• No, I don't want Safe Standing at the AMEX

Votes: 92 16.7%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Noth Stand Standing/Safe Standing Trial Support

Insider has posted a reply on the clubs position - it isnt good or supportive of this, put it that way.

The club does not support any move for "safe standing" in football stadia and is not considering such a move for the American Express Community Stadium. We have just spent over £100 million developing a state of the art all-seated football stadium, recently named best new venue in the world. One of our main aims was to make the stadium fully inclusive for anyone who wishes to watch and enjoy football, regardless of their age, sex, height, or physical condition, and for them to do so in an atmosphere that is conducive to comfort, great views, and good behaviour. This is in stark contrast to standing areas where a large percentage of the general football watching population are excluded because they would be unable to actually see the pitch. In turn, standing areas create the potential for poor behaviour to go undetected and unresolved. As a club that is doing all it can to promote a family event atmosphere within the stadium and on its approaches, this would be a backward step.

Dreadful.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sad they won't consider it and to me indicates they are losing touch with the real fans who made us what we are - prawn sarnies here we come!!

But you still think the Amex is fantastic?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That is a very disappointing response from the club.

It basically says "we don't care what you want, we'll decide what you get".

It basically means that we need to write to the board en masse, as well as to our MPs.

What a sorry state of affairs that our "inclusive" "community" club refuses to listen to their "customers". :nono:

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
The club does not support any move for "safe standing" in football stadia and is not considering such a move for the American Express Community Stadium. We have just spent over £100 million developing a state of the art all-seated football stadium, recently named best new venue in the world. One of our main aims was to make the stadium fully inclusive for anyone who wishes to watch and enjoy football, regardless of their age, sex, height, or physical condition, and for them to do so in an atmosphere that is conducive to comfort, great views, and good behaviour. This is in stark contrast to standing areas where a large percentage of the general football watching population are excluded because they would be unable to actually see the pitch. In turn, standing areas create the potential for poor behaviour to go undetected and unresolved. As a club that is doing all it can to promote a family event atmosphere within the stadium and on its approaches, this would be a backward step.

Dreadful.

This Club was saved 15 years ago because of the power the fans have. If 90% of them want change, they will get it.

Hope you're reading this Hebbard.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
That is a very disappointing response from the club.

It basically says "we don't care what you want, we'll decide what you get".

It basically means that we need to write to the board en masse, as well as to our MPs.

What a sorry state of affairs that our "inclusive" "community" club refuses to listen to their "customers". :nono:

It goes further than that, though.

I can fully understand why the Amex is not a suitable venue for this project at the current time. The club has fought hard for a long time and spent a lot of money to get us to where we are, and it must seem ungrateful for fans wanting to rip it out and start again. There's then the residual transport issues of increased capacity that haven't been dealt with fully for the size of the current ground. However, to say they don't support the campaign AT ALL and that standing areas create bad behaviour (citation needed) that cannot be detected or resolved (citation needed) and that safe standing would be a backward step is ridiculous.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
One of our main aims was to make the stadium fully inclusive for anyone who wishes to watch and enjoy football, regardless of their age, sex, height, or physical condition, and for them to do so in an atmosphere that is conducive to comfort, great views, and good behaviour.

So everyone, apart from people who want to stand then.

Awful response by the club.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Well, I'm assuming Insider is still Paul Camillin, and if so, that seems to me to be poacher turned gamekeeper and then some, unless he is expressing an opinion he doesn't agree with personally, which is perfectly possible!
So our club's stance denies the reality of football just about everywhere else in Europe, and appears to turn its back on the views of fans who were an integral part of the fight to give us the future we now have - many of whom, I know for a fact, support safe standing. Other clubs with nothing like our history of fans and club working together are prepared to trial something which our club turns down flat. Absolutely DISGUSTING.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Dreadful.
what about safe face painting areas?:moo:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Is our club actually making an effort to kill the atmosphere? Reads like it in Insider's response.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
:drama: :tantrum:

Don't use this as an excuse to have yet another pop at the club. It's a bit pathetic really.

I'd love safe standing, but it's not that simple is it? Think of the cost in replacing the seats we have already spent millions on installing for starters.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Personally I don't think the Amex is a suitable venue for this anyway. This is based on the practicalities of ripping out seats that haven't even finished being put in yet, and the associated transport and planning issues related to the stadium anyway.

However, the club does not support the Safe Standing project on principle, in ANY football ground.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
:drama: :tantrum:

Don't use this as an excuse to have yet another pop at the club. It's a bit pathetic really.

I'd love safe standing, but it's not that simple is it? Think of the cost in replacing the seats we have already spent millions on installing for starters.

It would be simple for the club to agree to the project in principle, but not in practice at the Amex for the reasons we've both given. They could still host the road-show so people can see what it's all about.

Dec 29, 2011
Is our club actually making an effort to kill the atmosphere? Reads like it in Insider's response.

For "us" the important thing is an atmosphere, for "them" the important thing is the profit. I'm sure we'd take 18,000 every week who all sang as loud as the North stand, whereas they'd take 27,5000 every week who all sat as quietly as the East stand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here