Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead (Threads Merged)

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Whilst I never expect non addicts to understand addiction, how could they, I often get seduced by the idea that they may have enough humility to accept that they (luckily for them) simply don't understand it. In this I am often disappointed.

As a recovering addict (who travels away with a clean and sober crew) I know that we were all shocked and saddened by PSH's death. It was particularly sad (and frightening to us) because he had enjoyed 23 years of recovery. His relapse began on prescribed pain medication, the same as my brother in law who after 11 years relapsed starting on Neurofen Plus. It lights up that part of our brains that is different from yours with tragic results. The fact that he relapsed after such a long period of being clean, a period in which he achieved so much professionally and personally and his desperate attempts to quit again make it even more tragic.

The frightening part is that I am well aware that this could be me or anyone of the guys I go to the Albion with. Although we all have good recoveries, still attend meetings regularly, work to help other addicts etc. etc. We have no idea what is around the corner, illness, pain, loss, a degree of distress that is unmanageable for us. When you press the ****it button you get a hangover and a couple of days in the dog house if we push it the consequences can be fatal.

The really sad part of the reports into his death for me (and maybe only an addict will get this) is that he had 70 wraps of heroin in his flat. This this the behaviour of a man who thinks he has no way out of his addiction. A man who has lost all hope. He can't stop however desperately he wants or needs to. It is a despair that I know and hope none of you ever have to experience. I could weep for him.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Whilst I never expect non addicts to understand addiction, how could they, I often get seduced by the idea that they may have enough humility to accept that they (luckily for them) simply don't understand it. In this I am often disappointed.

As a recovering addict (who travels away with a clean and sober crew) I know that we were all shocked and saddened by PSH's death. It was particularly sad (and frightening to us) because he had enjoyed 23 years of recovery. His relapse began on prescribed pain medication, the same as my brother in law who after 11 years relapsed starting on Neurofen Plus. It lights up that part of our brains that is different from yours with tragic results. The fact that he relapsed after such a long period of being clean, a period in which he achieved so much professionally and personally and his desperate attempts to quit again make it even more tragic.

The frightening part is that I am well aware that this could be me or anyone of the guys I go to the Albion with. Although we all have good recoveries, still attend meetings regularly, work to help other addicts etc. etc. We have no idea what is around the corner, illness, pain, loss, a degree of distress that is unmanageable for us. When you press the ****it button you get a hangover and a couple of days in the dog house if we push it the consequences can be fatal.

The really sad part of the reports into his death for me (and maybe only an addict will get this) is that he had 70 wraps of heroin in his flat. This this the behaviour of a man who thinks he has no way out of his addiction. A man who has lost all hope. He can't stop however desperately he wants or needs to. It is a despair that I know and hope none of you ever have to experience. I could weep for him.

Very true. I have never been into drugs thank God but I can see how someone who is can self destruct in a very short time. I am sure no one wants to be a " junky " why would they ? If they had a healthy brain they would not. The people that do this do not have a healthy brain, that is it really. Tragic and the lack of understanding from people who do not have the same demons is also very sad imo.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Four people have been arrested.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

What a great post.

I don't have any experience with addiction at all, either personally or with those that I know ('that I'm aware of' being the caveat) and I have to admit there are times that, rightly or wrongly, I see news stories similar to PSH's demise and think along the 'very sad but selfish' line.

I'm not going to pretend that I won't still sometimes believe that to be the case but, I will admit, you've made me look at certain elements of it (70 bags for example) in a way I hadn't considered before, so thank you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here