Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jonathan Calleri

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Ed Malyon (The Mirror's Spanish/European football correspondent) was tweeting about Premier League interest in Calleri. I mentioned that we'd also been linked. This was his response:

"You were offered him and keen but never had a chance. Stoke have had interest even longer, as have bigger clubs across Europe."

BHAFC_SWC

honorary pierced weirdo
Feb 26, 2013
West Sussex
Ed Malyon (The Mirror's Spanish/European football correspondent) was tweeting about Premier League interest in Calleri. I mentioned that we'd also been linked. This was his response:

"You were offered him and keen but never had a chance. Stoke have had interest even longer, as have bigger clubs across Europe."

Ed Malyon, that well known Crystal Palace fan?

Seems odd they would 'offer' us a player we never had a chance of actually signing, why waste their breath & our time if that was the case?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
So much BS has been on Twitter etc re this player. As far as I'm concerned we are still in with a shout until he's holding the shirt of another club aloft!

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So much BS has been on Twitter etc re this player. As far as I'm concerned we are still in with a shout until he holding the shirt of another club aloft!

Exactly. Until I hear for definite otherwise, I am sticking to the belief that he will become a Brighton player early in the January transfer window.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Exactly. Until I hear for definite otherwise, I am sticking to the belief that he will become a Brighton player early in the January transfer window.[/QUOTE

I am in the opposite camp to you and do not think either him or Bolanos is realistically going to join us and that TB is not going to spend €6m plus in January. In the summer perhaps, but January is renowned for panic buys and over priced players. I hope that I am reading this wrong but wont build my hopes to high.

The best I can see is a team like Chelsea or Arsenal buying him and loaning him to us to get used to English football ready for next season.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Exactly. Until I hear for definite otherwise, I am sticking to the belief that he will become a Brighton player early in the January transfer window.[/QUOTE

I am in the opposite camp to you and do not think either him or Bolanos is realistically going to join us and that TB is not going to spend €6m plus in January. In the summer perhaps, but January is renowned for panic buys and over priced players. I hope that I am reading this wrong but wont build my hopes to high.

The best I can see is a team like Chelsea or Arsenal buying him and loaning him to us to get used to English football ready for next season.

This thread I think should have ended a long time ago. These sort of players won't sign for a club like Brighton until we make the premiership. They are players hoping to break into their International team and it is unlikely that will happen if they play in the Championship.

I do think we will spend big and wisely in January on a striker but i think it will be a tried and trusted Championship scorer.

And most know I am one of the most Pro CH supporters on this site (so I wouldn't really knock him in any way). So whilst he has got a great record in the transfer market anywhere he has been in terms of signing players whose value has gone up dramatically after signing them, the only area where that has not happened is in the Striking department - The only real success he has had there has been Andy Carroll in bringing him through from the Youth Team at Newcastle, the others in truth have flopped.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This thread I think should have ended a long time ago. These sort of players won't sign for a club like Brighton until we make the premiership. They are players hoping to break into their International team and it is unlikely that will happen if they play in the Championship.

I do think we will spend big and wisely in January on a striker but i think it will be a tried and trusted Championship scorer.

And most know I am one of the most Pro CH supporters on this site (so I wouldn't really knock him in any way). So whilst he has got a great record in the transfer market anywhere he has been in terms of signing players whose value has gone up dramatically after signing them, the only area where that has not happened is in the Striking department - The only real success he has had there has been Andy Carroll in bringing him through from the Youth Team at Newcastle, the others in truth have flopped.

What happened to the dutchman he bought at Norwich Van Winkel or similar.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
What happened to the dutchman he bought at Norwich Van Winkel or similar.

Ricky Van Wolfswinkle, he's still a Norwich player out on loan at Real Betis this season scoring 1 goal so far. He scored just one league goal for Norwich, and has actually scored for them this season in the League Cup before his loan move. Did only slightly better at St Etienne last season either, 5 league goals in 28 games.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I hate it when people mess the quotes up.

I wonder where this one started.... mmmmm.....................................

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ricky Van Wolfswinkle, he's still a Norwich player out on loan at Real Betis this season scoring 1 goal so far. He scored just one league goal for Norwich, and has actually scored for them this season in the League Cup before his loan move. Did only slightly better at St Etienne last season either, 5 league goals in 28 games.

Linked with us on the rumours site in August...

I should know, I put it there :thumbsup:

TBF to CH for every Van Wolfs there's a Kayal / Rosenior / Bong :)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Linked with us on the rumours site in August...

I should know, I put it there :thumbsup:

TBF to CH for every Van Wolfs there's a Kayal / Rosenior / Bong :)

Thats what I said. His record in the transfer market is very good but not in the strikers department.

Ricky VW is a very good striker but he needs to be in a team which plays a system suited to his style of play. If you have a good midfielder threading through balls through the middle or over the top accurately, that suits Ricky really well. Norwich didn't have that type of player and the season CH got sacked they did not manage to get Tettey, Howson and Fer on the pitch all the time he was there due to injury to all of them at different times in the season

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Just discussed JC on Talksport. Tim Vickery (South American expert) said he had been linked with lots of clubs. Didn't think he was ready for Chelsea but maybe a good fit with Stoke. No mention of Brighton.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Just discussed JC on Talksport. Tim Vickery (South American expert) said he had been linked with lots of clubs. Didn't think he was ready for Chelsea but maybe a good fit with Stoke. No mention of Brighton.

If Tim Vickery (South American expert) does not say it is going to happen for us, then it definitely isn't going to happen.... maybe...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here