Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More than a million have used UK food banks in the past year

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I could be here all day quoting every single instance and I need to get the job centre to try and abuse the food bank system. So the highlighted will just have to do for now.

In that case I was talking about you, not everyone.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Look up Tressell Trust and read their website. Find out for yourself.

Had a peek and no where does it says who uses them. It just gives statistics on how many people use them. It doesn't say Cocaine uses have to drop their personal allowance per week to quality for food banks.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
In that case I was talking about you, not everyone.

You are a tw*t. And don't start bleating about me having lost the argument or resorted to abuse because I don't have an answer. You're (non) arguments have been shown to be prejudiced and pointless, I think your apparent retirement has left you bitter & twisted, for that I'm sad but ffs do you have any compassion? your own family, if they fell on hard times? Your (and I know I'm stretching it) friends?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You are a tw*t. And don't start bleating about me having lost the argument or resorted to abuse because I don't have an answer. You're (non) arguments have been shown to be prejudiced and pointless, I think your apparent retirement has left you bitter & twisted, for that I'm sad but ffs do you have any compassion? your own family, if they fell on hard times? Your (and I know I'm stretching it) friends?

I bet he claims his winter heating allowance despite obviously being easily able to afford to heat his home !

Oct 25, 2003
Does the church contribute to food banks? I assume they must do as almost every other week i see some clergy commenting on the matter.

depends on what you mean by 'the church'....the link i provided earlier is run by a church. Also several churches in Brighton & Hove provide free meals

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

I'll forgive the insult, but you are yet another one who has jumped to your own conclusions about what I said. But don't let that tiny error stop you in the middle of a good rant.

Oct 25, 2003
As someone working at the sharp end how would you feel about legislation requiring supermarkets and producers to offer 'waste' food, (damaged packaging, best before dates etc), to food banks before they were allowed to send it to landfill?

Would you be in favour of greater state support of such facilities and increasing the number of food banks?

supermarkets should definitely be doing this. It's absolute nonsense that people are going hungry whilst perfectly edible food is going to waste

however I'd imagine that if the state got their mitts on food banks they'd start being run very differently and completely money orientated...leave it to the charities, they're much better at this sort of thing

Oct 25, 2003
As an aside there is some cross over with the work the Frau used to do. She worked in mental health for many years and when clients moved from sheltered accom to their own place they used similar charities for home start up packs.

yep, the bulk of the referrals I do is from people who have gone from being homeless to having their own place. It's quite expensive to kit out a house with kitchen equipment, bedding and food so these places become vital

a huge chunk of the service users are people like the ones you and I have mentioned. It's people needing a bit of a stop gap so it's one less thing to worry about when they're finding their feet and getting their lives back on track. Can you imagine finally getting housed after a long period of homelessness, only to be in a house with no sheets on the bed and no food to eat?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Where is the relevance to fraud in food banks?

In that you're accusing people of abusing the food banks by claiming when they either don't need to or have things they can sell / stop buying. You claim the winter allowance when no doubt you neither need to nor have you sold items to cover your heating or stop buying other things to pay for it.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
In that you're accusing people of abusing the food banks by claiming when they either don't need to or have things they can sell / stop buying. You claim the winter allowance when no doubt you neither need to nor have you sold items to cover your heating or stop buying other things to pay for it.

Sorry to spoil a good story, but nobody 'claims' the heating allowance. It is given to every OAP, as it would cost more to means-test it than any resultant savings.

If OAPs want to buy food with it they can. This stops any additional drain on the food banks.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Sorry to spoil a good story, but nobody 'claims' the heating allowance. It is given to every OAP, as it would cost more to means-test it than any resultant savings.

If OAPs want to buy food with it they can. This stops any additional drain on the food banks.

There is the facility to refuse the winter fuel allowance. That said you can always replace that example with free bus passes - how many claim them when they could well afford to pay the fare ?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
There is the facility to refuse the winter fuel allowance. That said you can always replace that example with free bus passes - how many claim them when they could well afford to pay the fare ?

I think you're having to stray a little way from the subject matter of fraud in food banks in order to make a point. Two wrongs have never made a right.

Why don't you start a new thread attacking the privileges of OAPs? That sounds a good left wing topic for you.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I think you're having to stray a little way from the subject matter of fraud in food banks in order to make a point. Two wrongs have never made a right.

Why don't you start a new thread attacking the privileges of OAPs? That sounds a good left wing topic for you.

Fraud in food banks ? You've yet to provide that evidence. As for me being left wing :ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here