Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hyypia has got to go

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
I'm viewing this season as a kind of pre-season for next season. With a new manager and a lot of new players, we were never going to be pushing for promotion.

So this season they can settle in and then go for it next season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm viewing this season as a kind of pre-season for next season. With a new manager and a lot of new players, we were never going to be pushing for promotion.

So this season they can settle in and then go for it next season.

100% my thoughts

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Bed wetter or licker, work in progress, five year plan (which ended when Poyet went), giving people time. Everyone take a step back and ask is our squad better and are we in a better position than in our previous seasons at the Amex and surely it must be that we are not as good as we were which marks a step backwards. Please don't blame Hyppia for our failings, the responsibility lies further up the management scale than that. The optimism has gone and we are being asked to watch average performances whilst paying top rates. How am I supposed to entice clients to come along for the £96 meals in the 1901 Club when we can't win and the mood is so downbeat. The board need to concentrate on the football, because without they won't be making the sales to bring the revenue to the club, I am feeling that the club is missing a huge opportunity. Shakespeare said 'there is a tide in the affairs of men, which taken at the flood can lead to great fortune', I feel that we have missed that tide.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If I say what I think I'll regret it later but it's worth remembering John Vinicombe's immortal comment in the Evening Argus all those years ago. To paraphrase... "If one thing is for sure, the Albion won't be in the frame this season." He wrote that just before Christmas in 1978.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We have two points less than we did at this stage last year.

We have two points less than we got against these seven teams last year.

We have lost some very good players and have had to cut our cloth because of FFP.

In the last two games we have used eight players who were not here last year and two who weren't in contention for a good part of it due to injury.

We also have a new manager and coaching team. Only Jones has experience of the Championship.

The players are new to the style Hyppia wants to play.

There are comments on Brentford's, Ipswich's and Charlton's message boards celebrating the points they have taken from a 'very good technical', or 'very decent Brighton side'.

We haven't been outclassed in any game we have played since the Southampton friendly.

At present, we are not the finished article and results, in a very tough league, have reflected this. However, Stockdale made his first decent save last night, we looked the better side for the first hour, and we won't be the last team done by McCarthy's grinding tactics this year. We probably won't pull up any trees this year, but planning to sack a manager less than ten games into a three year contract is the kind of thing we would be ridiculing if it was being suggested by any other supporters. Hyppia currently has a better win ratio at Brighton than Garcia & Poyet ended with. Over time we will see whether our players and coaches can start to put in the sort of determined and dogged performance that Ipswich did last night and then we will see whether Hyppia can be a success in the Championship. At present we look a bit like Nigel Clough's Derby, good technically, pretty in places, but often ineffectual. However, as McLaren showed last year, that may be a good place to start.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Totally agree with this. Sick and tired of the bleating from impatient 'fans' who seem to spend very little time actually supporting the team but jet looking for an excuse to snipe from the sidelines. This knee-jerk response to any loss is utterly tedious.

I went last night, and up until the first goal we played pretty and it was an enjoyable contest to watch until that point. It is immensely frustrating that we undid all the previous good work with some shocking defending, but it is quite clear we have yet to find the right balance between defence and attack yet. I'd like to think we can sort it out soon but I'm not holding my breath. Until then I shall continue to back what I consider to be a hardworking and entertaining but sadly flawed team until they do.

I agree. Hyypia may well end up failing and then need to be sacked and no doubt the idiots on this thread will gloat about how right they were. But the fact is you shouldn't appoint a manager, lose 11 players and bring in a similar number to replace them and then sack the manager after 7 league games.

Last night wasn't a bad game. I would say we had the better chances at 0-0 and if we'd gone in front, Ipswich couldn't have complained. We lost as we didn't take our chances and Ipswich did but for this game to cause someone to suggest the manager should be sacked is laughable.

We all laugh at Leeds and other clubs when they sack their manager in the first month or two but then people are calling for Hyypia to be sacked in September.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think Stockdale is a liability at the moment and I don't buy the "no chance" comments every time a goal has gone in. Great keepers save those occasionally, TK did two seasons ago and occasionally last season, Stockdale, apart from being a jolly good team player, has done nothing to make me feel confident in him.

I totally accept he may have the makings of a very good keeper but we aren't seeing it yet and I am also starting to wonder about his concentration ( just like I did about TK last year btw)

So you didn't see his save last night. That was a fantastic save and he should have had "no chance" with it.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I don't care he has only been in charge for a few games but the bloke is clueless. Results so far have been appalling.

He is killing off my enthusiasm this season. I'm in that.... i don't care mode.

Look at our results so far? This has relegation written all over it.

