Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] In praise of Gordon Greer

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I have a feeling I am going to hate this off season. Nobody wants Greer to leave, nobody wants Calde to leave, nobody wants Zamora to leave. But old father time has other ideas.

Greer has been another magnificent servant to this football club.

I also have a feeling that you will be very happy with the new additions.....no guarantee,merely a feeling as the overall trend is up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He's been a great skipper ever since he came here. He was suspended when he arrived due to a red card, and received another one soon after he was eligible to play. He scored an own goal at Burnley with his head (he never uses his head) but made up for it by scoring another header in the right end.

He has been a good servant to the club even though he would never pass to Calde if he could help it. Thanks GG.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Signing Gordon was a massive turning point. We started playing the ball out from the back and the club owes him a lot. I hope he gets a good move to a decent club. He has been an inspirational club captain for so long. Thanks Gordon.

Would echo all the praise, the archetypal lovely touch for a big man. The foundation of so much of the great possession football we've played over the years.

Was the only decision that the club took today that wasn't an open and shut case.

Whether the club have got it right - well surely this means we are signing another centre-back so we wait to see who it is. If it's an experienced campaigner with top level experience like Upson then I for one won't be complaining and I imagine few will. If it's less than that...

As fans we've been very quick to praise our defence over the years but apart from that short time when Greer partnered Upson, and we had Bridge and Bruno in top form, for me it's never had that look of a ruthless defence of promotion winners. It's right that Hughton searches for such a dominant formula again, it's what Burnley and Boro had this season more than us.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Shame he couldn't be the captain to take us all the way. He's been a rock, and he never lost his place with us, just got injured and saw two great young defenders take over, the way it goes.

One of my treasured possessions is the photo of Gordon and my daughter at the start of the Burnley game 4 seasons ago when she was the mascot. She still talks about that day

Good luck Gordon, you'll be missed

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We might regret that decision or maybe GG didn't want to sit on the bench for a season. Either way he's a great player and I wish him well for the future. Goldson is our future he reminds me of a young GG.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
He's been a great skipper ever since he came here. He was suspended when he arrived due to a red card, and received another one soon after he was eligible to play. He scored an own goal at Burnley with his head (he never uses his head) but made up for it by scoring another header in the right end.

He has been a good servant to the club even though he would never pass to Calde if he could help it. Thanks GG.

Didn't notice the Calde thing.... What's your theory? Tension?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
So long to an under appreciated player by many but the facts show our defence with him as the captain and lynchpin has been immense. Good luck wherever you end up next captain, you will he missed. Thanks for the memories GG.

FA-Cup-third-round-Saturday-3-January.jpg

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks Gordon. Vastly underrated and a great club captain.

But how the **** did you miss that open goal against Cardiff?

I wish him well for the future, he's still comfortably Championship standard.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Gordon Greer has been bloody brilliant for this club.

Sometimes players seem to have been with us forever, they seem to be part of the furniture, to somehow 'be' Brighton players. He is one of these, and it makes me sad that he won't be here next year.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
What a signing he has been. £250K for six seasons where he's been a huge part of the defence every season (and a defence that has often been our strength). It's a shame he is going but, as with the others, it is probably the right time. Goldson and Dunk looked brilliant last season and you'd imagine Huhnemeier will be back up when fit.

I am sure he'll get a League 1 club and be a crucial part of them. Maybe he should go back to Swindon and admit his "sideways" move did not go well.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Amusing, this repeatedly-used word for departing footballers... 'servant'. When you've left a job, have you ever been described in retrospect as a servant?

[ Well, unless that was the role you were actually performng, in an upsatirs, downstairs kind of way]

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Along with the lads and lasses from BHAlba I was proud to be the kit sponsor for GG for a number of years. Pulled out this year when they ended the kit sponsors meal and merged it with the end of season bash. He was a top bloke, and has been a superb player over the 6 seasons with us. In that time he finally gained his call up to the Scotland team and played in a couple of qualifiers! All the best to him and hope he finds another club soon. Perhaps a return to Scotland?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Thanks GG
Great Captain .

Wishing you all the best in your career. I will treasure the photo of you and my Grandaughter when she was Captains mascot V Wigan in 2014.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here