Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for Tony Bloom to step down?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No we aren't. The match against Fulham was unusual because

1: We had just signed a £22 million striker on loan.
2: Fulham sold out their allocation because it's a local game and a new ground.
3: You're ignoring the 4,000 no shows at that game.

£22 million striker?

Feb 14, 2010
No we aren't. The match against Fulham was unusual because

1: We had just signed a £22 million striker on loan.
2: Fulham sold out their allocation because it's a local game and a new ground.
3: You're ignoring the 4,000 no shows at that game.

Goodness me. Really? Darren Bent iwas the reason for the gate!!! Really you think that ?!? What's our average crowd this season before and after this crowd pleasing star you talk of in er Darren bloody Bent! You have to be kidding?! Yes Fulham brought down what they should do, 3000 odd. No shows as you and those who have this odd obsession of around 10% of STH not turning up for a game is standard around the country. Its just Albion percentage is higher because of the incredible STH backing. Now you will no doubt try and form an argument that the number of STH is somehow a bad thing as someone else on NSC did ! At times NSC goes beyond the absurd to the utterly ridiculous and you are going down that path. On the title of the thread however we can agree, Tony Bloom has been probably the best Chairman we have ever had, including Mike Bamber (perhaps).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Is this his cumulative transfer fees?

Frighteningly not.

The fees were

Ipswich-Charlton £3 million
Charlton-Spurs £16.5 million
Spurs-Sunderland £16.5 million
Sunderland-Villa £22 million

His 5% from each of these would keep us in running shoes for a while.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Goodness me. Really? Darren Bent iwas the reason for the gate!!! Really you think that ?!? What's our average crowd this season before and after this crowd pleasing star you talk of in er Darren bloody Bent! You have to be kidding?! Yes Fulham brought down what they should do, 3000 odd. No shows as you and those who have this odd obsession of around 10% of STH not turning up for a game is standard around the country. Its just Albion percentage is higher because of the incredible STH backing. Now you will no doubt try and form an argument that the number of STH is somehow a bad thing as someone else on NSC did ! At times NSC goes beyond the absurd to the utterly ridiculous and you are going down that path. On the title of the thread however we can agree, Tony Bloom has been probably the best Chairman we have ever had, including Mike Bamber (perhaps).

I agree entirely that Tony Bloom has been great for the club and have never suggested otherwise.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Frighteningly not.

The fees were

Ipswich-Charlton £3 million
Charlton-Spurs £16.5 million
Spurs-Sunderland £16.5 million
Sunderland-Villa £22 million

His 5% from each of these would keep us in running shoes for a while.

Jesus. I'm quite shocked by this. 5% of that lot and I'd pay someone to run for me!

As an aside, how you feeling after the race? Have you recovered?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

difference is/was Bamber knew a good manager and went and got him and travelled to spain to sign Lawro, before anyone else did, whereas Bloom was great at building a great stadium

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Jesus. I'm quite shocked by this. 5% of that lot and I'd pay someone to run for me!

As an aside, how you feeling after the race? Have you recovered?

Yes thanks, I woke up the following day and felt fresh as a daisy and able to run. Just very disappointing time on the day which I'm annoyed about but you get what you deserve.

Now looking for a few halves and 10k's for the summer.

When's your next race?

Feb 14, 2010
difference is/was Bamber knew a good manager and went and got him and travelled to spain to sign Lawro, before anyone else did, whereas Bloom was great at building a great stadium

To be fair to Bloom, Mike Bamber had a club that had a ground. Bloom didnt and had to build one but I'm not going to argue that Bloom was better than Bamber or visa versa, they were / are both great for this club and to compare then there are numerous factors you have to take into account. Who knows what Bamber would have achieved and how the history of the Albion could have been different. Who knows what more Bloom will achieve.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
To be fair to Bloom, Mike Bamber had a club that had a ground. Bloom didnt and had to build one but I'm not going to argue that Bloom was better than Bamber or visa versa, they were / are both great for this club and to compare then there are numerous factors you have to take into account. Who knows what Bamber would have achieved and how the history of the Albion could have been different. Who knows what more Bloom will achieve.

good arguement and cannot disagree the Bamber years were great and maybe just maybe so will the bloom days be good, but he needs to get a hurry on I am in my 69th year

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes thanks, I woke up the following day and felt fresh as a daisy and able to run. Just very disappointing time on the day which I'm annoyed about but you get what you deserve.

Now looking for a few halves and 10k's for the summer.

When's your next race?

I wouldn't worry too much about your time... just revel in the glory of finishing the distance. It's a brilliant, if slightly bonkers, achievement. And if you are still disappointed in a few months time there's only one way to do something about it!

I'm taking 6 months off due to a minor issue with my achilles. I've had it for some time, but I've "managed" it. I'm not planning another marathon until Chicago in Oct 2016 (my aim is to complete the 6 Marathon Majors) ; whilst my heel is not a big deal I thought I'd take a bit of time out to let it fix properly.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Going back to the original thread,

There is no reason whatsoever, as I understand, that TB couldn't sell all or part of his interest in the management of the club whilst retaining control of the stadium and training ground complex which is, as I understand, owned by him (albeit within a different plc) and is completely separate from the footballing side of things, and under a new club owner, would provide him with ongoing considerable income.

I may be completely mistaken but there does seem this possibility for TB to step back whilst NEVER completely relinquishing control, all this if indeed he did not feel it appropriate at this time to invest any further substantial funds for whatever reason.

Perhaps someone wiser could clear up my misunderstanding on this ?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Even if some-one was around and willing to take over they would still be limited by FFP on how much they can invest so cannot see any plusses there unless they were to ignore it completely

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here