Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Two quick reviews:

The Twilight Sad - Nobody Want To Be Here..etc: starts off really well. First two tracks are really good. However, starts to drift to a gloomy samey-ness, an intangible cloud of distorted guitar noise, downbeat vocals and keyboards. The old curate's egg - excellent, in parts.

A Winged Victory For The Sullen - ATOMOS: the soundtrack to a dance performance choreographed by Wayne McGregor. Strings, piano, keyboards. Instrumentals. Varies from wistful, elegiac melancholy to Moon And The Melodies style uncertainty to Twin Peaks-style concealed threat and menace. Very pleasant background listening. As foreground listening, still enjoyable, but not captivating.

Think I may go on to Andy Stott next, plus will try Charlie XCX to see if it scores highly on the pop-ometer or is merely shiny tat.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just listened to the Temples album and I'm glad to say I'm hooked. I'm a complete sucker for retro-psychedelic rock and there's a fair few bands doing this sound: Amorphous Androgynous, Phosphorescent, Allah-Las... and this is as good as any I've heard for a long, long time. They have a direct channel to the likes of 13th Floor Elevators, I really think they are that good.

Saying that though, they do have a 'sound' and it does get a bit samey towards the end, tracks 10 and 11 are interchangeable and psychedelia by numbers, they could cut those 2 out and still have a fantastic album. But the album starts magnificently - as grand an opening to an album as you'll get. I always thought the Charlatans should have had 'Only One I Know' as track 1 on Some Friendly because it's so in your face and sets the tone for the rest of the album. Structures by Temples does precisely that, 'Shelter Song' is a wonderful start.

Now this is where I have a big disagreement with Mellotron. I'm only going by their respective albums as I've seen neither Royal Blood nor Temples live but Royal Blood's entire album is one giant feedback distortion loop to me. It just screams 'RAAAAAR' throughout and I now can't listen to the album. I've listened 3 times straight through with the Temples and it moves up and down beautifully. Tracks 1 and 2 set the scene but then track 3 'The Golden Throne' could be from one of those cult soundtrack albums to Italian Vampire films of the seventies, it's very cinematic and quite gothic sounding. Keep In The Dark is just pure 60s with acoustic guitar and plenty of high hat. The likes of Amen Corner would be proud of that track, it's extremely pop-friendly. I'm guessing that if their live act is a wall of sound then they don't play the last track from the album. It's an authentic touch with a big nod to how a lot of rock albums from the 60s used to end - with a short mock-baroque tune.

I don't know if it will be my number one but it's definitely one of the finest albums I've heard this year.

Are you familiar with Ty Segall, his numerous bands and his numerous chums in bands from California? If you like retro-psych it's a scene worth checking out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cheers HT, he's on my list of musicians to check out after numerous recommendations on here.

Ty Segall has numerous projects himself but part of the same scene are Thee Oh Sees, Sic Alps, White Fence, Mikal Cronin and I'm sure Spring Hall Convert can name some more. I have purchases from all these acts and none disappoint.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ty Segall has numerous projects himself but part of the same scene are Thee Oh Sees, Sic Alps, White Fence, Mikal Cronin and I'm sure Spring Hall Convert can name some more. I have purchases from all these acts and none disappoint.

Lots of good stuff on In The Red and Burger Records if you like this sound.

The Ty Segall/ White Fence album they did together a couple of years back is superb.
His early stuff with Epsilons is fun
Traditional Fools and Fuzz are other Ty Segall vehicles worth checking out.

A couple of other other non-Ty Segall or Bay Area bands afilliated with the scene worth checking out

The Intelligence (Seattle)

Total Control (Melbourne)

On the subject of Total Control, they've really led me down the path of some outstanding Antipodean music recently. I don't know if it is their relative isolation and lack of hype but there are some great bands coming through from Australia and especially New Zealand.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Who's heard the Richard Dawson album yet?

http://www.weirdworldrecordco.com/2...-world-announces-new-album-nothing-important/

I read his interview with Wire and picked his new album up on a whim, the title track is breathtaking

"The visceral power of his voice against the lurching modality of his guitar lines conjures false memories of Tim Buckley and Richard Youngs duetting with Sir Richard Bishop and Zoot Horn Rollo."

