Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon best [signs on a half-year loan]

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Two years ago we were signing an Argentian goalscoring striker from Spain.
Today we taking a journeyman striker on loan from Blackburn.

How underwhelming!

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Potentially very good signing. Happy with that. But then I don't have delusions of grandeur like a fair few of our fans currently.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Two years ago we were signing an Argentian goalscoring striker from Spain.
Today we taking a journeyman striker on loan from Blackburn.

How underwhelming!

That was an Argentinian striker who was out of favour at a Spanish second division side. Doesn't sound too promising if put like that. maybe leon best will click with the Seagulls.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
In 2010 Burke was employed to do a similar job for Southampton, after leaving Man City and before that Fulham. He must have been just as bad at Southampton, as they are now only 3rd in the EPL. The rest of the Southampton team of two years ago was sold to Liverpool and they are only 8th. He couldn't have had anything to do with that, could he?

Now find out the reasons why he lasted just 18 months in all roles beforehand.

The players Southampton recruited during his tenure as Scouting & Recruitment Manager were pretty average to say the least and none have gone on to be a massive success

Danny Butterfield (free) - Now at Exeter
Jonathan Forte (Undisc) - now at Oldham
Richard Chaplow (Undisc) - Now at Millwall
Jack Stephens (£150k from Plymouth) - On loan to Swindon for two seasons
Jack Cork - One success but has figured little this year
Steve De Ridder - Contract cancelled by mutual consent
Daniel Fox - Now at Forest and played only 12 games this season
Jas Hooivield - Initial success but now at Norwich on loan

So ok, lets look at his record at Man City where he was responsible for talent identification and opposition scouting reports...Nothing here to suggest that he should have been put in charge of what he was at the Albion.

Then onto Fulham where he was the Talent Identification & Recruitment maneger for their Scouting Department, but under Les Reed who is a very respected scout & coach.

So basically, all of those amazing players you've alluded to in your post, are nothing to do with Burke, who, lets face it, given his record should never have been appointed as Head of Football Operations

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
He's always struck me as a player who needs to feel loved. I've got faith in the manager to take care of this. Whilst his goalscoring stats have a lot to be desired at most clubs, his performances did improve significantly when he played under Hughton at Newcastle. Hopefully he can continue that trait. Not overjoyed, but I'm not also going to suggest this is a horrendous signing without giving the lad a chance in the stripes.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
In 2010 Burke was employed to do a similar job for Southampton, after leaving Man City and before that Fulham. He must have been just as bad at Southampton, as they are now only 3rd in the EPL. The rest of the Southampton team of two years ago was sold to Liverpool and they are only 8th. He couldn't have had anything to do with that, could he?

He did not have the same position at Southampton as here, that role was and still is held by Les Reed who employed Burke at both Fulham and Southampton, now if we had employed Reed, then that would have been a capture on our part. Reed was the organ grinder Burke was the monkey, so to speak.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
6 goals in 3 years including 0 in 15 for Derby.

Maybe his hold-up play is worth two goals a game?
Not holding my breath.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well all I can hope for is that this is the managers choice and he is confident in getting goals out of him, having said that I hope he does well, but meh, meh, meh............ His goal scoring record does not imply he is the one to shoot us to safety....

Actually the more I think about it, nah not impressed at all., but I am not in charge............ so prove me wrong Leon......

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The plan is now showing itself
No real investment for this season....just avoid relegation, that's Hughton's task, and start shopping in the summer

Personally I would rather keep O'Grady than have a disinterested Best

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here