Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion sign Sheffield United winger Jamie Murphy on a four-yeat deal

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Only just turning my attention to the Sheffield thread - it was on page 8 this afternoon, and now it's on page 27. I've got a bit of reading and laughing to do.

D

Deleted member 2719

Would still be more goals in a season than any of our strikers managed last season which for a winger is a pretty good return

Just under 1 in 5. What do you want from a winger? His assist rate is goooood.

Let's hope he can score at least the same rate in the step up in the championship, his assist does excite me more, if Hughton let's him go past the half way line!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They don't seem to be in meltdown, which is a bit disappointing. I've copied this snippet from their forum:

"Murphy came with a big reputation as Motherwells best player.

Let's admit it for during his first 6 months he was poor.
Keith Edwards gave him plenty of stick on Radio Sheffield then during the final few months of the season he got better and better and was our main threat. Edwards made a public apology on the radio saying he never rated Murphy but he's been proven wrong and eventually he's shown his talent.

However last season up to Christmas he was again very ordinary.
We all wondered if Murphy was a 3 month wonder then after Xmas he got some form again and looked a real talent making his our best player again.

However Murphy seems very much a confidence player and let's his head drop when things aren't going well.
He's clearly very talented and on his day is a match winner BUT
He it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could struggle at Brighton and have a similar early career to Harry Maguire at Hull City."

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Let's hope he can score at least the same rate in the step up in the championship, his assist does excite me more, if Hughton let's him go past the half way line!

Cheer up fella. I think we need to give Hughton the benefit of the doubt here, his formation was cack last season but he had sod all to work with. Having had the summer to recruit some players I think we are going to see far more attacking intent from our team, we certainly had far more bodies forward against Forest and played 2 wingers actually on the wing, and we've just bought a new one that is rapid, can shoot and pick out a team mate.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'll have a go :lolol:

Same league as us makes a difference, and for the most part they were as abysmal as us last year. We've strengthened virtually every position now, so if we match what Fulham have offered him in wages what is the incentive to move? They offer nothing that we can't.

"If we match their wages" is a very big if, given the financial clout their recent time in the premier league gives them vs us.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I know this must sound very petty, but are there any other Albion fans delighted that Sheff Utd fans are annoyed at selling Murphy to us, for no other reason than payback for when they nicked Danny Cullip of us. I hope that's ruined their season :)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
"If we match their wages" is a very big if, given the financial clout their recent time in the premier league gives them vs us.
Possibly, but I'm not sure enough of Fulhams financial state (or ours) to make an informed opinion on that. It could be that a large percentage of their parachute payments are already accounted for with honouring PL contracts.

It looks like Bloom is going for it this season now, I hope we'll try and avoid another Murray/Barnes situation and find Dunk that extra £10k a week he's (possibly) set his heart on.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I will give you a quick insight into what I know of him.

I seen him play since the age of 16 at all levels. He is very slight player, bordering on the thin and he doesn't have a very powerful shot.

What he is though is very direct and extremely quick, with and without the ball. He is good finisher and can make a half a yard for himself in an instant to get a shot away and that's whet gets him a few of his goals. He isn't great crosser of the ball but his crosses aint that bad either.

His best attribute is his timing for arriving in the box and anticipation where a ball could potentially drop around the 6 yard box and he is just as quick with the ball at his beet as he is without it. He can play on both wings and through the middle.

The major down side is his defensive qualities but hopefully they will improve when he comes here.

This is a step up for him obviously but I watch a lot of Championship football and I have seen a fair bit of Murphy over the years and I think his standard of play is better than most in it. I think he can make the step up and hopefully he does and I look forward to hopefully seeing it

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
They don't seem to be in meltdown, which is a bit disappointing. I've copied this snippet from their forum:

"Murphy came with a big reputation as Motherwells best player.

Let's admit it for during his first 6 months he was poor.
Keith Edwards gave him plenty of stick on Radio Sheffield then during the final few months of the season he got better and better and was our main threat. Edwards made a public apology on the radio saying he never rated Murphy but he's been proven wrong and eventually he's shown his talent.

However last season up to Christmas he was again very ordinary.
We all wondered if Murphy was a 3 month wonder then after Xmas he got some form again and looked a real talent making his our best player again.

However Murphy seems very much a confidence player and let's his head drop when things aren't going well.
He's clearly very talented and on his day is a match winner BUT
He it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could struggle at Brighton and have a similar early career to Harry Maguire at Hull City."

Glenn Murray wasn't that great for large periods of his three years here but that doesn't stop the usual ****ing dullards mentioning him on a daily basis.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Look at the 'dunk refusing to play thread' for some angry comments at the idea, and compare to Hugo Rune's comment "That's how you do it Marshall! Go on strike if you have to - no shame in that; just get the move down south done asap!"

Whoosh!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I know this must sound very petty, but are there any other Albion fans delighted that Sheff Utd fans are annoyed at selling Murphy to us, for no other reason than payback for when they nicked Danny Cullip of us. I hope that's ruined their season :)

there's a few precious souls slagging us off on their forum!

http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/oh-well-thanks-jamie-murphy.41351/

dublin10blade: "I liked reading that Foxy , till I saw him holding up that B**e & white rag , it's the same when I go to see Leinster, or the Dubs can't say come on you boys in B**e , can't sing anything praising that colour"

Cyprus Blade "Sorry but the words "F*** off and die" came when I saw that blue and white rag. What have we come to when Brighton and effing Hove Albion represents a step up. "

"
Lane ended: Cyprus Blade said: ↑

quote: Sorry but the words "F*** off and die" came when I saw that blue and white rag. What have we come to when Brighton and effing Hove Albion represents a step up.

They are and always will be below us be patient "

and they've even quoted your post Braggfan, that i replied to above........ with the friendly and intelligent response of "bitter brighton bumboys"

they should be used to being inferior to clubs who wear blue and white stripes........ theyve always been smaller than wednesday and now even little old Rotherham are better than the blunts. Murphy has moved up the footballing pyramid, so no point for fans of Sheffields 3rd team crying about it. Will be interesting to see if the physio Adkins can defy the adage that says "you can't" and actually is able to polish a turd with the cash.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I will give you a quick insight into what I know of him.

I seen him play since the age of 16 at all levels. He is very slight player, bordering on the thin and he doesn't have a very powerful shot.

What he is though is very direct and extremely quick, with and without the ball. He is good finisher and can make a half a yard for himself in an instant to get a shot away and that's whet gets him a few of his goals. He isn't great crosser of the ball but his crosses aint that bad either.

His best attribute is his timing for arriving in the box and anticipation where a ball could potentially drop around the 6 yard box and he is just as quick with the ball at his beet as he is without it. He can play on both wings and through the middle.

The major down side is his defensive qualities but hopefully they will improve when he comes here.

This is a step up for him obviously but I watch a lot of Championship football and I have seen a fair bit of Murphy over the years and I think his standard of play is better than most in it. I think he can make the step up and hopefully he does and I look forward to hopefully seeing it

Copy & Paste

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
A great signing by the club. The season is potentially looking better and better. Bring it on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here