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
will try Charlie XCX to see if it scores highly on the pop-ometer or is merely shiny tat.

Goodness me. Made the fatal mistake of thinking that, if Pitchfork think she's a serious artist, she's probably worth checking out. Either I'm really, really old or this is kids' disco music. I'm probably the wrong sex as well - in fact, as a middle-aged male accountant, the very idea that I could be the target demographic is risible. My mistake. Just thought there could be the odd pearl in there, a la Haim, Sky Ferreira, Carly Rae Jepsen, etc. :blush:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Now this is where I have a big disagreement with Mellotron. I'm only going by their respective albums as I've seen neither Royal Blood nor Temples live but Royal Blood's entire album is one giant feedback distortion loop to me. It just screams 'RAAAAAR' throughout and I now can't listen to the album.

You're not having a disagreement with me - I like Temples' album. I was solely referring to both bands live. RB have a FAR wider range of dynamics, light and shade etc live than Temples did. RB demanded that people pay attention, if they'd stayed at 11 (arf arf) all set then people would've gotten bored. When Temples came on a lot of people just started chatting amongst themselves, going to the bar etc. I don't mean that as a dig, just how it was. I like Temples but there was no dynamism live whatsoever, the entire set was at 7.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
FACT have compiled their albums of the decade so far (we are 6 weeks away from the half way point!) FACT lists tend to veer toward the lesser known stuff so there's normally some stuff you haven't heard to get stuck into.

http://www.factmag.com/2014/11/03/the-100-best-albums-of-the-decade-so-far/92/

Here's my top 10 (this was unbelievably tough - long list of about 60-70)

1. EMA - Past Life Martyred Saints
2. Emeralds - Does It Look Like Im Here
3. Actress - Spalzsh
4. Julia Holter - Loud City Song
5. Swans - To Be Kind
6. My Bloody Valentine -mbv
7. Women - Public Strain
8. Machinedrum - Room(s)
9. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
10. Peaking Lights - 936

Discuss.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
FACT have compiled their albums of the decade so far (we are 6 weeks away from the half way point!) FACT lists tend to veer toward the lesser known stuff so there's normally some stuff you haven't heard to get stuck into.

3. Actress - Spalzsh
5. Swans - To Be Kind
7. Women - Public Strain
8. Machinedrum - Room(s)
10. Peaking Lights - 936

Discuss.

PJ Harvey album definitely is up there. It's about as complete as a piece of work/art as you can get with some truly wonderful song-writing.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Been listening to that Total Control album all week, lo and behold here we are talking about it. SpOoOoKy. To be honest the only reason I'd heard of them is because Rough Trade had it as their album of the month when it came out...

I'm far too 'busy' to read through this whole thread, but has anyone had a good listen to Cat Stevens, sorry Yusuf's, new album? I listened to one of the tracks and Im sure he was singing in Arabic ???

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

3. Actress - Spalzsh
5. Swans - To Be Kind
7. Women - Public Strain
8. Machinedrum - Room(s)
10. Peaking Lights - 936

Discuss.

I have listened to about 150 albums this year and have heard of only one of those albums.

:shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surprised no one has mentioned the Mercury winner yet? Any one heard Dead by Young Fathers? Anyone got a view?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
FYI this is my top 10 for the year in reverse order.

10. Shellac - Dude Incredible
9. Perfect Pussy - Say Yes to Love
8. Todd Terje - It's Album Time

7. Caribou - Our Love
6. Ought - More Than any Other Day
5. Aphex Twin - Spyro
4. Mirel Wagner - When the Cellar Children See the Light of Day
3. Sun Kil Moon - Benji
2. Swans - To Be Kind
1. Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire for No Witness

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here