Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many days a year, on average, do you take off work sck?

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
American companies often offer their staff a measly 10 days holiday (vacation) each year, but also add a further 10 days sick leave each year - which is invariably taken as holiday.

For example: "I'm taking a sick day tomorrow as the washing machine repair guy is coming". Most odd.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Never had a day off in 12 years of teaching. Never missed a day of school either. What a loser eh.
Yeah but you get 3 months off a year anyway unlike the rest of us :)

I do take 1 or 2 a year, but im never ill and haven't been for a good 10 years+

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
In the last 4 years it was easier to count how many days I worked

I was a bit like that, it must be what a life time on the railway does to you. It got to the point where some of my work mates reckoned I was due a long service award for sick leave.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I started my first 'proper' job 7 years ago, I went in the first day and was sick the next two. I struggled in on the fourth and found out if I hadn't gone on they would have fired me as they thought I was taking the mick (I was genuinely horrendous at both ends) since then I have only had about 2 days off in about 7 years. I have just been really lucky/unlucky to always get ill on a weekend

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I've not had a day off sick in over 8 years. I'm currently entering week 3 with this ****ing blocked nose/sore throat cold but take a sick day, never.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I am called into sickness reviews all too regularly. I had one a few weeks ago for going over the limit of 15 days off in 12 months - in fact it was about 21 days in total. I was handed a works standard letter saying this is our policy and we may have to end up sending you either to the occupational health or be go through a tribunal of some sort. I aired my concerns over the standardness of these letters and their threateningness, and did so again when the meeting was held 10 days later. Now, I was sent to occupational health place 2 years ago, after receiving the exact same letter. Their response was something along the lines of "Meade's Ball will always be susceptible to illness and will not rid himself of them, whenever they're caught, at the same speed as others." I of course told my manager this, and wondered what purpose being sent again would have. Gladly, they've agreed not to send me anywhere to mull over why I'm off sick more than others and how I could improve myself in some way to be sickened less. Also pleasingly, they told me that I've been off work less and less each year since the road accident, so give me another 5 or 6 years and I will likely be within their limits.
I'm thinking of reworking my hours here a bit - do a few less in total, but one more a day I'm here - and try to have every Wednesday off to fight the fatigue and puniness overall. It seems the answer.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I has to have 4 weeks off post op but worked from home after a week.

I think I last had a day off sick around 5 years ago

We have a system at work called the Bradford Factor which is a calculation on sickess within certain time and if you breach it you are monitored for 12 weeks to get you to stop being sick

You missed the joys of being put on MFA

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The only time off my Dad had in over fifty years work was for injury, a slipped disc, a knee cartlidge, and a motorbike accident at sixteen that nearly killed him. Not one day off for illness.

On a similar note, I broke three bones in my neck in Cyprus when I was in the R.N. I had two days off , and then due to circumstances I had to go back to work, even tho I couldn't move my head.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
You missed the joys of being put on MFA

Lost count of the times I got put on MFA and sent to the BUPA doctor, every time was the same the doctor just laughed, called my manager an idiot and wrote it off. They never did get it beyond stage one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here