Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone familiar with Doldrums? I accidentally saw him play a small gig around the back of The Globe at TGE a few years back whilst waiting for someone else... found him quite interesting and have followed him since. Anyway, he's touring in Europe in May/June so check him out if you can. He's playing The Hope on Tues May 26th.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone familiar with Doldrums? I accidentally saw him play a small gig around the back of The Globe at TGE a few years back whilst waiting for someone else... found him quite interesting and have followed him since. Anyway, he's touring in Europe in May/June so check him out if you can. He's playing The Hope on Tues May 26th.

Give his Lesser Evil album a whirl.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Did anyone else go to The Hope's reopening as The Hope and Ruin last night?

The capacity of the venue upstairs has been noticably increased, the bar has also been moved so it takes up less space. It feels about the same size as the room at the Free Butt was before it closed, the bar up there is perhaps a little small for when the venue is packed out, we'll see. There were a few sound gremlins but it got better as the night went on, I suspect the sound will be a strong feature of the venue as it was before.

Not totally sure about the downstairs, many were saying they liked it, I thought it veered very close to Nathan Barley territory, it was a bit like someone who rarely goes to East London's impression of what East London was like. Didn't sample the food but it looked pretty good - dogs or poutine with a fair range of sides.

There were 4 cask ales but the Hophead was £4.15 which I would imagine was at the cheaper end. They had 3 keg ales but disappointingly they were all Lanes brewery - good opportunity to get some different stuff in there which I would hope they take in the future.

Band wise Joey Four impressed me last night. Soft Walls (who I normally love) were good but seemed a little under rehearsed and some of the more subtle facets of their sound got lost , turning it a bit more bludgeon than I'm used to. Still very enjoyable. the night was running over an hour late so I scarpered before Shopping played.

All in all very promising though. I've felt in the past the upstairs was a very underutilised space.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just bought a ticket for Omnium Gatherum on Feb 20 at the Green Door Store. Brighton's metal scene is just great at the minute, loads of stuff to go to.

I'll be interested to see the revamped Hope and Ruin for myself at some point, I've had some good times at the old venue.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Meteors @ Hilton Metropole for Brighton Tattoo Convention Next Friday 20th

I went to see The Meteors in Glasgow last summer, I figured if I could survive that then I am invincible.

They were brilliant.

Are you coming down, I saw them back in the day in Glasgow and they came on the stage with mist flowing around and a kilted man playing the bagpipes....

Fenech strolls on to the stage power twangs abound and stops into the microphone he screams "Scotland belongs the English"

The place went mental, great stuff........

Are you coming down, I saw them back in the day in Glasgow and they came on the stage with mist flowing around and a kilted man playing the bagpipes....

Fenech strolls on to the stage power twangs abound and stops into the microphone he screams "Scotland belongs the English"

The place went mental, great stuff........

Sadly not, ( I'm working on an opera that's going into The Albert Hall ! so you couldn't get two more extremes ):rock:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
After a few days to take it in, Richard Dawson was definitely my gig of the year so far and factors somewhere in the higher reaches of best things I've ever seen.

Don't miss him next time!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Good set from The Sundowners at Sticky Mikes last night. Clearly influenced by the early days of fellow scousers, The Coral.

Up next in quick succession, War on Drugs and JAMC.

Oh, and tickets sorted for the main man at the Centre in Nov

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
All sorts of gigs in Brighton this Friday - I am going to see BRNS at the Hope, which I'm looking forward to. Then War on Drugs and JAMC, which it seems everyone is going to.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
All sorts of gigs in Brighton this Friday - I am going to see BRNS at the Hope, which I'm looking forward to. Then War on Drugs and JAMC, which it seems everyone is going to.

I'm busy!

Wed 18-Feb Nissenenmondai SMFB
Thurs 19-Feb Jungfrau Shakesspeare's Head
Fri 20-Feb BRNS The Hope
Mon 23-Feb Jesus and Mary Chain Brighton Dome
Tues 24-Feb Earth Komedia
Wed 25-Feb Pins The Hope

Nissenenmondai this evening is going to be amazing - still not sold out - preview with some tracks here....

http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/preview?p=99905&t=p

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just bought a ticket for Omnium Gatherum on Feb 20 at the Green Door Store. Brighton's metal scene is just great at the minute, loads of stuff to go to.

I'll be interested to see the revamped Hope and Ruin for myself at some point, I've had some good times at the old venue.

Slabdragger are playing the Hope next month if you do slow and heavy. Only £5.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
They were the first band I saw at Supersonic 2011, pretty good from what I remember.

I think you'd be able to have a decent guess at the genre by the name. Though if we were going to sub-genre level I would have gone with death metal rather than doom.

Just checked the gig and it clashes with Furyon at the Concorde, shame, they sound pretty good. Very sludgy indeed.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm busy!

Wed 18-Feb Nissenenmondai SMFB
Thurs 19-Feb Jungfrau Shakesspeare's Head
Fri 20-Feb BRNS The Hope
Mon 23-Feb Jesus and Mary Chain Brighton Dome
Tues 24-Feb Earth Komedia
Wed 25-Feb Pins The Hope

Nissenenmondai this evening is going to be amazing - still not sold out - preview with some tracks here....

http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/preview?p=99905&t=p

You are, aren't you? Thought I was...

So, Earth - I see Gruff Rhys has done something with them. Any good? Sold out? Recommended?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here