Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Please don't tell me that, just like the wheel, they're not doing a discount for locals? The wheel is about a tenner a time, so I've done it once, but never again. However for a fiver I would probably do it at least once a year. It works for the Pavilion! :shrug:

I spend more than £13.50 on Harvey's at the Amex on a match day, and I seem to do that 20 odd times in a calender year! Seems a decent enough starting price point to me, especially given £20 per adult was mentioned a few pages back.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
d5aef354b721e05cacd4f755d90a2868.jpg

Pie in the sky, Liverpool. A little more impressive than Rhyll's version.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Please don't tell me that, just like the wheel, they're not doing a discount for locals? The wheel is about a tenner a time, so I've done it once, but never again. However for a fiver I would probably do it at least once a year. It works for the Pavilion! :shrug:

Residents will enjoy substantial savings on i360 rides and other discounts and benefits at the venue. More information will be announced later this year.

http://www.brightoni360.co.uk/plan-your-visit/opening-hours-prices

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been up the the St Louis Arch, seriously impressive:-

94738-004-A1250B61.jpg

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I know, but the idea is not new, even that one was sold to Rhyl by Glasgow. Having been to Rhyl on several occasions I can see why the idea failed - the view is, er to put it mildly, not great.........

Depends which way you are looking! Out to sea is fine, Rhyl is depressing. Mind to you they are spending loads on the seafront at the moment, just need to get rid of the inhabitants.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Quite rightly: as a resident, you own the Pavilion, along with everyone else. I don't think we'll really own that silly spaceship thing.

A "residents membership scheme" eh? Hmm. Sounds somewhat Barber-like but I'd hope to be wrong. This from their website:

Residents of Brighton and Hove (living in postcodes BN1, BN2, BN3 and BN41), and students at the Universities of Brighton or Sussex with a valid ID card, will be eligible to join our residents’ membership scheme. Residents will enjoy substantial savings on i360 rides and other discounts and benefits at the venue. More information will be announced later this year.

Last edited:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Hmmm . Residents of Regency Square and visitors at the sea view rooms at The Metropole may not be too pleased at being overlooked....Must have knocked a percentage off their value?.. I would not like the idea of London chavs looking down at me if I were still in central Brighton.
It's anybody's guess whether it will have a long term sustainable economic future. I see that it becomes a bar at night, which will be a novelty.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Is this based on some extensive research of these type of city tourist attractions, or just your hunch?

I don't know enough to comment, but given the Spineker was late, went over design budget, had design problems and eventual complete failure of the external lifts to work, BUT still made Portsmouth City Council a profit suggests to me that with Brighton's huge number of visitors throughout a calendar year that this will likely be a success and be profitable.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I360 - "The projected cost of the tower is £46 million, with £36 million being funded by a loan from Brighton and Hove city council.."

So, taxpayer money being used up front, with hope of making ££ down the line eh?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I360 - "The projected cost of the tower is £46 million, with £36 million being funded by a loan from Brighton and Hove city council.."

So, taxpayer money being used up front, with hope of making ££ down the line eh?

I think you need to read a few of the replies to you from earlier on that score. It's actually being funded with a loan TO brighton and hove city council.

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/planning/major-developments/i360-west-pier-observation-tower-and-heritage-centre

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Ahhh, so they're using GIANT Lego Technic to put it together are they?

Attachments

• lego-light-gray-technic-pin-with-lengthwise-friction-ridges-and-center-slots-2780-2-33899-66.png
    lego-light-gray-technic-pin-with-lengthwise-friction-ridges-and-center-slots-2780-2-33899-66.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 462

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
These comments are what everyone said about the Spinnaker in Portsmouth. Brighton will always have tourists. This thing will make big money in my opinion.

I think the design is a bit crap to be honest. Would have preferred something less high but more attractive to look at. Perhaps even a nod to the regency surroundings. This just seems a bit... meh

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
These comments are what everyone said about the Spinnaker in Portsmouth. Brighton will always have tourists. This thing will make big money in my opinion.

I think the design is a bit crap to be honest. Would have preferred something less high but more attractive to look at. Perhaps even a nod to the regency surroundings. This just seems a bit... meh

Parisians hated the Eiffel Tower.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is there any way you could make that bigger, I can hardly make out whats going on
I can't see whether the workers are looking inquisitive and satisfied or concerned. Is it going ok, or have they found some major flaw?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here