Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen murray?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Except the likelihood is we can't afford Murray

The club know that they are FFP safe for 2014/15 because they've got the Ulloa / Buckley sales in the accounts. They also know that the rules have just been relaxed so larger losses will be permitted under FFP rules in future seasons. There's also nothing stopping them selling players that aren't producing for the overall improvement of the squad.

I realise that CMS's contract is up at the end of the season but there's still a market for him right now - perhaps a team near the top of the Championship just wanting to bolster their squad for a promotion push, or a Prem team in the bottom 6 wanting another striking option.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The club know that they are FFP safe for 2014/15 because they've got the Ulloa / Buckley sales in the accounts. They also know that the rules have just been relaxed so larger losses will be permitted under FFP rules in future seasons. There's also nothing stopping them selling players that aren't producing for the overall improvement of the squad.

I realise that CMS's contract is up at the end of the season but there's still a market for him right now - perhaps a team near the top of the Championship just wanting to bolster their squad for a promotion push, or a Prem team in the bottom 6 wanting another striking option.

You're thinking in terms of transfer fees. His wages would be vastly different to our current players.

scooter1

How soon is now?

Sadly for CMS(and us) I think its highly unlikely that an upper Championship, or lower PL team will be coming in for him - he just isn't good enough. Most likely it'll be back to Peterborough for him in the summer for nowt.
Regardless of relaxed FFP rules coming into place, Murray would more than likely smash our wage cap, so that I feel will be the end of that.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
while we are at it bring Barnes back to play alongside him?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If we got Murray and sold CMS, we would still need another striker to replace CMS. You can't be competitive in this league with just two strikers because injuries happen.

If, hypothetically, we did get Murray we could use the three of them very effectively over the whole game. So I don't see the scenario of one in one out being a good move.

But Murray won't be cheap, that's because he's good. And CMS is out of contract next year so can leave for nothing. And if there's any chance of getting Elliott Bennett I hope we use some budget to get him. Could CMS be part of a deal for Murray with Palace?

Our top priority is not getting relegated, and we need our strikers to score goals. We can consider promotion in the summer when we're safe because right now we're in the danger zone and the likes of Wigan, Bolton, Fulham and Birmingham with their new managers could "bounce" their way out of trouble.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
But Murray won't be cheap, that's because he's good. And CMS is out of contract next year so can leave for nothing. And if there's any chance of getting Elliott Bennett I hope we use some budget to get him. Could CMS be part of a deal for Murray with Palace?

Our top priority is not getting relegated, and we need our strikers to score goals. We can consider promotion in the summer when we're safe because right now we're in the danger zone and the likes of Wigan, Bolton, Fulham and Birmingham with their new managers could "bounce" their way out of trouble.

tbh I can't think of any reason why Palace would want CMS.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Come on he won't be going to you . I thought you'd moved since you last had him ?

We did/have when we got Ulloa... now we need Murray again ! ;-)

I thought you had moved on since Zaha....

I have no problems with players moving on and then returning if they are better than what we have regardless of who they went to play for

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
We did/have when we got Ulloa... now we need Murray again ! ;-)

I thought you had moved on since Zaha....

I have no problems with players moving on and then returning if they are better than what we have regardless of who they went to play for
Just stating what a lot of you were saying every time Glenn's name is mentioned . Wilf left us and we wished him well now he's back and we back him as you say I haven't got any problem with him coming back . Back to Glenn , he won't be coming to you ( call it tit for tat ) but if he leaves I will be truly sorry .

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
What Brighton need is a Bert Murray! It's amazing what a wise old stalwart can do. Cite also Suddaby, Winstanley, the vastly underrated Clarke, Bromley etc

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I dont think that he will be coming back to us, much as I would like him to, but I can accept that provided he doesnt sign permanently for Reading

Reading will happily cough up £20k a week for his wages like they did with Wayne Bridge.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think we should move on.

Like many on here, I really enjoyed Murray's last season at the Withdean and we certainly would not have got promoted without him. There were some games where he was truly outstanding (Charlton springs to mind) and his all round play was exceptional.

BUT

There is a risk of rose-tinted spectacles. He has had one good season for Palace since and he didn't exactly pull up any trees before our promotion season. Palace also let him out on loan and signed Kevin Doyle as his replacement which may tell you something as well.

Let's be careful what we wish for.....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But he's scored 5 in 11 for a Reading, there is no risk to this signing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here