Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward deal NOT done (yet?)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think Wolves are inconveniencing us as long as is practically possible because we are their Championship rivals. I am hoping he'll be in by 1st Sept. They'll take our offer when it suits them, I doubt we'll increase it until just before the transfer deadline so let's hope they decide to get him off their pay roll ASAP. This is guess work. Thanks.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I think Wolves are inconveniencing us as long as is practically possible because we are their Championship rivals. I am hoping he'll be in by 1st Sept. They'll take our offer when it suits them, I doubt we'll increase it until just before the transfer deadline so let's hope they decide to get him off their pay roll ASAP. This is guess work. Thanks.

Seems odd they want pay his weekly wage just to annoy us?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

Why would they do that? surely they want him off the payroll so it suits them to get as best possible deal

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I imagine his current weekly wage is going straight onto the fee they're holding out for. The first deadline is the Sheff Wed game, I can see his price dropping after that. These negotiations are obviously complicated, at some point they'll just sell him to us but I've seen players linked to clubs before when it takes all summer to get a deal.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
For me, this seems like a case of both clubs trying to get the best deal. With our (excellent) recent transfer record, I doubt we'll be budging at this stage of the transfer window.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
At what point do we seriously consider alternatives to Ward ???

He's a loan player. I'd be disappointed if we hadn't been considering alternatives since the day after Derby away.

We were rightly quick to declare which player contracts would not be renewed so you assume this would have been done in light of the squad as a whole and our requirements for 2014/15.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham

I'd assume those targets are already identified, so we won't need practically long to complete at least one deal. So I expect this to be a close run thing, because we won't move to an alternative until the priority target is a 100% no go. That's how I'd do things anyway.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Good point. Wolves have a strong hand until 1st Sept because they know he wants to come here and they know we want him. It's up to our buying team to convince them we have other options and are willing to move on them soon. All random speculation of course!

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Good point. Wolves have a strong hand until 1st Sept because they know he wants to come here and they know we want him. It's up to our buying team to convince them we have other options and are willing to move on them soon. All random speculation of course!

I wouldn't say being contracted to pay £13k a week to a player you don't want is a strong postion for them

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's a loan player. I'd be disappointed if we hadn't been considering alternatives since the day after Derby away.

We were rightly quick to declare which player contracts would not be renewed so you assume this would have been done in light of the squad as a whole and our requirements for 2014/15.
There speaks a man who had a dry night last night!! :lolol:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

Hardly! They have a player they don't want who is costing them 13k a week and because he only has a year left they can't hope for a decent fee either. The only party in this who has a strong hand is Mr S Ward.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Albion have have not officially contacted Wolves about the player so they are not playing any sort of game. Ward has been told it is up to him/his agent to find a club and agree terms and only then will they deal on a fee. We are not at that stage.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Awe have not officially contacted Wolves about the player so they are not playing any sort of game. Ward has been told it is up to him/his agent to find a club and agree terms and only then will they deal on a fee. We are not at that stage.

Some saying this, some saying terms all agreed but Wolves playing hardball on a fee.

If only we knew which was really true.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Wolves are going to want shot of him and will fold in the end. TB has obviously told him sit tight, keep trousering the big money and we'll sign you at 2359 on deadline day but you'll have to take a wage drop from then. Ward has obviously agreed to this as he likes it here so much and nobody else is going to offer him silly money. Win/Win for the Albion and Ward?

Maybe

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Albion have have not officially contacted Wolves about the player so they are not playing any sort of game. Ward has been told it is up to him/his agent to find a club and agree terms and only then will they deal on a fee. We are not at that stage.

You seem so certain but we know that isn't true. What gives?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That would be an unusual way of doing it. Clubs normally make and offer for a player, and once accepted, they agree terms with the player.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Retweeted by Andy Naylor
Tim Nash [MENTION=4470]Tim[/MENTION]Nash_star · 1h

#Wolves at Oxford: McCarey; Foley, Iorfa, Ebanks-Landell, Ward; Price, Davis; Henry, Clarke, Bancessi; McAlinden.

Retweeted by Andy Naylor
Tim Nash [MENTION=4470]Tim[/MENTION]Nash_star · 1h

Not sure we're regarding this as a first team comeback, but thoughts on Ward's return?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here