Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Don't You Support England?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
They lost me in the World Cup when we played Algeria. They visibly COULD. NOT. BE. F*CKED. and then that pond life Rooney had the temerity to complain about the fans when they were booed off.

I won't be interested until we have a squad that actually cares about playing for England in the same way that Beckham did. Our captain Gerrard is one of the worst for the old calling in sick for a pointless friendly and then making a miraculous recovery in time for his club game on Saturday. Any player who declares himself unfit for England but then goes on to turn out for their club 3 days later goes straight on to my shit list. That list is pretty long these days.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I always support England, although I've become accustomed to poor performances, so my expectations are lower than they once were. The only thing I have against England, is the FA, which is shitty boys club, and responsible for the decline of our national team. Steve 'how do you day' McClaren FFS.

Oct 25, 2003
i care about england friendlies the same amount as albion friendlies....ie not at all...they're FRIENDLIES ffs

as for england in general, i'm actually pretty patriotic but there's something about some of the england "stars" as men that makes it REALLY hard for me to muster up much enthusiasm...that may sound odd but i can't help how i feel. It's got nothing to do with how good they are or how "cool" i think it'll make me look. I support the cricket and rugby sides fully, as well as getting behind our lads/lasses in the olympics but I really struggle to give my support to men like john terry, ashley cole and wayne rooney.

At the moment I want them to do well mainly for roy...he seems like a top bloke and i really think that, given time, he'll really help the national team in the long term. So i want them to do well for him really.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I support England and always will but it does seem like a chore at the moment. The FA, Premier League and football in general continues to encourage our malaise and my apathy and sense of duty will continue until such time as things change and when people with the power and the ability to change things start to give a shit then so shall I. Until then i will continue to believe, continue to cheer, and continue my support no matter how hard it gets!

Oct 25, 2003
the worst thing about tournaments isn't (yet another) abject performance from the three lions, it's the utter dickhead part time football fans who don't watch a single game in between tournaments and then suddenly become (very vocal) self proclaimed experts

"oooh, he should have passed it there"

"I COULD HAVE SCORED THAT"

"he should've shot, i'm telling you"

"why didn't he just score"

that kind of thing....usually with an england shirt (conveniently bought during the 'big shop' with the wife at asda) tucked into shit jeans...drinking a pint of fosters...perhaps even with ****ing face paint

euro 2008 was absolute BLISS as these utter mongoloids stayed wherever they live in years ending in an odd number

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I chose to support Brighton but I got lumbered with England by birth. I do support them over any other national team but I can't be arsed to watch them unless I have nothing better to do.

When Albion do badly,however shit we might be, I am always disappointed, I don't really care how England do, it's just the way I am. I am unable to force myself to care :shrug:

Bizarrely though, I have real passion for our rugby union side.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As an aside, did I see Wayne Rooney mumbling God Save The Queen before kick off the other day? I have NEVER seen him do that before, maybe Hodgson has made it a condition of being picked?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Everyone loves an underdog... Even though we are a bit like Poyet, think we're bigger and better than we actually are.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Always support England, they are my team.

And it's not so much they are frustratingly poor, but the level to which the media and especially fans over hype them and the experience that annoys me.

I lost a bit of interest after Sven was sacked. Not because of the team really, we weren't world beaters but we'd qualify for the later stages of tournaments and had a few results along the way (Germany, Argentina), I thought it was all pretty enjoyable. It was people screaming we should be reaching the semi finals MINIMUM, that kind of crap which put me off. Not the team.

Another thing I don't like about following England, and we've seen it in this thread, is people who tell you what supporting England means and how you should do it. The Anthem is a classic one. I don't sing it and don't expect anyone to sing it to PROVE they are proud to play for England.

And friendlies are just dull as. Unless you're about 10.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I do support England. I'm English and I support England in every sport at every level. Like a lot of club fans I am a 'club over country' man, but not to the extent of a lot on here. A Brighton defeat upsets me more than an England defeat, but some may remember that there was a poll before the last World Cup which showed that most wanted Albion to get promotion (from League One!) as opposed to England winning the cup. I could never be that unambitious or parochial, although given a choice between England winning the WC or Brighton winning the FA Cup ...

I don't have the same depth of feeling for the national side it's true. I long ago accepted that, for whatever reason, we weren't one of the top nations and so I just try and watch the games and tournaments and hope that England do as well as we can. I suspect a lot of people don't support England because they brought into all the hype ('remember the 'Golden Generation' rubbish and 2006?) and then when reality struck they felt betrayed, hence all the posts that the player's "don't care". After all if you're the best in the world what other excuse is there for not winning?

Mar 10, 2006
The whole thing is a boring crock of shit. A load of ****ing scumbags who epitomise everything wrong with the country today (money orientated, selfish, couldn't give a **** about anything except their own self importance, think the whole world revolves around them etc). They have about as much passion for the cause as a ****ing blob of jelly. Amazing that in years gone by the workplace would be full of chatter about an upcoming Engalnd game and then a post mortem the day after the game, nowadays i never hear anyone talk about the game before or after the event. Sums up most peoples feelings towards the whole thing I think.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Everyone loves an underdog... Even though we are a bit like Poyet, think we're bigger and better than we actually are.

Who do you mean by "WE"?

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Supporting England goes without saying. It's a interesting combination of adrenaline and depression.

Jan 30, 2008
never really got this,somehow it's become cool not to support England

for me it's an unconditional thing like following the Albion

is it the fact that the players are overpaid prima donnas?

doesn't really stand up that argument,as most players in the football league are grossly overpaid

maybe it's because England always under achieve?

can't really use that either,it's like admitting you didn't support Brighton when they were sh*t

are you worried you might be considered some sort of nationalistic freak,such is the stigma of flying the flag of St George

why are the Scots,Welsh & Irish more patriotic than us English?

Brazil v England this weekend,will you watch it?

take out the european/world cups this is about as big as it gets for England,maybe with the exception of the Jocks

I really don't get it,why don't you support England?
BAND , CORPORATES, CLUB ENGLAND, = shit football experience
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
i find national pride a little difficult to deal with. I love england and our nuances.

We roll cheese down a steep bank and ignore the legal advice. We gurn. We eat nettles. We race lawn mowers. We throw peas.

However, i think we have a lot of faults.
you sound like a wet lettuce :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here