Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia will be at the match tomorrow

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
For me the biggest mistake of the Bloom reign has been not backing Oscar and then letting him walk. Big big shame we didn't get to see what he could do with a bit of support and a few less injuries.

This.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad we've got Hughton in charge but I can't help but wonder what could have been. Definitely feels like the one that got away.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has TB stuck the knife into Hyypia or Burke since their departures? Did he stick the knife into Ken Brown or John Stephenson?

I know, wonder why he chose to do it to Oscar

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
That doesn't make any sense, Oscar told TB that he was leaving after the January transfer window, but Toko joined us in May. Spanish Dave was brought in instead of Grabban and was probably on Burkes list. Oscar may have said we just need someone and agreed to Spanish Dave.

Did he? Not heard that one before.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What about the story that Oscar's phone was off on Transfer Deadline day? Or the story that he was presented with 2/3 Premier League experienced players that we could have signed, but he was not interested? More spin?

Oscar had never dealt in transfers. Why would he suddenly want to get heavily involved here? I think the issue with him and certainly with Gus was budget more than anything else.

All this came out AFTER he quit, even though TB tried to get him to stay. As I say I tend to think that this this is club spin, Oscar has been the perfect gentleman and said nothing derogatory about the club or the hierarchy. The club are very clever with the spin they put on things and the way the information gets leaked ( when they choose).

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
All this came out AFTER he quit, even though TB tried to get him to stay. As I say I tend to think that this this is club spin, Oscar has been the perfect gentleman and said nothing derogatory about the club or the hierarchy. The club are very clever with the spin they put on things and the way the information gets leaked ( when they choose).

Well, you may be right. I am still not sure why he would want to be heavily involved in transfers when he had not done it before and the club was set up at the time like a continental club. The impression I got was that he gave the club a list, we could not afford them or they were not available and he was not interested after that.

Has there been any gossip about David Burke? I have heard people on the Roar intimating that he was the spanner in the works, but have we actually heard any juicy stories about it? It's Friday - gossip day!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I know, wonder why he chose to do it to Oscar

I don't think he deliberately stuck the knife in, it sounded more like he answered questions in his interview really badly. Bloom may have been using Burkes excuses.

Either way this was a time when Blooms left hand man Burke was here and he was in the middle of much of the problems. I would not be surprised that Burke said to Bloom that there was a communication problem, when it was Burke that had that problem all along.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think he deliberately stuck the knife in, it sounded more like he answered questions in his interview really badly. Bloom may have been using Burkes excuses.

Either way this was a time when Blooms left hand man Burke was here and he was in the middle of much of the problems. I would not be surprised that Burke said to Bloom that there was a communication problem, when it was Burke that had that problem all along.

Good point

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Be nice if they introduced him to the crowd. People have learned to appreciate him more retrospectively since the Sami debacle. Should get a fair old round of applause.

I think you're right, but not retrospectively from me at least, firmly appreciated him when we had him!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Well, you may be right. I am still not sure why he would want to be heavily involved in transfers when he had not done it before and the club was set up at the time like a continental club. The impression I got was that he gave the club a list, we could not afford them or they were not available and he was not interested after that.

Has there been any gossip about David Burke? I have heard people on the Roar intimating that he was the spanner in the works, but have we actually heard any juicy stories about it? It's Friday - gossip day!

I may be wrong but I thought the Roar were telling anyone who would listen, about a year or so ago, that they should listen to the Burke interview to hear and understand what fantastic hands the Albion was in on the recruiting front?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I like Oscar, he seems a nice fella and I was upset that he did not stay. But saying that we are not the only club that he has walked out on for various reasons. Without really knowing what went on I think it is unfair to blame the club for his departure, he has form.

Since he has left he has been nothing but complementary about the club and I wish him well in future. I would love to see him manage Barcelona, but if he did I can't see it being for a long time, it's just the way he rolls.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I may be wrong but I thought the Roar were telling anyone who would listen, about a year or so ago, that they should listen to the Burke interview to hear and understand what fantastic hands the Albion was in on the recruiting front?

They were. He came across extremely well, albeit a tad boring. Which is why I want to hear gossip and stories! Adam Virgo, for example, was saying that he thought that David Burke was interfering in everything and that it was a much happier club now that he had left.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
They were. He came across extremely well, albeit a tad boring. Which is why I want to hear gossip and stories! Adam Virgo, for example, was saying that he thought that David Burke was interfering in everything and that it was a much happier club now that he had left.

Didn't Aspinall say that Burke didn't bother to check out any of his recommendations on players? I love listening to Warren on Seagull Player, I have no idea how good he is at spotting a player but if he is half as good as he is at analysing what is happening on the pitch, I suggest it may be worth at least having a look at the player.

The only other bit of gossip I heard was that Burke broke into song whilst negotiating with Grabban and his agent because he was tuning up his voice for a funeral. Grabban and agent apparently got up at left at that stage. No idea if it's true mind.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What about the story that Oscar's phone was off on Transfer Deadline day? Or the story that he was presented with 2/3 Premier League experienced players that we could have signed, but he was not interested? More spin?

Oscar had never dealt in transfers. Why would he suddenly want to get heavily involved here? I think the issue with him and certainly with Gus was budget more than anything else.

Now in who's interest would that spin have been ? Surely someone wasn't using the old trick of shifting blame to an already departed employee ?

Anyhow, it seems the club and Oscar are now mates again after the Christmas restructuring.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Didn't Aspinall say that Burke didn't bother to check out any of his recommendations on players? I love listening to Warren on Seagull Player, I have no idea how good he is at spotting a player but if he is half as good as he is at analysing what is happening on the pitch, I suggest it may be worth at least having a look at the player.

Someone else said he did, yes - sadly I was not listening at the time! Agreed re WA

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

There was a post on here that said he started singing a hymn during a negotiation, and he said he was practicing for a funeral the next day. It may have been in the Grabban deal from what I remember of the post.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
There was a post on here that said he started singing a hymn during a negotiation, and he said he was practicing for a funeral the next day. It may have been in the Grabban deal from what I remember of the post.

:O. There we go - that's the sort of story I want to hear!! I have to say I find that one unlikely though, but it is a good one.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
:O. There we go - that's the sort of story I want to hear!! I have to say I find that one unlikely though, but it is a good one.

Until you consider that Grabban was a done deal at one stage.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here