Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton has become an object lesson in why it is a disaster to vote Green.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The i360 was agreed years before the Greens were in power.
Planning permission yes but funding was entirely under their tenure ( with the help of two purchased Tory votes ).

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Of course there are. I cannot be bothered to do this again, I'm sure someone else can be bothered but it isn't going to be me. Fact is, I'm as left wing as they come, but I can also recognise that Conservative administrations have achieved some wonderful things. Maybe you should try and be that grown up too.

typical cyclist

:jester:

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
good post, I agreed with every bit of what you said apart from the UKIP comparison.
you can usually tell a green from their weird & whacky dress sense, and sure brighton has seen a change and not for the better may I add.
as said top post and a good read.

Apart from the fact you seem to think the OP wrote this article I'd be interested why you 'agree with every bit' of whats written?

Perhaps you agree when the article, referring to the i360, says that there are no buildings over three storeys in Brighton when every building along the seafront in each direction for a mile or more is a minimum 5 storeys?!

Perhaps you agree with the author calling our city a town?!

Perhaps you agree about the 'cheap' housing he refers to when everyone else is complaining how expensive it is to buy or rent locally?

Or maybe you agree that the Greens 'failed to prevent' the bin mens strike that was a direct result of years (decades) of successive Tory/ Labour administrations not resolving the pay differentials that were at the heart of the issue?

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Apart from the fact you seem to think the OP wrote this article I'd be interested why you 'agree with every bit' of whats written?

Perhaps you agree when the article, referring to the i360, says that there are no buildings over three storeys in Brighton when every building along the seafront in each direction for a mile or more is a minimum 5 storeys?!

Perhaps you agree with the author calling our city a town?!

Perhaps you agree about the 'cheap' housing he refers to when everyone else is complaining how expensive it is to buy or rent locally?

Or maybe you agree that the Greens 'failed to prevent' the bin mens strike that was a direct result of years (decades) of successive Tory/ Labour administrations not resolving the pay differentials that were at the heart of the issue?

I agree because its spot on of what's become of my beloved old town. the real change came about when brighton was awarded city status which by the way is only a posh term for town.
call me old fashioned but I no longer recognise the place, its full of freaks weirdo's and nutters. what more can I say.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I agree because its spot on of what's become of my beloved old town. the real change came about when brighton was awarded city status which by the way is only a posh term for town.
call me old fashioned but I no longer recognise the place, its full of freaks weirdo's and nutters. what more can I say.

Don't want to be picky but Brighton is a town. People get confused.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

But that's nothing to do with the Greens which is the supposed point of the article?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

You're old fashioned.

You revel in your desire for mediocrity if you wish, but I'd say it's become a great city; the more that freaks, wierdos and nutters who upset you, the better.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I have to say i am less than chuffed about the i3blinking60. i think the money could have been better invested. However the redevelopment on the west part of the seafront is looking really nice, the new shops in the arches are great, it looks inviting and i am very impressed. If the investment helps that area and those local shop keepers then that's great; fully supportive...but did it take a doughnut on a knitting needle to do it tho? I am unsure.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th

LOL - fair enough! But it's been like that for years and is hardly a result of the Greens leading the council for the last few years is it?!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As for the wind farm, didn't I hear on the news this morning that wind provided more power to the national grid yesterday than nuclear?

(Mind you, it was quite blowy.)

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
As for the wind farm, didn't I hear on the news this morning that wind provided more power to the national grid yesterday than nuclear?

(Mind you, it was quite blowy.)

Indeed you did but not only was it rather blowy it was because some of the reactors are currently shut off. Bring on the Sussex windfarm at sea I say.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
But that's nothing to do with the Greens which is the supposed point of the article?

oh it has mate its got just about everything to do with the greens, the good people of brighton had moved out only to make way for a completely different breed of person. now do I have to elaborate on the type of character im referring to or do i simply tell you they all vote green.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Planning permission yes but funding was entirely under their tenure ( with the help of two purchased Tory votes ).

Utter twaddle. Read the minutes of the meeting.

