Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm more the curious observer at this one, Ethereal are the band I really want to see. I do have some reservations about Marduk but I am looking forward to seeing them live for the first time.

They've haven't released a krautrock album yet then? I saw them in '99 and they were unbelievable fierce. It was around the time of PDM when they were about as one dimensional as you could get. Fun for 20-30 minutes but got pretty boring pretty quick. I'll try and give Ethereal a listen.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Weird one for me this. For whatever reason I couldn't face/do it & feel cold about the whole thing. What's that about?

I can kind of understand that. I am not a fan of bands playing albums in their entirety but there seems to be more of it about. I was hoping to see The Manics play The Holy Bible as I would be interested in hearing some of the tracks live. The Wedding Present have been touring albums for the past five or so years. Can't beat a good old fashioned set list though.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I can kind of understand that. I am not a fan of bands playing albums in their entirety but there seems to be more of it about. I was hoping to see The Manics play The Holy Bible as I would be interested in hearing some of the tracks live. The Wedding Present have been touring albums for the past five or so years. Can't beat a good old fashioned set list though.

Maybe that's what it is - don't think I have ever seen a band play an album gig...having said that I didn't hesitate with BSP at the Roundhouse. Go figure.

I will now try to choose which single album I would get seriously excited about seeing played live now...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Maybe that's what it is - don't think I have ever seen a band play an album gig...having said that I didn't hesitate with BSP at the Roundhouse. Go figure.

I will now try to choose which single album I would get seriously excited about seeing played live now...

Yep. The Decline would probably have been that album.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This chap sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Fantastic writing as well. Someone should give him some paid work.

http://www.welovebrighton.com/featu...tures/best-live-music-in-brighton-march-2015/

Here's what March has in store for me;

Wed 04-Mar Ariel Pink Old Market
Wed 11-Mar Vison Fortune/ Soft Walls Bleach
Thurs 12-Mar Dr John and The Nite Trippers Dome
Fri 13-Mar Bad For Lazarus Bleach
Sat 14-Mar Faux Discx Labelmates Shacklewell Arms
Sun 15-Mar Lower Slaughter/ Sealings Hope
Monday 16-Mar Bayy, Abbatoir Blues, Our Girl Bleach
Tuesday 17-Mar Is Tropical The Joker
Fri 20-Mar Sleater-Kinney La Cigale, Paris
Sat 21-Mar The Ex La Peche, Paris
Sat 28 Mar Bad Vibes Fest (Faust, Martin Rev,) Shapes, Hackney

I won't really do 7 gigs in 7 days, something will get in the way.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This chap sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Fantastic writing as well. Someone should give him some paid work.

http://www.welovebrighton.com/featu...tures/best-live-music-in-brighton-march-2015/

Here's what March has in store for me;

Wed 04-Mar Ariel Pink Old Market
Wed 11-Mar Vison Fortune/ Soft Walls Bleach
Thurs 12-Mar Dr John and The Nite Trippers Dome
Fri 13-Mar Bad For Lazarus Bleach
Sat 14-Mar Faux Discx Labelmates Shacklewell Arms
Sun 15-Mar Lower Slaughter/ Sealings Hope
Monday 16-Mar Bayy, Abbatoir Blues, Our Girl Bleach
Tuesday 17-Mar Is Tropical The Joker
Fri 20-Mar Sleater-Kinney La Cigale, Paris
Sat 21-Mar The Ex La Peche, Paris
Sat 28 Mar Bad Vibes Fest (Faust, Martin Rev,) Shapes, Hackney

I won't really do 7 gigs in 7 days, something will get in the way.

I've got FKA Twigs, Ariel Pink and Caribou lined up in 6 days starting Friday. I have also just bought tickets for the Berlin Festival at Arena Park (this is a fesitval which encompasses the site where White Trash Fast Food, Club Der Visionaere, Badershift and Arena Club are all located. Not a great live line up but the DJ roster is strong and I will hopefully finally get to see Seth Troxler who has alluded me many times. MELT! line up is looking good and I will get some tickets for this in the next day or two as well.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not a great live line up but the DJ roster is strong and I will hopefully finally get to see Seth Troxler who has alluded me many times. MELT! line up is looking good and I will get some tickets for this in the next day or two as well.

