Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is a sensible post. He linked up well with Lopez too which always help. Barnes has a lot of attributes which seem to go unnoticed by quite a few supporters. He can tackle, head, track back, hold the ball up, shoot and more than anything he's determined which is something we need in our team at times.

Top post.

You too have spotted all the other attributes. Bottle and can put his foot in when the skilled lightweights are facing bullies.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Oh gosh another thread about Barnes :facepalm: just what we needed :facepalm:

Oh gosh another post from you criticising another user's post :facepalm: just what we needed :facepalm:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Excellent young all round player who will only get better. Had a dodgy couple of games but is coming back into form. Nothing to see here, move along :yawn:

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
No I can't see it

Only plays for us because of the system Gus chooses to play, very much doubt he would get into any other top 10 Champ side let alone Prem

Crikey that's right you expert connoisseur football brain blockheadseagull, you might have said the same about Murray.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This is a sensible post. He linked up well with Lopez too which always help. Barnes has a lot of attributes which seem to go unnoticed by quite a few supporters. He can tackle, head, track back, hold the ball up, shoot and more than anything he's determined which is something we need in our team at times.

Absolutely right. He's a great all rounder and adds great value. Like any player when he's out of form he looks it, but when he's in form he is excellent.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I think looks better each time I see him...baring in mind thats rare as im abroad, but maybe if you see him every week, you dont see the improvements as much..

Dec 29, 2011
I think Barnes will play THREE Premier League games, before being loaned out to a Championship side, and then signed.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Crikey that's right you expert connoisseur football brain blockheadseagull, you might have said the same about Murray.

What ?

Haven't slagged off Barnes and why even mention Murray ?

Barnes does a decent job in the system we play, the reason I say no is players like Cox, Sharp etc haven't made it at Prem level and they are both better players than Ash. He plays in a role that not many other sides adopt so can't see a queue of clubs wanting to take a risk at him at Prem league level.

You clearly are one of these people who thinks that anyone who questions Barnes doesn't understand football.

Decent Champ player in the role he plays yeah, premier league player no

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
What ?

Haven't slagged off Barnes and why even mention Murray ?

Barnes does a decent job in the system we play, the reason I say no is players like Cox, Sharp etc haven't made it at Prem level and they are both better players than Ash. He plays in a role that not many other sides adopt so can't see a queue of clubs wanting to take a risk at him at Prem league level.

You clearly are one of these people who thinks that anyone who questions Barnes doesn't understand football.

Decent Champ player in the role he plays yeah, premier league player no

First of all, "Cox better than Barnes"? You what?? :lolol:

Second, what is "the role" that Ashley plays exactly?
When I mentioned what he does for the team, I mean in every respect and position!
If I were an opposition player I'd say "don't make me mark Barnes" because he's EVERYWHERE.

& why should I not mention Murray - his ability to make the step up (at his old age) was questioned too, and though I cannot have predicted his success at palace, it transpired he's a raging success there unfortunately.
We have a striker roaming up front in a clear 'role' in CMS, and Ashley B. scores goals at this level while midfield, defence, wing and attack! He makes space for others and has a determination, ambition, physical presence, experience (already), awareness, and yes - ability to score goals.
His marker must cover a lot of ground or just have to leave him alone and hope he doesn't turn up and score or make a matchwinning move or pass.
He does a bit of matchwinning without needing to score a goal, in my opinion.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I should have said "pointwinning" and not matchwinning, as that covers for the matches we don't lose, rather than ones we win.
More to the point for what the player means to us.
Over the course of this season it's been more about draws than wins.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Barnes could easily play in the Prem but there is a difference between making one or two appearances and becoming a Premiership regular. There have been players who belong in league one who have made occasional appearances at the top level. Even Man Utd have played some of their youngsters in the top division before they end up way down the league. Which reminds me, Obertan is gash - quite what he's doing at Newcastle I really don't know. He should be at somewhere like Sheffied United.

As for Barnes, he needs to be more consistent and become a bit more prolific with his chances if he is going to forge a career any higher than this, and to be fair time is on his side. Consistency is the main difference between Barnes and Liam Bridcutt for me. Bridcutt is better than Barnes (we can argue by how much) but more crucially, he is so consistent. His off-days are very rare indeed.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
First of all, "Cox better than Barnes"? You what?? :lolol:

Second, what is "the role" that Ashley plays exactly?
When I mentioned what he does for the team, I mean in every respect and position!
If I were an opposition player I'd say "don't make me mark Barnes" because he's EVERYWHERE.

& why should I not mention Murray - his ability to make the step up (at his old age) was questioned too, and though I cannot have predicted his success at palace, it transpired he's a raging success there unfortunately.
We have a striker roaming up front in a clear 'role' in CMS, and Ashley B. scores goals at this level while midfield, defence, wing and attack! He makes space for others and has a determination, ambition, physical presence, experience (already), awareness, and yes - ability to score goals.
His marker must cover a lot of ground or just have to leave him alone and hope he doesn't turn up and score or make a matchwinning move or pass.
He does a bit of matchwinning without needing to score a goal, in my opinion.

Simon Cox is a better striker than Barnes, end of and has a scoring record to prove it

Ashley Barnes does a very good role in a withdrawn striker position, either being asked to play on left or right and occasionally central midfield. As his role seems to be a supporting one rather than a creative one he does a good job. He hasn't got the ability to beat a player although he ability to hold the ball up and draw the foul is exceptional. The nearest comparison to the role he plays is Emnes perhaps ? While I like Barnes I don't view him through the rose tinted spectacles that some do, he is solid and unspectacular and while he fits in to our system and has a big part to making it work I don't see many other sides above us playing a system he would be as effective in.

I would love to see him as an out and out striker alongside CMS and or someone else as I believe that is the only way he will be able to prove his ability as a possible premiership player.

As for Murray, his season has no relevance on whether Ash can play at Prem level and I have never said whether Murray can or can't make the grade in the top division

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here