135.23 Councillor G. Theobald stated that the Conservative Group were fully supportive of the proposed project and the financing arrangements and wished to thank everyone concerned in bringing the matter to the committee for consideration. He and his colleagues had attended a number of briefings and been able to question officers and the developer’s representatives on all aspects of the project and had concluded that it was worth supporting and seeing the area benefit. He hoped that all Members would support the project and be able to see it come to fruition in due course.

135.26 Councillor Peltzer Dunn stated that having given careful consideration to the proposal and taken the opportunity to question officers and the representatives, he believed it offered an opportunity to revitalise the area. The seafront was the shop window for the city and needed to be improved and maintained and he hoped residents would see the benefit of a decision to agree to the project in the years ahead.

135.28 Councillor A. Norman stated that it was an area which required investment to improve and she believed it was in the best interests of the city to support the project.

The vote was 7-3 in favour.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
oh it has mate its got just about everything to do with the greens, the good people of brighton had moved out only to make way for a completely different breed of person. now do I have to elaborate on the type of character im referring to or do i simply tell you they all vote green.

I'm as anti-Green Party as the next man but go on then, it should pass the last hour at work with something entertaining ....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Well I've lived here since 1980 and all I can say it that it's partially the freaks weirdo's and nutters that always made the town a bit of special place. It never used to be like anywhere else in the UK, seemed more like an offshoot of Berkeley. I too no longer recognise the town, now that the braying pushy Londoners with the sense of entitlement have moved in and transformed the town into Little Islington. Fiveways Village my arse!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have to say i am less than chuffed about the i3blinking60. i think the money could have been better invested. However the redevelopment on the west part of the seafront is looking really nice, the new shops in the arches are great, it looks inviting and i am very impressed. If the investment helps that area and those local shop keepers then that's great; fully supportive...but did it take a doughnut on a knitting needle to do it tho? I am unsure.

It's not 'invested' as such, as in it's not BHCC money.

It's in the form of a loan from the Public Works Loan Board, a ring-fenced fund controlled by central government. It can only be released for capital projects like this. The council's stake in this project is 39%, and they are the last body involved in the project who are exposed to risk (i.e. the private investors are at risk first).

Loans for something like the re-building (alright, starting again) of the King Alfred or the Brighton Centre, should the council ever wish to undertake such a project, would come from this.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
It's not 'invested' as such, as in it's not BHCC money.

It's in the form of a loan from the Public Works Loan Board, a ring-fenced fund controlled by central government. It can only be released for capital projects like this. The council's stake in this project is 39%, and they are the last body involved in the project who are exposed to risk (i.e. the private investors are at risk first).

Loans for something like the re-building (alright, starting again) of the King Alfred or the Brighton Centre, should the council ever wish to undertake such a project, would come from this.

Thanks for that. So (and excuse my ignorance) the redevelopment of the front has come from the council (i.e BHCC money) but the i360 is from a central purse and the development of the King Alfred (at last..ever..in my lifetime?) would also come from this central purse?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Thanks for that. So (and excuse my ignorance) the redevelopment of the front has come from the council (i.e BHCC money) but the i360 is from a central purse and the development of the King Alfred (at last..ever..in my lifetime?) would also come from this central purse?

The project for the i360 comes mostly from private investment, but the shortfall of the capital funding is being made up from the loan taken out by BHCC. From a political viewpoint, all of the parties are strongly in favour of the project, but Labour have not backed the loan.

I'm not sure which redevelopment of the seafront you're talking about. There has been so much over the years, and more is still needed. The seafront under city control stretches for around 7.5 miles - the majority of which is beach.

Regarding the King Alfred or Brighton Centre or whatever. I wasn't specifically talking about any given project, but if - for the sake of argument - the council wished to invest in a new sports centre, they could borrow money from the Loan Board to part-fund it. They have to jump through hoops, but I would suspect, however, that the terms of it could mean that the council goes in with a private partner in order that it isn't exposed to all of the risk. But I'm not sure on that.

Seeing as the loan must be reapid, it can only go on capital projects which will only make money back. It can't, therefore, go on things like schools or roads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here