As has been expressed elsewhere, probably one of the worst posts on this forum ever. If you don't come again, to be honest it won't be much of a loss to the club.

I assume you weren't at the game last night judging by the time you posted this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So you didn't see his save last night. That was a fantastic save and he should have had "no chance" with it.

I'm sorry one great save in 8 matches followed by a lack of concentration goal is not quite what I have in mind when thinking about a highly rated keeper who cost a million. I am quite happy for him to prove me wrong, in fact I am desperate for him to do so but he has been a disappointment...to me. I am not trying to convince anyone else. I look forward to the day that he is mom and keeps us in a game or helps us win it. Not been close so far imo.

I wish I could argue that he has been quite good so far and a bit unlucky but it's not how I see it.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm sorry one great save in 8 matches followed by a lack of concentration goal is not quite what I have in mind when thinking about a highly rated keeper who cost a million. I am quite happy for him to prove me wrong, in fact I am desperate for him to do so but he has been a disappointment...to me. I am not trying to convince anyone else. I look forward to the day that he is mom and keeps us in a game or helps us win it. Not been close so far imo.

I wish I could argue that he has been quite good so far and a bit unlucky but it's not how I see it.

But he did keep us level yesterday (as did their keeper for them). I'm not even sure he could do much about the second goal but I haven't seen it again.

I'm sure you'll argue otherwise but I don't think he's really had a chance with any of the goals, which isn't his fault. I think you, and others on here, are being extremely harsh on Stockdale but that's just my opinion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But he did keep us level yesterday (as did their keeper for them). I'm not even sure he could do much about the second goal but I haven't seen it again.

I'm sure you'll argue otherwise but I don't think he's really had a chance with any of the goals, which isn't his fault. I think you, and others on here, are being extremely harsh on Stockdale but that's just my opinion.

You are probably right. He has pissed me off and I am struggling to look at it rationally :smile:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I like these type of threads. It's reassuring to realise that actually the world is stacked full of eejets, with unrealistic and child like expectations. It makes me realise that actually i'm alright jack. Thanks algie and others, keep up the good work.
Looking forward to Saturday immensely, bring it on.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Be patient. We're not looking to be fired to the top of the prem. at the moment. We're building foundations, have spent little money on players and STILL we'll finish in the top half of the table this season, just like we did in the last two. You'll see.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
For me it would be foolish to give up hope just yet or to be an ousting mood. The man has just arrived, and with some tweaking I can see us being a reasonable side. The worry seems to me to be defensively. A life without Upson is a difficult one, as that man was a force of interminable quality and experience that we certainly seem not to have replaced. Ahead of that role of the titan, we do need a determined and regular midfield lot who have the perfect mix of control, moments of flair and sturdy resistance. Of course, our goalkeeping needs improving at the minute too - so to round it all up, we're screwed almost everywhere! I jest. Stockdale has not looked, from what I have seen, to be light on his feet. He seems heavy and a little immobile. The Koosh gave me far greater confidence as a keeper, in spite of his chaotic hoofery.
I pray our confidence remains or grows, and a trouncing of Orlandi's new folk gives us the chance to go on a victorious run. I don't believe that to be impossible.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Last season Oscar took us to our 2nd best season for over 31 years...We also started relatively slowly with a poor run of form up til at least mid October. Did NSC users keep the faith ? Many did but worth reminding ourselves for those clicking on this rather hysterical thread title then here's a few random quotes on here about Oscar but from October 2013..

we need to start getting some points on the board and fast. Otherwise we will be in a relegation scrap

very strange choice from the outset and was a hunch that things would be fine. As it is, things are far from fine.

Oscar took the payroll but he seems almost without any fight at all. The guy just seems to think everything is fine. He seems dour, without much of a clue and just a stop gap. Very disappointing.

Oscar was just drafted in without a short list of any other applicants. He doesn't know the English game, let alone the Championship.

unless [Bloom] takes action soon, this man could ruin all of the good work that has been done over the last couple of years.

he needs to get this current squad working well or he will find himself out of a job or in league 1

Look, oscar has to produce. I don't mean results, I mean good football.
So far he has managed a bit of Barry Lloyd type Hoofball.
Total shit.

I think this season is a write off,

Very harsh to judge him so soon, but I haven't seen much so far that has filled me with optimism.

Not good. Relegation form and doesn't look like changing soon

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I have complete faith in Sami, 100%.

I also think he is the most professional manager we have had recently, and if I were a player he is the manager I would most like to play under.

No nonsense, no b*llsh*t, no drama, no mixed messages or signals, no wondering what means, no more wondering when he will shut up (GP) or wondering when he will say something (OG).

I'm personally enjoying having a manager who is not a complicated person. It's something of a relief for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here