Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official not really bothered about the Rugby World Cup Thread

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I agree with all of that. I have tried in the past, honestly I have; but for all those reasons its just impossible to not find yourself mentally wandering off somewhere else after about nine minutes. As a spectacle its up there with watching traffic.

Superbly articulated! Yes, it's traffic watching 'fun'. Might pop along to the M40 and spot some seagulls heading 'north' this morning...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's a great thinking mans sport, perhaps this is why it doesn't manage to penetrate the psyche of the average football fan....... 《lights blue touch paper and retires to a safe distance》
I'll bite, it's not and I'd swap 'thinking' for 'puzzling'. If you want a thinking game, go and watch chess. Plenty of tickets available and save yourself a fortune. Take a book though for all the hold ups. Bit like Rugby.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well, if you do happen upon a free ticket let me know....

Our company were given a free ticket to last nights opener - Sales Director decided to put peoples names in a hat to see who got it. Out of 35 people 5 put their name in the hat and two openly did with a view to selling the ticket if they won. I wasn't one of the five - utterly over rated sport. Been to two matches - in one - Wales v South Africa - I was so bored I decided to support the ref who was English !

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I too am not a rugby fan, in fact I don't think I've ever watched it on TV let alone gone out of my way to attend a game. But I feel that this is a world cup, it's in my back garden & it would be stupid not to go. That said, now I see there's a live stream of the Albion I'm having regrets. Should have gone to the Sunday game! I'm interested how many, along with myself, will have eye pieces tuned to BBC Sussex.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Look up inverse snobbery, you may have just proved my point.

Oh, get you, Mr. Arrogant.

I don't need to look it up. You don't need to be such a pedant. Your comment was the epitome of snobbery, yet you had the effrontery to accuse me of being a snob (and yes, I know what you mean by the inverse kind...)

Get on the rugby lovers thread. This one is for people with a little more refinement, perspicacity and style.

:)

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I'm not a Rugby fan at all..prefer my sport to have action all the time...football,boxing.....but must say the England game was quite interesting,like the idea of a sin bin...players are quite willing to take a card...but going in the sin bin leaving your team a man down they might think twice about play acting and disrespecting the referee. Loved that you could hear the refs decisions. But the game has too many stoppages for me and understanding the rules....I could work out a rubiks cube quicker.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I too am not a rugby fan, in fact I don't think I've ever watched it on TV let alone gone out of my way to attend a game. But I feel that this is a world cup, it's in my back garden & it would be stupid not to go. That said, now I see there's a live stream of the Albion I'm having regrets. Should have gone to the Sunday game! I'm interested how many, along with myself, will have eye pieces tuned to BBC Sussex.

I genuinely believe that it is this wonderful attitude of: "There's a big event on locally, let's make it successful" that so many people have that has led to such massive ticket sales.

I registered to buy some myself, but had a moment of clarity when it came to the actually-buying-them bit, and kept my money.

I hope you enjoy it.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Look up inverse snobbery, you may have just proved my point.

I fear this thread isn't for you, read the title.

On another note my Facebook feed was overflowing with Rugby related guff last night, after the game I cheekily posted on one thread asking what the score was because I had been watching Ipswich v Brum, the apoplectic rage that post induced was hilarious. I even got defriended by someone I didn't even know liked Rugby after being accused of being unpatriotic! All very chucklesome indeed.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I genuinely believe that it is this wonderful attitude of: "There's a big event on locally, let's make it successful" that so many people have that has led to such massive ticket sales.

I registered to buy some myself, but had a moment of clarity when it came to the actually-buying-them bit, and kept my money.

I hope you enjoy it.

Love rugby but I was the same, ought a couple of £85 tickets for today's game and then, a couple of weeks ago, thought WTF, I don't event WANT to go. Give me tickets to England v Wales, Australia, Fiji, Canada, Burgess Hill paper boys second XV, anyone but SA v Japan?? I sincerely hope everyone who goes has a great time but I'd be grumpy if I was having to go this afternoon.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Sorry to be so late to this thread but could I just confirm that if the England rugby team were playing their games in my back garden I couldn't be bothered to watch.

Play rugby if you must but don't pretend there's more than about 8 countries where it matters to anyone.

Feb 14, 2010
I think it's only the biggest game in two of the countries that take part in the world cup - and they are Wales and New Zealand. Truth is that in Germany, Brazil, America, Thailand, China and most of the world, the average punter wouldn't know it is on and certainly wouldnt know the rules. I still think however that of all the minority sports both rugby and rugby league internationals are good viewing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I've got a minimum price ticket for SA v Japan, so I guess I fall into that category. Can't lie, I'm NOT that bothered about the RWC, but I do believe in turning out to support big events on locally, whether it be the RWC or the Aussies v Sussex at Hove, or the Brighton Marathon, or the Tour De France or the Veteran Car Run or the Brighton Festival or Fatboy Slim on the beach etc. etc. Serves as an occasional useful reminder of just how lucky we are to live where we live. Personally I think that if you ever get totally blasé about big events held locally then maybe its time to move somewhere less interesting instead.

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I fear this thread isn't for you, read the title.

On another note my Facebook feed was overflowing with Rugby related guff last night, after the game I cheekily posted on one thread asking what the score was because I had been watching Ipswich v Brum, the apoplectic rage that post induced was hilarious. I even got defriended by someone I didn't even know liked Rugby after being accused of being unpatriotic! All very chucklesome indeed.
That made me smile a tad....but you are right, I will take my broad ranging, eclectic enthusiasm for sport, to a less one eyed thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here