal advice as with 13 years service that is a healthy redundancy period to give up through a mistaken decision.

Really hope it works out and that someone appreciates all you have done for the kids at that school.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Awful news, sorry to hear what has happened. It's all very well the givernment talking about austerity but your case shows the painful, thin edge of the wedge. We are often reminded that we live in the " 5th biggest economy in the world " so some people must be making a killing at the expense of plenty of little guys.. As I get older I genuinely fear for the division between the haves and have nots.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
What can i say other than the very best of luck in your search for something else. There are loads of knowledgeable people on NSC who i'm sure will be of help to you. Stay strong.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The really 'hilarious' part to all of this is that I've been nominated for an award via the Argus for my contribution to the youth at the place I work. I do some one on ones with some of the kids with behavioural difficulties here and give up my lunch breaks to run and coach the school football team. I'm in a bad place mentally that's for sure.

Very sorry to hear your bad news. For sure you'll be in a bad place mentally, who wouldn't be, but from your post above, you've obviously been pouring your heart and soul into working with the kids and would be a valuable asset to any educational establishment worthy of the name. If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest that you download a list of schools, public and private, in the area, send your CV to each and every one of them. Probably the very last thing you feel like doing right now, but if you can catch them before the schools break up for the Summer, I can't believe you wouldn't get a positive response from such a mailshot. Wishing you the very best of luck.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I have literally no idea what I'm talking about so take my idea with a pinch of salt.

You said you had received/were receiving an award from The Argus due to your work at the school. Is it worth calling them and potentially spinning this as a story.

Local man made redundant despite excellent charitable work with troubled children etc. I can picture it as a story in The Argus. Worst case scenario, they say they're not interested. Best case... Only takes one person in the right position to see your story and like the sound of you and you could be back on your feet.

:shrug:

Funnily enough, I've done just that. What with losing my house because of Brighton and Hove council in the last month as well.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
*******s. And the kids lose out on all the additional stuff you did for them too. Lose lose for everyone. I know how important having a good caretaker at my son's school is and to downgrade the position is just plain wrong.

This encapsulates the country's race to the bottom at the moment. It's completely disgraceful and totally indefensible. We're sleepwalking into the total destruction of all the important things that make this country a great place to live.

Feel very bad for you mate. Hope you get something else sorted soon and good luck with the house situation too.

Moral decadence my friend, moral decadence.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
JBiz, I work for the council at CityClean, we will be recruiting refuse collectors and street cleaners within the next few weeks.
Maybe it nots for you, but, if you are interested, vacancies will be advertised on council web site.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
JBiz, I work for the council at CityClean, we will be recruiting refuse collectors and street cleaners within the next few weeks.
Maybe it nots for you, but, if you are interested, vacancies will be advertised on council web site.

Thank you bud. Nothing is below me pal, I've been cleaning up kids sick and poop for the last 13 years haha.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here