Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elvis Manu

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You agree that you can`t judge him based on 45 minutes, but by my reckoning you have posted half a dozen negative posts on Manu, based on just that.

Quite possibly, but there is a big difference in commenting he is poor end of story, than just highlighting 2 poor performances, which I can't see the problem with if it is in different threads.

I'm fairly certain I haven't completely written him off anywhere, unless you know different.

I did think it was interesting that Hughton didn't deliver a more positive spin post Wolves though.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The clip in this thread shows him SURROUNDED by four defenders away from whom he somehow wriggles to score a crucial winning goal... :)

Fair point. I saw a different video. Some of the others who knock people who disagree with them are annoying. I am pro Albion and all Albion players. Views are views and this is a site to debate, not to fall into line. He can and hopefully will be a huge success. Not all Albion signings are.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A 45 minutes that most on this board didn't see first hand, so their view is just their interpretation of Warren Aspinall's opinion.

Don't be daft, he should count himself lucky getting 45 mins. It's normally 10 mins a best.

Seriously though, I thought he did some good things against Wolves. Just needs to to get used to how his team mates around him play. Baldock and Hemed have had time to form a partnership.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hes not a winger thas why

Manu is a winger as much as Baldock is.

Funny that Feyenord seemed to think he was then - that's where he apparently played last season, and googling him suggests his position is as much a left wing as a general forward, depending on which source you go to. For (allegedly) £1.5M I'd expect him to be a bit adaptable anyway, wouldn't you?

.....and correct me if I'm wrong, but the general impression I got last season was that before he got injured, Baldock was doing a pretty good job, albeit reluctantly, on the left wing

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Its odd how some people are so negative about a new signing, when there is absolutely NOTHING to base any negativity on. Assumptions that its "not a Hughton signing", that he's "not impressed in training", that he's "an expensive duff signing" - all this is pure speculation that is based on absolutely nothing. Ridiculous.

I swear some people WANT him to be crap, just so they can bounce their posts and say "See. Told ya". :rolleyes:
Yes yes i want him to fail, i want him to be crap etc etc. Seriously why bother to write this childish shit?

Something isn't sitting right with this signing and i tried to give a few reasons as to why. But in your books i'm automatically deemed to be writing him off and negative bla bla bla.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So basically off 45 minutes football
I tried to explain to you but you obviously have trouble reading like some on here. Don't worry it's quite a contagious thing on NSC

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I tried to explain to you but you obviously have trouble reading like some on here. Don't worry it's quite a contagious thing on NSC

Spence there are also quite a few who have serious issues with watching and listening. There have been so many examples over the years of players who have been signed and done nothing for 6-12 months and gone on to be club heroes.

Michelle Kuipers wasn't he hauled off at half time on debut ?
Guy Butters didn't some wag offer him for sale on eBay ?
Stuart "sicknote" Storer who hardly played in his first season ?

If you are going to write such drivel, based on 45 minutes of football, something you imagine is going on in the manager's head and a feeling in your water, you can not be offended when people don't quite manage to see it your way.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If that's true, CH must think Elvis is not up to it. Given how March has played this season.

I don't think that's the case at all. I have the feeling CH wants to give Solly March as much opportunity to prove he is ready to play a part at Brighton this year or whether he might need to go out on loan to a lower league where he wont find it as difficult and where he might improve his confidence and hopefully come back a better player.

Solly is quite a shy lad. I sometimes compare him with Jamie O'Hara. Both very similar in ability at that age but O'Hara was so self confident that he really pushed on at an early age. Solly is very different in personality in that he doesn't have the same self confidence which in young players can sometimes slow down their development

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
I think he will be a player who performs better at home and will make substitute appearances away from home for the time being. I think we will see a midfield of kayal Stephens march and rosenior today

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Spence there are also quite a few who have serious issues with watching and listening. There have been so many examples over the years of players who have been signed and done nothing for 6-12 months and gone on to be club heroes.

If you are going to write such drivel, based on 45 minutes of football, something you imagine is going on in the manager's head and a feeling in your water, you can not be offended when people don't quite manage to see it your way.

To be fair on [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION], he did put across his point in the other post, so it is really people choosing to ignore it and to call it 'drivel' is a bit harsh, at the end of the day NSC is all about opinions.

Those suggesting NSC-ers want our own players to fail, frankly are ridiculous. There (sadly), will always be players who become 'scapegoats' and today it's not difficult to predict that it'll probably end up being March, Greer or Stockdale if we don't win. If Elvis plays and performs of course he'll be an instant hero.

I would be interested to know at what point do you think a player is not going to make it?

Also, if you signed for a new club, surely you would be desperate to make a good impression with manager and fans, whether it is in 10, 45 or 90 minutes. For me that involves hopefully showing a good touch, movement and having an impact, and if that isn't possible due to the style of the game, then putting in a shift in, chasing 'lost causes' and showing a desire and appetite for playing.

I know you don't agree with my post on this subject, which is fair enough, but the above questions are slightly OT - so apologies.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think he will be a player who performs better at home and will make substitute appearances away from home for the time being. I think we will see a midfield of kayal Stephens march and rosenior today

Good point and yes agreed.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Fair point. I saw a different video. Some of the others who knock people who disagree with them are annoying. I am pro Albion and all Albion players. Views are views and this is a site to debate, not to fall into line. He can and hopefully will be a huge success. Not all Albion signings are.

It would be blatantly unfair to judge someone on 45 minutes. He could be a real success or this season's Toko, who then leaves in January. Judging a footballer's ability is not an exact science, to say nothing of how their talents then fit in and whether he will adapt to football and indeed living in another country.
The fact that his appearances have been limited may just simply be due to the success of the team and you "never change a winning team". Mention has been made of how different football is here as compared to Holland, in that it is more physical, and so I had assumed that the reason why he has not played too much is that he might be on an extensive weight training programme? But who knows? Time will tell.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes yes i want him to fail, i want him to be crap etc etc. Seriously why bother to write this childish shit?

Something isn't sitting right with this signing and i tried to give a few reasons as to why. But in your books i'm automatically deemed to be writing him off and negative bla bla bla.

e0aab7222645d62bf4b1af89f594411f18b7a208.jpg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Whenever our team played football in Holland we found it a very different experience to playing here :smokin:

Christ sake he has barely kicked a ball for us. Could his ommission be for the simple reason that he did not have a pre-season with the squad? Why would Hughton rush him in with Lua Lua/Murphy/Rosenior performing so well.

Let's see what happens today. I'd expect him to make some sort of appearence just as much as I will expect March to be starting. The bloke scored 14 goals in the Dutch first division and Europe. I'd imagine he will end up being bloody good, albeit if he is afforded time.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
To be fair on [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION], he did put across his point in the other post, so it is really people choosing to ignore it and to call it 'drivel' is a bit harsh, at the end of the day NSC is all about opinions.

I would be interested to know at what point do you think a player is not going to make it?

When he can't get into a side that is struggling, with form and injuries - not when we are top of the league ! I might think about it then.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Pleasing to hear Hughton make those comments as I was a bit concerned he didn't rate him given he wasn't in the starting 11 last weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here