Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Plane gone down in the French Alps?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
How do we prevent this in the future?

You put up a robust fight but probably best to withdraw now, we are going around in circles

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The crash?By not allowing one person to be in the cockpit alone.

I have a concern about how this would work with someone determined to bring down the plane. I'm sure there would be a way to incapacitate the 'minder' especially if it was a male v female situation - or it might be the minder himself who wanted to do it.

The whole 'locked v unlocked' question needs to be thoroughly risk assessed against the two types of threat. At the moment it's just a knee-jerk response to something that happened recently.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Evil is not a word of religion or spirituality. I can understand the uneducated people saying thist but its just ignorance though, bless them.

Oxford English Evil adjective
immoral and wicked:

This bloke was both immoral and wicked and therefore Evil

Think about the word and where it comes from and what the implications of that are.

Evil is a word of spirituality (quite obviously).

And like most of the lexicon of spirituality, these words are used to explain things when there seems to be no explanation.

On a side note, it also stops any more thought on the specific part of the subject, which promotes ignorance and stigma.

Before you think i'm excusing the monster, i'm not going to give you that cop out. His actions were consistently evil.

My assumptions are that he had a poor character mixed with high traits of sociopathy with some added 'depression'. What are your assumptions?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He was a selfish ****.
Whilst I realise that suicide is a selfish act on its own, to disregard the lives of a 150 others during your act, is a level of selfishness I cant even measure.

It REALLY grind my gears when people call Suicide a selfish act. How dare anyone of sound mind make such a statement and make this assumption. It is so flippant. No one of any sort of sound mind would decide they are better off Dead. No one. Also a few of our Comrades here have fallen to this disease, do not forget. The case in point with the Pilot is far more complex and it is hard to deny it is the very definition of an evil act so there is no mileage at all in trying to argue otherwise. No state of mind can excuse his actions

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Sorry, I think it IS a selfish act, to kill yourself, and take 150 unrelated, and innocent people, who have placed their lives in your hands with you

...as a single act, of course its a selfish act. You are considering your self, first and foremost.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
. No one of any sort of sound mind would decide they are better off Dead. No one.

I'd disagree with that. It completely depends on how you see the world and your view of life.

Say you have the simple belief that you are COMPLETELY unhappy as you are, you have nothing to live for and, actually, if you could end it now you would.....then surely that is making a decision in sound mind?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I'd disagree with that. It completely depends on how you see the world and your view of life.

Say you have the simple belief that you are COMPLETELY unhappy as you are, you have nothing to live for and, actually, if you could end it now you would.....then surely that is making a decision in sound mind?

A sound mind is a happy mind, surely?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I have a concern about how this would work with someone determined to bring down the plane. I'm sure there would be a way to incapacitate the 'minder' especially if it was a male v female situation - or it might be the minder himself who wanted to do it.

The whole 'locked v unlocked' question needs to be thoroughly risk assessed against the two types of threat. At the moment it's just a knee-jerk response to something that happened recently.
Having two at the controls isn't fool proof, but it's an improvement on what we currently have and can be implemented straight away whilst something better is concocted.

Thankfully these incidents are very rare, and it's probably as much to do with easing public concern as safety.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You can't pick the most notorious cases to prove a point which at this stage isn't provable, or compare one moment of madness (if that's what it was) with a sustained campaign of evilness executed over many years.

This is a notorious incident. It wasn’t on the spur of the moment, it was a long running fantasy that he intended to carry out. He was cold, cruel and calculating, and was sane enough to fool the system for many years. Anyone who knows right from wrong is responsible for their own actions, and he was clearly aware of what he was doing.

It partly depends if you believe in free will. If you think too deeply and fundamentally about the chemical workings of the brain, free will is a difficult concept.

I know what you are saying, but will there come a time when all murderers are classified as having a mental illness. Where does the personality end and the illness begin?

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This is a notorious incident. It wasn’t on the spur of the moment, it was a long running fantasy that he intended to carry out. He was cold, cruel and calculating, and was sane enough to fool the system for many years. Anyone who knows right from wrong is responsible for their own actions, and he was clearly aware of what he was doing.
?

thanks for presenting these FACTS that you have investigated. Did you know him personally as I would have thought that only that sort of close contact would lead you to such a conclusion?

Or like the rest of us are you drawing your own conclusion from PRESS reports?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
thanks for presenting these FACTS that you have investigated. Did you know him personally as I would have thought that only that sort of close contact would lead you to such a conclusion?

Or like the rest of us are you drawing your own conclusion from PRESS reports?

The FACT is he killed 149 people and until it is proved otherwise it was an evil act committed by an evil person. To pin this on depression or suicide is too simplistic a way to excuse it, and does a disservice to those who have suffered from it.

Don't forget Oscar Pistorius was surprisingly found to be perfectly sane after a long observational study.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I know what you are saying, but will there come a time when all murderers are classified as having a mental illness. Where does the personality end and the illness begin?

What a stupid post. He may well be evil and the medical evidence may support that but, unless you are a close friend of his then you have absolutely no idea whether this was or wasn't a fantasy. I suspect that you are basing this entirely on the word of an ex girlfriend.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The FACT is he killed 149 people and until it is proved otherwise it was an evil act committed by an evil person. To pin this on depression or suicide is too simplistic a way to excuse it, and does a disservice to those who have suffered from it.

Don't forget Oscar Pistorius was surprisingly found to be perfectly sane after a long observational study.

You really don't get it do you.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
What a stupid post. He may well be evil and the medical evidence may support that but, unless you are a close friend of his then you have absolutely no idea whether this was or wasn't a fantasy. I suspect that you are basing this entirely on the word of an ex girlfriend.

Don't start Drew, it was only recently you were arguing in favour of Ched Evans based on his word and rubbished the victim.

If I am stupid it's a mental health condition and therefore I am not really stupid?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here