Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pray elaborate re Mr Pink if you would be so kind. My sulk is beginning to lift and needs a re-boot. Ta.

He comes across as an eccentric scruffy slightly over weight odd ball with an Izzard swagger and whilst the songs are often peppered with all manner of nonsense his 6 piece band is actually reasonably tight and sound fantastic. His weird kiddy songs work much much better live and his more grown up songs sound quite sublime ; he is a very very talented pop song writer when he wants and some of his stuff was quite astonishing live. Having seen him in the flesh I understand it a lot better. Repeated listens of his recent album helped as well.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
They are excellent live. These are just a few warm up shows to play their new album before the big festival shows in the summer. I'm hoping to see them locally in Manchester Academy which is much smaller than the Dome.

Just realised it clashes with Sleater-Kinney for me anyway but know a few people who would be very keen so may help crash the Live Nation site tomorrow anyway. Good luck with Manchester tix.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
He comes across as an eccentric scruffy slightly over weight odd ball with an Izzard swagger and whilst the songs are often peppered with all manner of nonsense his 6 piece band is actually reasonably tight and sound fantastic. His weird kiddy songs work much much better live and his more grown up songs sound quite sublime ; he is a very very talented pop song writer when he wants and some of his stuff was quite astonishing live. Having seen him in the flesh I understand it a lot better. Repeated listens of his recent album helped as well.

Sulk fully resumed: good work.
Pom Pom is really rather special indeed. In fact the cans are going on right now from just thinking about it.
Gutted.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Just seen a rather good solo performance by Marcus Bonfanti. He's also recently taken over lead guitar in Ten Years After.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just seen a rather good solo performance by Marcus Bonfanti. He's also recently taken over lead guitar in Ten Years After.

And about time too by the sound of things.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Surprised no one's mentioned (the rescheduled):

Mobb Deep, Wed 6 May, play 'the infamous', Concorde 2.

Anyone going?

Last edited:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Underworld were decent at the Dome last weekend.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Looking forward to a change from my usual fare tonight.
5-4-3-2-1 Ah ha, it's The Manfreds at Haywards Heath tonight.
Not only Paul Jones, but I believe a guest appearance from Mike d'Abo too. Actually, really looking forward to it.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
3 ***** ruined the Vision Fortune gig last night by shouting through it. 3 rows from the front, cheers for that *****.

One the ***** pushed me out of the way to take a video for one of the songs, I did my best disapproval face but for some reason didn't speak up, which I normally would. It was sooooo obvious, I think I thought someone else might so it in a friendlier way.

I'm guessing Pretty Pink Fairy will be on here calling me a keyboard warrior and asking me why I didn't knock them out before long.

Can't wait for Dr John tonight. Unbelievably, there are still tickets. http://brightondome.org/event/6837/dr_john_and_the_nite_trippers/

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
My first trip to The Black Heart in Camden last night, very impressed with that as a venue. In addition to Winterfylleth and The King is Blind being superb, the downstairs pub is a craft beer delight. Not a piece of mass produced crap to be seen anywhere. Had a lovely Falmouth Pale Ale and a Beavertown Gamma Ray, all rather marvellous. The upstairs room was small but a good shape enabling everyone to see and the sound was excellent. I'll be going there again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went and loved it but like you I think pom pom is a masterpiece. I last saw him in 2010 and it felt like a rock band playing at being Ariel Pink, last night he had a 6 piece band (drums, bass, 3 keys, 12 string guitar, 6 (!) voices. It felt like an almost fully realised version of what goes on in his head.

A slightly slow start (Kinski Assasin & Plastic Raincoats both of which I personally find a bit throw away) but some of the songs were unbelievable - Not Enough Violence, Goth Bomb, Black Ballerina and the closing Picture Me Gone stood out.

But **** me he makes it hard work. It's like he can't handle how much of a genius he is and has to spoil it by acting like a complete cock. Yes Ariel, we're pretty sure you are "only joking" but it doesn't stop you from being a tiresome dickhead at times.

I have just read this as I avoided it for potential spoilers. Seems your view of the band is the same as mine but more eloquent. Some songs were just stunning last night. Out of interest what did he do to be a dickhead? Whilst odd, he seemed okay last night. Picture Me Gone was special and a great finisher. He also did a 4 song encore and the final track seemed to be extra as the band were preparing to leave but he rallied them for another tune.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because they are ****ing selfish *****.

But what do they talk about? I can't be small talk as there's no need. What thoughts enter your head that you feel the need to convey them to people?

It will be one strike and you're out at Tubthumper's Music Hall.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyway. Caribou tonight.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
3 ***** ruined the Vision Fortune gig last night by shouting through it. 3 rows from the front, cheers for that *****.

One the ***** pushed me out of the way to take a video for one of the songs, I did my best disapproval face but for some reason didn't speak up, which I normally would. It was sooooo obvious, I think I thought someone else might so it in a friendlier way.

I'm guessing Pretty Pink Fairy will be on here calling me a keyboard warrior and asking me why I didn't knock them out before long.

Can't wait for Dr John tonight. Unbelievably, there are still tickets. http://brightondome.org/event/6837/dr_john_and_the_nite_trippers/

I'm going to the Dr John gig tonight. Saw him a few years ago and really looking forward to catching him again.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
But what do they talk about? I can't be small talk as there's no need. What thoughts enter your head that you feel the need to convey them to people?

It will be one strike and you're out at Tubthumper's Music Hall.

Did you ever go the the Luminaire in London? They used to have signs up telling people to shut up when an act was on. Not enough small venues and promoters are hot on this but then times are tough and any customer is a good customer.

I am designing a sign as we speak for our next all dayer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here