Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Of course not but the implication is that :
a) the club haven't acknowledged this or are unaware of the bleedin obvious - Hughton said "It's a concern" on Monday for example.
via: http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/14639337.Albion_defender_in_race_to_be_fit_for_big_kick_off/
b) aren't doing anything about it .

I'm glad Hughton is concerned. My responses are more to the people that don't see it as a problem or appreciate we are currently weaker than we finished last season

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm glad Hughton is concerned. My responses are more to the people that don't see it as a problem or appreciate we are currently weaker than we finished last season

I'm not sure there is anyone on NSC or at the club who thinks having one fit centre back isn't as Hughton puts it a "concern" and b) Where exactly are we weaker given we haven't sold anyone, Goldson doesn't have a long term injury, March is about to return to the first teams squad and Murray is arguably a stronger striker than Zamora.*

*this doesn't mean we shouldn't or won't make some first team signings. We will.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We do seem to cut it fine, makes it exciting and/or infuriating depending on your point of view.

In 2012 agreed when we made 4 signings on TDeadline day. And 2014/15 was a bit loan heavy.
This time last season though we still had to make 5 first team signings.
But overall not sure any closer to the wire than other clubs who have , for most part, also made limited signings. Nobody does all their business by the end of July.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The number of injuries we've picked up is worrying.
With Sidwell and Towell currently out we are desperately short in central midfield. Our back four (especially when we are down to one experienced centre back) looks very vulnerable indeed to a fast break either over the top or a runner through the middle and defending against crosses was none too clever last season and won't be improved right now, plus we are again having to worry about full backs.
Hopefully things will start turning in our favour over the next week and a half but listening to CH you would expect we will definitely be missing Goldson. Losing Rosenior too would be a massive blow.

Not a good pre-season all-in-all. I can't see us signing a striker until the end of the window as everyone will be waiting to see what happens and who might be free to move. Indeed quality experienced cover in any position will be hard to sign up before then.
A good August will make it easier to hang on to Stephens (as might a bad start for Burnley paradoxically). A bad start on the other hand might leave us more open to losing our prime assets.
Can't wait for 1st September when we'll know where we are.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Hall is 4th choice - but was a regular for Motherwell in the second half of last season. Played 19 times for their first-team. So he'd adequate cover.

Goldson has a knee knock, and I'm sure he'll be ready to be picked re Derby. The BFG is taking longer, but will have his sights set on a return. All four all play a part this season, signing a fifth would be a tad extravagant for a club trying to hold on to it's existing talent and losing £18 million a year.

So you believe there is no possible substance in the report we have bid £2 mill for Blackburn's Shane Duffy.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
With Sidwell and Towell currently out we are desperately short in central midfield which leaves our back four (especially when we are down to one experienced centre back) very vulnerable indeed to a fast break either over the top or a runner through the middle.
The defence is lacking when defending crosses, and we are again having to worry about full backs.
Hopefully things will start turning in our favour over the next week and a half but listening to CH you would expect we will definitely be missing Goldson. Losing Rosenior too would be a massive blow.

Its not ideal but here's the latest from Hughton on all of these. Not all bad news.

Hughton confirmed last night that Rosenior's knock was "minor"
“Liam received a knee in his calf, which will be sore for a couple of days, but he will also be fine."
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...lbion-pre-season-performance-yet-3208951.aspx

There's nothing to indicate from CH that Goldson is "definitely" out for Derby. Last word on this was here
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/14639337.Albion_defender_in_race_to_be_fit_for_big_kick_off/

Sidwell - all he's said was "Stevie Sidwell came off in the first game but I think he will be fine."
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...ness___and_looks_forward_to_Stephens__return/

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Its not ideal but here's the latest from Hughton on all of these. Not all bad news.

“Liam received a knee in his calf, which will be sore for a couple of days, but he will also be fine."
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...lbion-pre-season-performance-yet-3208951.aspx

There's nothing to indicate from CH that Goldson is "definitely" out for Derby. Last word on this was here
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/14639337.Albion_defender_in_race_to_be_fit_for_big_kick_off/

Sidwell - all he's said was "Stevie Sidwell came off in the first game but I think he will be fine."
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...ness___and_looks_forward_to_Stephens__return/

Of course Goldson is out for Derby, he hasn't featured at all! I'd say end of August is more likely, start of September.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007

Thanks for that. I'm most concerned about the defence right now. Don't give a goal away and you come away with at least a point. Right now I think it would be a surprise if we managed to do that against Derby.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Of course Goldson is out for Derby, he hasn't featured at all! I'd say end of August is more likely, start of September.

which part of the medical staff are you ?

Disagree , I personally think he may miss Derby but players are fit and he knows how we play and how the full backs play.

Reckon he can slot in and last 90 mins.

After all , average player runs 9k in a game.

Not couch to marathon !!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I must say I will be disappointed if we do not sign anybody else. 1 expect 1 permenant possibly CB and 1 loan possibly a striker

I'm certain we'll be signing a few more players and I'm certain they will be quality players, Chris Hughton did say at the start of the summer he doubts we'll have all our signings made by the time the season kicks off so I suspect we have our targets it just depends on when we can get them.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I'm certain we'll be signing a few more players and I'm certain they will be quality players, Chris Hughton did say at the start of the summer he doubts we'll have all our signings made by the time the season kicks off so I suspect we have our targets it just depends on when we can get them.

Yes since CH said that I've been wondering if one/some of our targets might not be involved in the Olympics?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
With Sidwell and Towell currently out we are desperately short in central midfield. Our back four (especially when we are down to one experienced centre back) looks very vulnerable indeed to a fast break either over the top or a runner through the middle and defending against crosses was none too clever last season and won't be improved right now, plus we are again having to worry about full backs.

Not a good pre-season all-in-all. I can't see us signing a striker until the end of the window as everyone will be waiting to see what happens and who might be free to move. Indeed quality experienced cover in any position will be hard to sign up before then.
A good August will make it easier to hang on to Stephens (as might a bad start for Burnley paradoxically). A bad start on the other hand might leave us more open to losing our prime assets.
Can't wait for 1st September when we'll know where we are.

Interesting view and I certainly agree with the majority of it.

The pre-season particularly is baffling. For me pre-season games are important in that they play a major part in building up fitness and starting to gain some sort of momentum psychologically. I do not understand why we played two games in one day or why we played Fulham. Injury wise, we had a fairly good pre-season last year, so it was inevitable at some time our luck would run out, and better now than later.

However, despite what others think, I really don't think Ince that bad a player and if we ended up with Ince and Kayal at Derby it wouldn't be the end of the world. Molumby even at ?16, might be worth a go on the bench. I too hope we hang on to Stephens.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Interesting view and I certainly agree with the majority of it.

The pre-season particularly is baffling. For me pre-season games are important in that they play a major part in building up fitness and starting to gain some sort of momentum psychologically. I do not understand why we played two games in one day or why we played Fulham. Injury wise, we had a fairly good pre-season last year, so it was inevitable at some time our luck would run out, and better now than later.

However, despite what others think, I really don't think Ince that bad a player and if we ended up with Ince and Kayal at Derby it wouldn't be the end of the world. Molumby even at ?16, might be worth a go on the bench. I too hope we hang on to Stephens.

I think you're right about Molumby.
I think he could be one to blood early.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here