Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Hope I am massively wrong but beginning to think that we wont see any inbound until towards end of August.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
We began the 2005/06 at Derby and signed a centre-half (Paul McShane) on the eve of the match. I imagine that we will do likewise this year.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Last year we made 5 first team signings after this date.

I am aware of that but would add that we released Greer and has so far failed to replace him and now with injuries to goldson and the German (who was injued last season so the club were aware of his prognosis) we are possibly going into Derby playing Bruno out of position and having DS on the bench as cover. Whether we signed 5 players in August and beyond last year doesn't change the fact above and counts for nothing this year. I would be concerned if this situation is not altered by next weekend, would you not also be?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My son and partner went to the training session this morning. Those present were those that we'd expect, i.e.:
-- no Goldson, March or Hunemeier
-- Stephens, Rosenior and Sidwell were all present so have worked, or are working, off their knocks.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Last year we made 5 first team signings after this date.

We did but we had also signed 4 first team members prior to todays date. Tomer Hemed, Gaetan Bong Niki Mäenpää Liam Rosenior plus a further 4 development squad players.

I am assuming you are referring to "after this date" as todays date?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We did but we had also signed 4 first team members prior to todays date. Tomer Hemed, Gaetan Bong Niki Mäenpää Liam Rosenior plus a further 4 development squad players.

And that's because we had released so many players and returned so many loans. There was always going to be less churn this transfer window.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
And that's because we had released so many players and returned so many loans. There was always going to be less churn this transfer window.

Agreed but some meaningful activity and an indication of urgency would be welcome.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My son and partner went to the training session this morning. Those present were those that we'd expect, i.e.:
-- no Goldson, March or Hunemeier
-- Stephens, Rosenior and Sidwell were all present so have worked, or are working, off their knocks.

Stephens had strapping on his knee, but did all the training.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

I believe we let six of our own players go in the previous summer and we have let six of our own players go this season. I agree we lost more loan players.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I am aware of that but would add that we released Greer and has so far failed to replace him and now with injuries to goldson and the German (who was injued last season so the club were aware of his prognosis) we are possibly going into Derby playing Bruno out of position and having DS on the bench as cover. Whether we signed 5 players in August and beyond last year doesn't change the fact above and counts for nothing this year. I would be concerned if this situation is not altered by next weekend, would you not also be?

yes. but then you seem to be implying
a) the club haven't acknowledged this or are unaware of the bleedin obvious or urgency - Hughton said "It's a concern" on Monday for example and no doubt its giving him sleepless nights
via: http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albi..._big_kick_off/
b) have forgotten that we're not actively chasing a target - Shane Duffy - and presumably other targets we don't know about.
c) we've turned down a couple of expensive bids for Dunk.

What more do you expect em to be doing ?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Only to pacify those panicking - we all know the club carefully keep all transfer stuff extremely quiet so we shouldn't expect to hear any indication of urgency or evidence of activity.

That's all well and good provided that we then have something to show for it .......arguably the end of August is leaving it too late. It would be great if one year we were quickly out of the starting blocks with incoming transfers and gave other clubs something to think about.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Agreed but some meaningful activity and an indication of urgency would be welcome.

Where's any indication that the club aren't going to add to the squad ? They've gone on record about a striker several times. Hughton as recently as last weekend.
And he's given almost a daily commentary on where things are re: the centre back situation.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Where's any indication that the club aren't going to add to the squad ? They've gone on record about a striker several times. Hughton as recently as last weekend.
And he's given almost a daily commentary on where things are re: the centre back situation.

Don't you feel like banging your head against the wall with some of these comments?

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
yes. but then you seem to be implying
a) the club haven't acknowledged this or are unaware of the bleedin obvious or urgency - Hughton said "It's a concern" on Monday for example and no doubt its giving him sleepless nights
via: http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albi..._big_kick_off/
b) have forgotten that we're not actively chasing a target - Shane Duffy - and presumably other targets we don't know about.
c) we've turned down a couple of expensive bids for Dunk.

What more do you expect em to be doing ?

To be fair my earlier post said I didn't expect a signing before the season started and that I for one found that concerning. I did not say anyway that I thought the club were unaware or complacent which seems to be implied in your reply just that as a fan I had hoped we may have filled this gap before now and that the fact that, as your point out, we made 5 late signings last year was irrelevant to the situation now.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
To be fair my earlier post said I didn't expect a signing before the season started and that I for one found that concerning. I did not say anyway that I thought the club were unaware or complacent which seems to be implied in your reply just that as a fan I had hoped we may have filled this gap before now and that the fact that, as your point out, we made 5 late signings last year was irrelevant to the situation now.

How did Hughton know that Goldson was going to get injured in Spain. ?

Its a 46 game season and if your CB target is , lets say, Shane Duffy. and Blackburn won't let him go until they've signed Y - do you abandon him completely just so you have a signing in place for 46 games of the season (if one is available of course) instead of 45 ?

We didn't last season which turned out alright . We presumably waited to land Uwe and Goldson a few weeks into the season despite having only 2 fit CBs (we had Glen Rea on the bench). We also had to do the dance with Dunk and be patient/nervous about a new contract that he refused to sign until the end of the month after flirting with Fulham.
If the league insist on having the window open a few weeks after the seasons starts then you can't be that surprised that our business continues up til that date as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here