Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes goal

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Those people must be eating the most high quality humble pie at the moment.
:(

What?, because of one decent goal,.... if you remember he scored a cracker against Bournemouth for us, but it didn't break his normal routine of missing the cows arse with a banjo on a regular basis.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Barnes got slated wherever he played.

But only at the Amex. Never heard anyone slate him at Withdean. And nobody had any reason to. He was a quality buy, was always improving, is still improving and with the chances going begging this season if there was any forward player with any hunger and/or positional sense at all, he'd have been on a dozen goals for the Albion already and we'd be nudging mid-table. Oh well, expect that thruppence transfer fee swelling the FFP coffers will make an even greater difference :rolleyes:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hang on, hang on. Some people are re-writing history here. I was one of the people that did not like Barnes for a while but NOTHING to do with ability. Many people took a dislike to his 2 red cards in the space of a few games, his utter stupidity at trying to kick a ref, diving frequently and moaning at the ref all the time.

Like me, many of the posters who had an annoyance with Barnes had no issues with his ability at all. Many called for him to be sold on following the ridiculous red card at Bolton which followed a red a few games earlier at Shef Weds.

It was a ridiculous red card at Bolton.........................as he did nothing to deserve it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ah yes, good point, well made El Pres, forgot about that figure of fun. Whatever happened to him anyway?

He got an infraction for something, (not from me) went ballistic, spat his dummy out and I think spontaneously combusted. He was convinced he knew more about football than Poyet (currently managing in the PL) and Barnes (currently scoring goals in the PL) despite having no qualifications and running a newsagent in Worthing.

I miss him, we became chums in the 'Does God exist' thread a few years ago, which seemed to polarise opinions, which is unusual for NSC.

Feb 14, 2010
Poyet created the best midfield in the Championship by a country mile. Both Barnes and CMS missed too many chances that the midfield created. Murray up front would have got us promoted. As for what he is or is not doing at Burnley, well, that is now but it doesnt alter that Barnes got his name "Barn door Barnes" for a reason. He wasnt a bad player but he did miss a hatful of chances that Murray would have stuck away. No point re writing history, that's how it was.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Poyet created the best midfield in the Championship by a country mile. Both Barnes and CMS missed too many chances that the midfield created. Murray up front would have got us promoted. As for what he is or is not doing at Burnley, well, that is now but it doesnt alter that Barnes got his name "Barn door Barnes" for a reason. He wasnt a bad player but he did miss a hatful of chances that Murray would have stuck away. No point re writing history, that's how it was.

Hold on WCP, you don't actually go to any matches, by your own admission, so how can this be a 'fact'? (unless of course your surname is Voyant, and you have a sister called Claire).

Feb 14, 2010
Hold on WCP, you don't actually go to any matches, by your own admission, so how can this be a 'fact'? (unless of course your surname is Voyant, and you have a sister called Claire).

I go a few times a year and keep my hand in. But yes you have a point, I didnt see every midfield in the division. However can you name a better one than Poyet assembled? I thought it was pretty much agreed by everyone that Poyet assembled a cracking midfield and well, I kept seeing on the telly sitter after sitter missed by our forwards (not just Barnes)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I go a few times a year and keep my hand in. But yes you have a point, I didnt see every midfield in the division. However can you name a better one than Poyet assembled? I thought it was pretty much agreed by everyone that Poyet assembled a cracking midfield and well, I kept seeing on the telly sitter after sitter missed by our forwards (not just Barnes)

Barnes was part of that midfield though.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
What?, because of one decent goal,.... if you remember he scored a cracker against Bournemouth for us, but it didn't break his normal routine of missing the cows arse with a banjo on a regular basis.

