Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another goalkeeper? [Ali Al-Habsi]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nice way to dent Caspers confidence. Club is a shambles at the moment.

Casper will probably be playing tomorrow night as Walton will have to play for the U21s on Monday night. Josh White got a second yellow & red last Monday.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Who would you play on Tuesday night against Wigan (assuming Stockdale is injured and Al-Habsi can't play under the terms of the deal with Wigan themselves)?

Can Walton play two nights in a row? See my previous post about Josh White.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Casper will probably be playing tomorrow night as Walton will have to play for the U21s on Monday night. Josh White got a second yellow & red last Monday.

Surely a goalkeeper could play two games in successive days?, certainly if one of them was just an under 21 game. Keep Ankergren well away from the first team.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Surely a goalkeeper could play two games in successive days?, certainly if one of them was just an under 21 game. Keep Ankergren well away from the first team.

Ankergren kept 14 clean sheets in our first season back in this division. He's ok for a stand in keeper.

I would play Hughes & Dunk together tomorrow night as I thought they worked well together on Wednesday. That way if Dunk got booked, we've got Greer to fall back on next week.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005

Do you seriously think they will make 1st team selection decisions based on who is avaialble from the dev squad? They will just promote from the youth ranks to dev squad if Walton is deemed next in line for 1st team

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I'm relieved that we have acted quickly to bring in Al Habsi.

It's all very well suggesting that we don't need him - 'just go out and get a last minute loan keeper when the need arises'. I can just imagine the meltdown on here if the Club knew that Stockdale is already out for several weeks, then Walton or Ankergren get injured leaving us with no experienced first team keeper in reserve. We then bring in someone at very short notice who is a complete stranger to our defence and then has a complete mare. Hardly a sensible way forward, especially in our current predicament. Al Habsi can now train with the back four etc and learn our playing formations(!).

Still doesn't stop us keeping an active eye on the loan market for other players, including strikers. But that's another issue. Unless Al Habsi is going to play as centre forward....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can just imagine the meltdown on here if the Club knew that Stockdale is already out for several weeks, then Walton or Ankergren get injured leaving us with no experienced first team keeper in reserve. We then bring in someone at very short notice who is a complete stranger to our defence and then has a complete mare. Hardly a sensible way forward, especially in our current predicament. Al Habsi can now train with the back four etc and learn our playing formations(!).

Will you be in meltdown tomorrow if Al-Habsi starts as "a complete stranger to our defence"?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

I would say it will be the other way round , Ankers in the DS on Monday with Walton on the bench tomorrow.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'd like to think so. I thought Walton had a good game on Wednesday night.

The DS game for Ankers also comes in as handy preparation for the following day when he is named as the sub goalie.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Will you be in meltdown tomorrow if Al-Habsi starts as "a complete stranger to our defence"?

I wouldn't be in 'meltdown' - but would be surprised if Al Habsi goes straight into the starting line up. It isn't necessary for him to start. The loan merely restores Sami's normal choice of three fit keepers.

Walton has been on the bench in several recent games, so ought to get the nod. I wouldn't rule out Ankergren getting a game either - purely because Sami likes to rotate the team.

I suppose cynics might see Al Habsi as a cheap scapegoat if we get a battering tomorrow - and conveniently save the blushes of our own keepers. However I would more readily point the finger at the manager for selecting him in the first place.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Al-Habsi is a good keeper but I would probably have let Walton or even Casper deputise due to familiarity and in Walton's case, the opportunity to develop.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't really see any objections to this myself. A match day combination of Walton & Al Habsi for the next month or so will do me fine.

Those moaning about it seem to think a striker and a goalkeeper are mutually exclusive. I really don't think it's a case of "we've picked up a cheap goalkeeper for a month so we can't sign a striker". Why on earth would any club (yes, even ours) operate like that?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Can't really see any objections to this myself. A match day combination of Walton & Al Habsi for the next month or so will do me fine.

Those moaning about it seem to think a striker and a goalkeeper are mutually exclusive. I really don't think it's a case of "we've picked up a cheap goalkeeper for a month so we can't sign a striker". Why on earth would any club (yes, even ours) operate like that?

If I had to pick two posters who i KNEW would be with me in welcoming the Omani Flair supremo to the Albion, it was you two :thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I wouldn't be in 'meltdown' - but would be surprised if Al Habsi goes straight into the starting line up. It isn't necessary for him to start. The loan merely restores Sami's normal choice of three fit keepers.

Walton has been on the bench in several recent games, so ought to get the nod. I wouldn't rule out Ankergren getting a game either - purely because Sami likes to rotate the team.

I suppose cynics might see Al Habsi as a cheap scapegoat if we get a battering tomorrow - and conveniently save the blushes of our own keepers. However I would more readily point the finger at the manager for selecting him in the first place.

If he signs today on a 28 day loan and doesn't play tomorrow he'll only be available for 2 games because he cannot play against his own team on Tuesday and the upcoming international break.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here