Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It gets Arts Council core funding. Love the De La Warr and the gig was tremendous but I wouldn't go to a midweek gig there again. Getting there was almost as much hassle as going to a London gig and we had to leave a tiny bit early to avoid getting back at a daft hour.

The Dome is far less fun but it wouldn't have been part-empty.

I reckon it's more hassle than London (depending on the location of the venue in London.) It's certainly more hassle than getting to Brixton for instance.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I reckon it's more hassle than London (depending on the location of the venue in London.) It's certainly more hassle than getting to Brixton for instance.

But, having lives in London for 3 years and going to lots of gigs there - it is SO much better seeing bands like this in smaller places. London crowds are almost always shit and full of scenesters (apologies for using the word but hopefully meaning I'd clear in this instance) who aren't really interested in the band. Agree about getting there though - I'm lucky in that at the moment I am off work for the holidays but agree it would be a massive drag using the train with work the next day.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Hookworms were outstanding on Friday night and Soft Walls looked at home on the bigger stage and louder soundsystem at The Haunt. Hookworms new material (and it was pretty much all new material) promises for an album to outdo Pearl Mystic.

Caught Iceage (new stuff was pretty awful), METZ (amazing as usual) and Oh Sees in the Jabberwocky cancellation stuff. Thee Oh Sees gig was marvellous. 200 capacity venue, no barrier, chilled security. The new 3-piece line-up is excellent.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Caught Iceage (new stuff was pretty awful), METZ (amazing as usual) and Oh Sees in the Jabberwocky cancellation stuff. Thee Oh Sees gig was marvellous. 200 capacity venue, no barrier, chilled security. The new 3-piece line-up is excellent.

I have always liked Iceage. How is the new stuff different to the first album? METZ are brilliant and think they have some new material being released soon to look forward to.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I have always liked Iceage. How is the new stuff different to the first album? METZ are brilliant and think they have some new material being released soon to look forward to.

So have I. Their new single sounds like they were aiming Birthday Party but got Babyshambles. It sounded a bit better live but far, far away from their usual incendiary live performance.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
So have I. Their new single sounds like they were aiming Birthday Party but got Babyshambles. It sounded a bit better live but far, far away from their usual incendiary live performance.

Really hope they stick to what they do best. Although I have never actually seen them live.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thee Oh Sees gig was marvellous. 200 capacity venue, no barrier, chilled security. The new 3-piece line-up is excellent.

Where did you see them? And which band members are missing?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When I said all of them here, I meant all of them bar John Dwyer.

:thumbsup: that would have been some line-up change. Coincidentally I bought Drop today. Not as frantic as Floating Coffin but great none the less.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Liking the FKA Twigs record. A lot sparser than I was expecting.

Prefer the record that Jessy Lanza did on Hyperdub last year if pushed though, the voice and songwriting just a bit better. Excuse to post this I guess

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It's the Edge Of The Sea festival this weekend for me at Concorde 2. As always it clashes with the football so only going to make the Saturday evening but will be there all of Sunday. Looking forward to Art Brut, The Cravats, Emma Pollock and of course The Weddoes. Rumour that The Popguns are also making an appearance but not confirmed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here