This track is doing it for me at the moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUn5Zy2mnAo

I saw him do his thing at Bestival a few years ago. Much fun was had.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
And I may well go to that Spectres gig. Plenty of people who know what they're talking about have told me to. I still haven't listened to them but Sonic Youth and My Bloody Valentine keep being mentioned which is red rag to this particular bull.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Couldn't make it along to Ariel Pink last night - gutted as one of my albums of the year - anyone go?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Couldn't make it along to Ariel Pink last night - gutted as one of my albums of the year - anyone go?

I went and loved it but like you I think pom pom is a masterpiece. I last saw him in 2010 and it felt like a rock band playing at being Ariel Pink, last night he had a 6 piece band (drums, bass, 3 keys, 12 string guitar, 6 (!) voices. It felt like an almost fully realised version of what goes on in his head.

A slightly slow start (Kinski Assasin & Plastic Raincoats both of which I personally find a bit throw away) but some of the songs were unbelievable - Not Enough Violence, Goth Bomb, Black Ballerina and the closing Picture Me Gone stood out.

But **** me he makes it hard work. It's like he can't handle how much of a genius he is and has to spoil it by acting like a complete cock. Yes Ariel, we're pretty sure you are "only joking" but it doesn't stop you from being a tiresome dickhead at times.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is anyone doing the hedonist double on Saturday? Underworld at The Dome, followed by 2Many DJ's at The Concorde?

That's a good night out that is. I've seen 2ManyDJs a number of times and they're always great fun.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I went and loved it but like you I think pom pom is a masterpiece. I last saw him in 2010 and it felt like a rock band playing at being Ariel Pink, last night he had a 6 piece band (drums, bass, 3 keys, 12 string guitar, 6 (!) voices. It felt like an almost fully realised version of what goes on in his head.

A slightly slow start (Kinski Assasin & Plastic Raincoats both of which I personally find a bit throw away) but some of the songs were unbelievable - Not Enough Violence, Goth Bomb, Black Ballerina and the closing Picture Me Gone stood out.

But **** me he makes it hard work. It's like he can't handle how much of a genius he is and has to spoil it by acting like a complete cock. Yes Ariel, we're pretty sure you are "only joking" but it doesn't stop you from being a tiresome dickhead at times.

Even more gutted now - cheers! Sounds like exactly what I wanted from the night and I would have been severly dissapointed if he hadn't fully lived down to his cockwomble reputation. Sigh - maybe next time. And what makes it worse is I found out I couldn't go so late that my tickets were 't moved on and I'm out of pocket to boot. TOM wont even consider giving me credit on another event...nice.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Even more gutted now - cheers! Sounds like exactly what I wanted from the night and I would have been severly dissapointed if he hadn't fully lived down to his cockwomble reputation. Sigh - maybe next time. And what makes it worse is I found out I couldn't go so late that my tickets were 't moved on and I'm out of pocket to boot. TOM wont even consider giving me credit on another event...nice.

I went over to the merch table when I got into the show and (to his credit) the main man was manning it. He was in typical form...

Punter: It's sad that <something inaudable> Pitchfork.

AP: Oh those guys, forget those guys, they should have me on the payroll, I made Pitchfork.

Pitchfork's laudatory review of pom pom here - http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19936-ariel-pink-pom-pom/

He also didn't play Round and Round (or indeed anything off Before Today) or Number In My Phone which I would argue are his two most well known songs. He's like the especially sadistic school bully who when you own your own with them cosises up to you only to absolutely savage you in public.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Ooof I've just seen the setlist from London the night before. It was pretty much the same songs (order different) with Sexual Atheltics to Put Your Number in My Phone cut out and no encore.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ariel-pink/2015/electric-ballroom-london-england-6bcb8646.html

That London gig looks amazing.

The more I reflect on this missed gig the more sulky I become. I feel sorry for anyone who has to have any dealings with me today. It's not right that life should interfere with gig going. Should be a law aganst it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here