Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's in our hands

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Need 39 points from 17 games to get second IMO.

13 wins from 17.

13 wins from 17! Interestingly who could beat us with the 1st team we have? Boro is the only one who's looks a class apart; but getting Bong and or LR back are crucial. Get a Glenn Murray in and then....

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
13 wins from 17! Interestingly who could beat us with the 1st team we have? Boro is the only one who's looks a class apart; but getting Bong and or LR back are crucial. Get a Glenn Murray in and then....

Current prediction

Bolton - 3
Hull - 0
Cardiff - 1
Bristol c - 3
Leeds - 3
Preston - 1
Shef w - 1
Reading - 3
Mk Dons - 3
Burnley - 1
Birmingham - 1
Forest - 1
Fulham - 3
QPR - 1
Charlton - 3
Derby - 1
Mboro - 0

28 points and 81 total which would put us probably 5th with our goal difference.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Current prediction

Bolton - 3
Hull - 0
Cardiff - 1
Bristol c - 3
Leeds - 3
Preston - 1
Shef w - 1
Reading - 3
Mk Dons - 3
Burnley - 1
Birmingham - 1
Forest - 1
Fulham - 3
QPR - 1
Charlton - 3
Derby - 1
Mboro - 0

28 points and 81 total which would put us probably 5th with our goal difference.

Think we might get more out of Cardiff, Preston, Birmingham and Preston; this is being optimistic but it wouldn't surprise me if we managed to turn them over.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Current prediction

Bolton - 3
Hull - 0
Cardiff - 1
Bristol c - 3
Leeds - 3
Preston - 1
Shef w - 1
Reading - 3
Mk Dons - 3
Burnley - 1
Birmingham - 1
Forest - 1
Fulham - 3
QPR - 1
Charlton - 3
Derby - 1
Mboro - 0

A very pessimistic set of predictions, I suggest.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Current prediction

Bolton - 3
Hull - 0
Cardiff - 1
Bristol c - 3
Leeds - 3
Preston - 1
Shef w - 1
Reading - 3
Mk Dons - 3
Burnley - 1
Birmingham - 1
Forest - 1
Fulham - 3
QPR - 1
Charlton - 3
Derby - 1
Mboro - 0

Win 7, draw 8 - turn 3 of those draws into wins and we are right in the mix.

However, I think we will get beat by someone else other than the top 2 somewhere along the way - but then so will the others!!!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Such a long way to go yet anything can happen.we just need to stay in the moment and take 1 game at a time.we proved already this season we can hold are own against any team but were well in with a strong shout be it playoff s or automatic

This. The thread title makes no sense with 17 games left. Bolton have picked up and will come with renewed confidence. They have had an horrendous time, but still have some decent players and a manager who knows which way is up.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

PG

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
This. The thread title makes no sense with 17 games left. Bolton have picked up and will come with renewed confidence. They have had an horrendous time, but still have some decent players and a manager who knows which way is up.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

PG

Totally ... we're 20/1 for a reason. Those odds can change dramatically over a short period as I hope they will but right now we're good outsiders

I can't see anything other than a 4th/5th right now but if we can come away from Hull without losing I'd certainly re-assess (assumes we beat Bolton)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Think we might get more out of Cardiff, Preston, Birmingham and Preston
How many points do you think we can get from Preston, 6?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
It's in our hands (up).

crowd.jpg

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Technically, it is 'not in our hands' as even winning all our games could in theory mean we finish behind Boro and Hull if they will all bar the game against Albion given their far superior GD. Certainly MKD could do us a favour tonight.

More realistically, consider the likely points target required: in 5 of the last 10 seasons, 86 has been enough. IMO, given the competitive nature of the top part of Championship this season, and the tendency for teams to ebb and flow at different times, it is likely that 86 will be enough this season.

This means Derby & SW need to win 11 games out of 16; possible (Watford came from a long way back last season) but unlikely, particularly with managerial upheavals at Derby. I think it is down to the top 4. Albion need 10 wins; the top three could make 86 with 9 wins and a few draws. (there are ways of getting to 86 without this number of wins but requires more draws than likely).

Potentially this makes for a closer finish than we have seen for many seasons; Boro and Hull are in driving seat but Burnley & Albion have recovered after dodgy period. Albion have the advantage of nearly a complete team either recently signed or coming back from injury at a time when games come thick and fast. It probably needs Hull & Boro to lose some of their defensive solidity to overtake them, but this could be very exciting.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What you are missing is that apart from us beating the teams above us they will be also playing each other so maximum points for all teams apart from against us is not possible.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What you are missing is that apart from us beating the teams above us they will be also playing each other so maximum points for all teams apart from against us is not possible.
Yes, indeed, but Midds have a game in hand so can afford to lose their game with Hull, and still finish above us along with Hull.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So ideally we need Middlesbro to win all of their games bar against us and we aim for 2nd and forget 1st place, all really hypothetical as no team will win all their games and not drop a point.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Bolton wont be the given that many people expect. Like someone else said, they have picked up their game. They nicked a win in the 92nd minute last Sat which will breed confidence. Saying that, if we are on our game then i think most teams will struggle against us.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Technically, it is 'not in our hands' as even winning all our games could in theory mean we finish behind Boro and Hull if they will all bar the game against Albion given their far superior GD. Certainly MKD could do us a favour tonight.

More realistically, consider the likely points target required: in 5 of the last 10 seasons, 86 has been enough. IMO, given the competitive nature of the top part of Championship this season, and the tendency for teams to ebb and flow at different times, it is likely that 86 will be enough this season.

This means Derby & SW need to win 11 games out of 16; possible (Watford came from a long way back last season) but unlikely, particularly with managerial upheavals at Derby. I think it is down to the top 4. Albion need 10 wins; the top three could make 86 with 9 wins and a few draws. (there are ways of getting to 86 without this number of wins but requires more draws than likely).

Potentially this makes for a closer finish than we have seen for many seasons; Boro and Hull are in driving seat but Burnley & Albion have recovered after dodgy period. Albion have the advantage of nearly a complete team either recently signed or coming back from injury at a time when games come thick and fast. It probably needs Hull & Boro to lose some of their defensive solidity to overtake them, but this could be very exciting.

So if we score an average of 2 goals more than them each match it is in our hands. So it's in our hands, I told you we need to score lots of goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here