Total nonsense.
He played a large % of his games here out of position with a vocal minority in the crowd slagging him off. He was only playing for Paulton Rovers before FFS- was always going to need longer to develop than your average academy trained youngster. He constantly showed guts and fight, always put in a shift AND scored goals.
What does he have to do for people to realise he is a decent player?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Total nonsense.
He played a large % of his games here out of position with a vocal minority in the crowd slagging him off. He was only playing for Paulton Rovers before FFS- was always going to need longer to develop than your average academy trained youngster. He constantly showed guts and fight, always put in a shift AND scored goals.

What nonsense, just because he is playing in the Premier League, scoring goals, won the Burnley 'Goal of the season' award last season, scored 20 goals in his first season at the Albion despite not being up front all the time, doesn't mean that he's any good, just that Poyet was an idiot for signing him in the first place, Garcia was an idiot for continuing to play him last season, Dyche was an idiot signing him for Burnley to help get them promoted, and play him ahead of other strikers this season, Burnley fans are idiots for voting his goal best of last season, and the goal he scored yesterday was a tap in but the camera angle made it look better. Anyone with any football knowledge can see that.

Feb 14, 2010
What nonsense, just because he is playing in the Premier League, scoring goals, won the Burnley 'Goal of the season' award last season, scored 20 goals in his first season at the Albion despite not being up front all the time, doesn't mean that he's any good, just that Poyet was an idiot for signing him in the first place, Garcia was an idiot for continuing to play him last season, Dyche was an idiot signing him for Burnley to help get them promoted, and play him ahead of other strikers this season, Burnley fans are idiots for voting his goal best of last season, and the goal he scored yesterday was a tap in but the camera angle made it look better. Anyone with any football knowledge can see that.

He (and CMS) did miss a hatful of sitters at the Albion and those misses cost promotion. Whether you think its unfair or not, that's what people remember. We were inmy view, one player short of the premier league. That player was Murray. Poyet's / the Albions greatest mistake in recent year (well since this summer!).

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
He (and CMS) did miss a hatful of sitters at the Albion and those misses cost promotion. Whether you think its unfair or not, that's what people remember. We were inmy view, one player short of the premier league. That player was Murray. Poyet's / the Albions greatest mistake in recent year (well since this summer!).

I honestly don't think it was about his misses. Barnes was just an easy scapegoat. Nobody hated CMS and he cost 3million quid!!

In fact, it makes a rather interesting comparison, highlighted how fickle and strange football supporters are.
CMS cost a shit load and has rather unimpressed. Barnes did as much, if not more, in his Albion career, yet cost 22 oranges and a packet of hobnobs. Was much younger, and was playing in the Wiltshire Beagle Sunday League just months before.

YET, it's Barnes the fans jump on.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Total nonsense.
He came from Plymouth.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
As I remember it (and I could be wrong) Barnes got slated when he played as a left sided midfielder or as a lone striker - neither of which was he very good at. When he was played as part of a front two (in league 1 with Murray) I think most people thought he had potential and I don't remember him being a hate target then.

There are a few mm=embers of this board who seem to target players and give them abuse because they think that they are acting in the clubs best interest because they will be replaced with better players and this improves our chances of promotion (how is that working out by the way?)

As an aside - Aspinal was saying before the game that we could have had Harry Kane. I assume this was the loan rumors from last season and the season before - or did we actually have a chance to sign him permanently at some point?

Undoubtedly Harry Kane would have been the subject of abuse had he joined us on loan.

It would probably have been based on his goal scoring record prior to this season (see below) as some of our fans seem desperate to use these to judge a player joining us and don't wait for him to play and to make their own minds up based on what he (or any other player) does on the pitch (see the number of players arriving here who were dismissed before playing for us over recent years)

Harry Kanes record (excluding Spurs)
year loan club Appearances Goals
2011 → Leyton Orient (loan) 18 (5)
2012 → Millwall (loan) 22 (7)
2012–2013 → Norwich City (loan) 3 (0)
2013 → Leicester City (loan) 13 (2)
total = 56 games, 14 goals or 1 in 4

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
& the obsession continues...
I think you will find that the obsession is on the part of those who keep posting threads each time he manages to have a dump without hitting the seat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here