Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New deals for Calderon and Casper; CMS + others released

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
This squad stinks of failure and they were unable to raise themselves for vital games at Millwall, Rotherham or Wigan.
Some of the squad investment should include paying off some of the players contracts who he is not interested in but maybe cannot get rid off.
Keeping those players around the team environment will only ensure this season's negativity is carried over to next season...
Bring in the like of Rea.......

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Aye I'd have down as decent news. Fans favourite Inigo C is enough of a character and squad player to be worthy of keeping. Casper is certainly a good all round footballer, so a good example to those coming through for his ball skills.
Overall, if O'Grady ups and leaves and Colunga - who I had completely forgotten about - doesn't return, that's only s frontline with Baldock remaining. Some serious signings to be made, therefore. Could be an exciting summer.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
From the official site: "Craig Mackail-Smith, Aaron Hughes, Paddy McCourt, Vitalijs Maksimenko and Kemy Agustien will not have their contracts extended - and Hughton has thanked the quartet for their service to the club."

If that's a sly numerical dig at the Aggy for the thousands he's leeched from the club, I love it.

His name is rightly last

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Why is he sufficient for a number 3, when we were down to two fit keepers we went out and got Al Habsi on loan. This extension makes no sense to me at all, why have a keeper who you have no intention of playing on the books?.

Getting Al Habsi in on loan made absolutely no sense all.

Signing Casper makes complete sense. The club must have enough confidence in Walton to push Stockdale for the No1 spot. Stockdale certainly needs this. Casper will be cheap and can cover in the event of injuries to both Walton and Stockdale. It wouldnt be easy to sign a new keeper as 2nd or 3rd choice. Walton is a great prospect and signing another keeper would potentially push him down the pecking order, which could lead to him wanting to leave etc.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
From the official site: "Craig Mackail-Smith, Aaron Hughes, Paddy McCourt, Vitalijs Maksimenko and Kemy Agustien will not have their contracts extended - and Hughton has thanked the quartet for their service to the club."

If that's a sly numerical dig at the Aggy for the thousands he's leeched from the club, I love it.

Maybe CMS - i dont think we expected to be signing a long distance runner that couldnt control a football....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Overall, if O'Grady ups and leaves and Colunga - who I had completely forgotten about - doesn't return, that's only s frontline with Baldock remaining. Some serious signings to be made, therefore. Could be an exciting summer.
Strictly speaking, September the 1st is not in the summer.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Glad for Calderon, obviously, really didn't see him being offered a new deal. Provides adequate back-up all over the pitch and seems a great influence on the team. Got no problem with Ankers staying if he doesn't mind being third choice for another season.

Right decisions on the rest of them as well I think. CMS is a hard worker and seems a good bloke but he just can't do it at this level seemingly, and considering he is one of our highest earners it makes complete sense. Hughes and Kemy are earning a fair wedge as well and they're obviously not required. Releasing the five we have probably frees up a good £35k a week in wages.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Next season starts from tomorrow....

Therefore CMS should not be in the squad and if you want to say goodbye to him wait until the players do their lap of failure.
Walton should also be given a game as a warning to Stockdale.
Bring JFC back in to play behind the main striker.

I agree with all that accept for the JFC bit.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must admit that I am surprised that CMS has been released I thought the least would be a 2 yr contract then try to sell him in January to get somd money back. Casper must be on low wages but then people on here get carried away with wages offered. In the paper Waddington from Blackpool has been offered £150 a week by them.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Despite a lack of end product, I'll still be sad to see CMS go, it should always counts for something when a player can be relied on to put a shift in.

More importantly, Calde's been offered a new deal. My Albion mojo would be so low you'd have to dig for it if he were to leave.

No!! The object is to score or prevent scoring by the opposition. An American baseball manager said it best "Nice guys finish last" or something to that effect. In English football terms it would be "non scorers and poor defenders get relegated."

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I know it's the best decision for all parties involved but I do feel sad for CMS as he's always worked so hard to do well here and he seems like one of footballs good guys. Hopefully he'll get a new deal lined up back at Peterborough and do well there.

I think everyone would agree with those sentiments

Normally when we let strikers go they go to a higher up club and start scoring for fun :)

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I must admit that I am surprised that CMS has been released I thought the least would be a 2 yr contract then try to sell him in January to get somd money back. Casper must be on low wages but then people on here get carried away with wages offered. In the paper Waddington from Blackpool has been offered £150 a week by them.

:facepalm:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
You maybe right, but I think he offers a decent alternative option from the Bench. The real issue is who do we get to replace CMS? We need two strikers IMO so will be interesting to see who we try to get. Meltdown if its Best!

Pretty sure he'll be off Marshy. As someone else has said, Sheffield United are long-time admirers. The bottom line is, for all his public affability and effort, he's not good enough. Assuming Baldock stays, we'll need to bring in at least two new strikers, perhaps three.

We're going to be saying goodbye to a lot of players tomorrow.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
No!! The object is to score or prevent scoring by the opposition. An American baseball manager said it best "Nice guys finish last" or something to that effect. In English football terms it would be "non scorers and poor defenders get relegated."
Thank you for the clarification but, happily, the overall aims of a football match were something I was already familiar with.

I do get where you're coming from and of course end product is the only real yardstick by which a striker is going to be remembered. That said, to see a player repeatedly bust a gut for the team is something that should be acknowledged on some level, at least I believe so anyway. There are far too many Kemy's out there these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here