Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More than a million have used UK food banks in the past year

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Please keep up with the debate rather than jump in with your own prejudices. Firstly I have never vilified anyone with a true need for food banks, and secondly I do donate weekly.

Cue an insult.

The irony of you accusing someone else of prejudice is writ large in your ludicrous list of supposed top 10 priorities, as if it had any value. Worse, you posted it more than once.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Are you saying there is no abuse of the food bank system, ever.

Of course not but your posts imply it's wide spread - I very much doubt it is. It's demeaning enough to be grilled every other week for a poxy seventy odd quid a week without the extra embarrassment of having to beg for food. For 99.9% it's an action of last resort.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The irony of you accusing someone else of prejudice is writ large in your ludicrous list of supposed top 10 priorities, as if it had any value. Worse, you posted it more than once.

Nobody has yet had the courage to say where on that list parents should prioritise the supply of food to their children. I posted it twice as it was obvious that debaters on here were choosing to ignore it.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Of course not but your posts imply it's wide spread - I very much doubt it is. It's demeaning enough to be grilled every other week for a poxy seventy odd quid a week without the extra embarrassment of having to beg for food. For 99.9% it's an action of last resort.

So could you give me a reference to that figure of 99.9% and I might just be convinced.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Nobody has yet had the courage to say where on that list parents should prioritise the supply of food to their children. I posted it twice as it was obvious that debaters on here were choosing to ignore it.

Why don't you pick - electric, gas, water, food, clothes, rent and council tax. Which of these would you NOT pay ? Remember, despite the scare stories in the Sun, Mail and Express, benefits for most won't cover all of these costs ( all of which IMHO should be a right except council tax but if you don't pay that you go to prison ).

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
So could you give me a reference to that figure of 99.9% and I might just be convinced.

Or you could provide a reference to your claim that food banks are abused ?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Didn't say it was alright.... but its a VERY different number to the "over 1 million" being banded around!

The problem here is that you're perpetuating a number of 19,000 that has no basis in fact whatsoever, yet you mention "lies, damn lies and statistics". For what it's worth, only 1/3 are repeat 'beneficiaries' and that was a 'handful of visits'. So it suggests that the number is far closer to 1m that 19,000. If you factor all the other food banks not run by Trussell Trust, it's a truly sad picture.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am quite sure that people who have to resort to food banks have a lot less luxuries in life than those that don't need to use them.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Why don't you pick - electric, gas, water, food, clothes, rent and council tax. Which of these would you NOT pay ? Remember, despite the scare stories in the Sun, Mail and Express, benefits for most won't cover all of these costs ( all of which IMHO should be a right except council tax but if you don't pay that you go to prison ).

So come on then, what on my list is more important than food for the kids?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Nice to know the recipients of my taxes are so grateful for the free handouts they get. I suspect you feel entitled to more.

At a rough guess I've paid in excess of 3/4 of a million pounds in tax over my working life. The fact that when I'm down on my luck I only get £71.20 JSA and a poxy £2.53 rebate per week on council tax does smart somewhat. Not sure how I'm meant to even live a meager existence on that once the redundancy runs out. I challenge you to live off it ?

EDIT - probably closer to a million when you add in other taxes over income tax.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Nice to know the recipients of my taxes are so grateful for the free handouts they get. I suspect you feel entitled to more.

You're are a recipient of handouts from my tax, and believe it or not, you're also a beneficiary of taxes paid by Westdene Seagull, that's how it works. Just out of interest, what do you do?

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I'd like to see evidence on what type of people use these places. The documentary the other month on benefit scroungers gave a good indication that these food banks are there to be abused. On the program you saw people smoking, drinking, 50inch TV's, Sky TV. Sound to me that people are abusing these food banks, they are there people saying, we can cut back on food as we can get that for free up the raod and spend more on fags, booze, drugs and partying.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
At a rough guess I've paid in excess of 3/4 of a million pounds in tax over my working life. The fact that when I'm down on my luck I only get £71.20 JSA and a poxy £2.53 rebate per week on council tax does smart somewhat. Not sure how I'm meant to even live a meager existence on that once the redundancy runs out. I challenge you to live off it ?

If you paid in that much tax then you obviously earned a good wage over a long period. Did you not think to put some aside for a rainy day? It's always the fault of someone else when things go wrong.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And your point is?

The point is I think you are generalising this and in effect tarnishing all food bank users where as clearly there is a need for them.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
You're are a recipient of handouts from my tax, and believe it or not, you're also a beneficiary of taxes paid by Westdene Seagull, that's how it works. Just out of interest, what do you do?

Mind your own business.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I'd like to see evidence on what type of people use these places. The documentary the other month on benefit scroungers gave a good indication that these food banks are there to be abused. On the program you saw people smoking, drinking, 50inch TV's, Sky TV. Sound to me that people are abusing these food banks, they are there people saying, we can cut back on food as we can get that for free up the raod and spend more on fags, booze, drugs and partying.

As has been mentioned more than once, you CANNOT just then up and collect free food. For God's sake read about it.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
If you paid in that much tax then you obviously earned a good wage over a long period. Did you not think to put some aside for a rainy day? It's always the fault of someone else when things go wrong.

WOW - you really are an arrogant little man aren't you ? So from the little gleaned about me on here you somehow assume I've pissed my money up the wall without knowing really anything about me ? Well done, I guess you have to hope that your income doesn't disappear overnight ? After all I'd hope you aren't claiming anything from the state - pension, free bus pass, free prescriptions etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here