Safe Standing at the AMEX: Yes or No?

Yes or No to a Safe Standing area?

• Yes, I would like to see the North stand made a Safe Standing zone

Votes: 459 83.3%
  • No, I don't want Safe Standing at the AMEX

Votes: 92 16.7%

• Total voters

Nov 8, 2012
I like the idea of standing, but not changing the seats to ones similar to the above. Just keep everything as it is, but allow people to stand. I'm sure lots of us on here have been to sold out away days where everyone stands and the stewards have no problems. Has anyone died, suddenly become ill, lost a limb, forgotten their own name or killed someone during these games? No.
Keep everything as it is, but allow people to stand up. Simple.

What about the fans among the away following at a sold-out away day who prefer to sit or have difficulty standing for 90 minutes? Shouldn't they have the choice of a seat?

Whether standing is allowed at normal seats or at rail seats (which personally I think is more likely to be allowed, as it can clearly be argued that standing at a waist-high rail is safer than standing behind a shin-high seatback), there has to be separate designated areas for standing and sitting.

It's all about providing choice.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I like the idea of standing, but not changing the seats to ones similar to the above. Just keep everything as it is, but allow people to stand. I'm sure lots of us on here have been to sold out away days where everyone stands and the stewards have no problems. Has anyone died, suddenly become ill, lost a limb, forgotten their own name or killed someone during these games? No.
Keep everything as it is, but allow people to stand up. Simple.

That's the thing, standing where there are normal seats isn't really safe. You're more likely to fall over a seat when celebrating a goal than behind a waist-high barrier.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Personally, I much prefer to sit at games. However, I think it would be great if fans had the choice.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I have just sent this to Paul Barber, Martin Perry and Derek Chapman.

I was just wondering what the current state of play is regarding the opening of the museum at the Amex. We need these huge crowds, comprised of fans old and new, young and old, to be able to get a proper look at our history – the last hundred plus years and the last fifteen or so, so everyone can be truly aware of how far we’ve come.
What’s the latest news?
Also, we have a safe standing poll on NSC right now; its results are even more conclusive than the one we did regarding the real ale, and we all know how well that has gone! I gather that Caroline Lucas was in touch regarding EDM 573 and was told by the Board that safe standing would detract from the community experience. About 90% of the online Albion voters (already established as a good litmus test for the opinions of our fanbase as a whole, as evinced by the huge success of the beer as mentioned above) are in favour, which means that we don’t think it would, and we are the Albion community :)
Of course everyone is fully aware that the government has to give the go ahead first, but we think we should join Aston Villa, Sunderland, Bristol City, C*****l P****e, Derby County, Hull City and Peterborough United in supporting the idea in principle. I know that one member of the Board does already!

One very important aspect of the community experience is inclusivity - the simple ability of fans on lower incomes to be able to afford to attend games. Safe standing would allow for lower ticket prices and enable more people to enjoy the experience at our wonderful new stadium, and at not quite so good stadia all over the country. I’ve just come back from a German tour and was shown a Borussia Dortmund season ticket for their standing area – 225 Euros, and that includes the first round of the Champions League as well!
We have pioneered an awful lot at the Albion over the last few years. Many of us think it’s time we were pioneers once again.
Yours, John.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Very quick reply from Derek Chapman. Interesting and good news re museum. As for safe standing .......

John,
The Museum area is cleaned out all the walls are painted and the flooring laid, Tim is sorting out and agreeing the design of the interior, he has had several meetings and I believe that we should be in a position to go out to tender with the various packages early in the new year, so the target has to be for the start on the new season. I am all rush and tear, but Tim wants it right and as it will be there for the next 100 years I respect his position. The content is 100% down to Tim of course.
With regards to standing, I am sure that Martin and Paul will confirm the clubs position.
Regards Derek

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Very interesting. They haven't discussed this with Sussex Police then. Because I have, and they are keen to see the demo and, knowing how well it's worked in Germany and what it adds to the atmosphere. Let's see what the 'Club's opinion' is after the roadshow has come to town.

Memo to Hebbard: it's a big bandwagon which is gathering a lot of momentum. Good luck in de-railing. Pun intended.

I guess you must be speaking to high-ranking officers - good on you.

I tweeted (though really ought to have DM'd) Darren Balkham...

Does Sussex Police have an opinion on 'Safe Standing' at football generally and the Amex specifically?

and reply was...

Sussex police would not comment on this subject as the lead for this from the police would be ACPO.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Very quick reply from Derek Chapman. Interesting and good news re museum. As for safe standing .......

John,
The Museum area is cleaned out all the walls are painted and the flooring laid, Tim is sorting out and agreeing the design of the interior, he has had several meetings and I believe that we should be in a position to go out to tender with the various packages early in the new year, so the target has to be for the start on the new season. I am all rush and tear, but Tim wants it right and as it will be there for the next 100 years I respect his position. The content is 100% down to Tim of course.
With regards to standing, I am sure that Martin and Paul will confirm the clubs position.
Regards Derek

Thanks for the update John. Very eager to hear what Martin/Paul say. If they toe the 'we do what the FA tell us to do' line then the next questions should be 'can we please invite the roadshow to town to demonstrate to all Albion fans what this would look like in real life'. As I've said before, I'm more than happy to arrange with the Club, FSF, Police (if needed) to get this going. Will probably not go for the home game on 17th March!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Still very much on the cards. One public body is holding things up - not the clubs or the SPL. I'll leave you to guess who!

No SGSA in Scotland so presume you're talking about the Scottish Government. Still it seems strange to me that there isn't more of a public push on that front with nothing happening a year after the announcement. Surely a bit of pressure from SPL and the clubs and yourselves would make a difference.

Nov 8, 2012
No SGSA in Scotland so presume you're talking about the Scottish Government. Still it seems strange to me that there isn't more of a public push on that front with nothing happening a year after the announcement. Surely a bit of pressure from SPL and the clubs and yourselves would make a difference.

There's plenty of pressure - and it's not the Government that's holding things up. It's a much more powerful force!

However, all good things come to those who wait ... as you found out with your stadium.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
There's plenty of pressure - and it's not the Government that's holding things up. It's a much more powerful force!

However, all good things come to those who wait ... as you found out with your stadium.

Is it the Liverpool Relatives Committee who are holding things up? I've heard something to that effect. If it is, then strange, given that everything they have campaigned for has been vindicated, and, as we have always known, terracing was not the cause of the tragedy but bad policing of a bad safety policy followed by a tissue of lies from those who should have been in charge.

Nov 8, 2012
Is it the Liverpool Relatives Committee who are holding things up? I've heard something to that effect. If it is, then strange, given that everything they have campaigned for has been vindicated, and, as we have always known, terracing was not the cause of the tragedy but bad policing of a bad safety policy followed by a tissue of lies from those who should have been in charge.

Nope, not them. A much more powerful force.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Phew, it's not that easy re-jigging the salient points and keeping it together, so here's mine for somebody else to C+P

Dear Tessa Jowell MP,

As my MP, i am writing to you to ask you to show support for EDM 573, and attend the Football Supporter's Federation 'Safe standing' event in Portcullis House (Attlee Suite) on Tuesday 11th December 2012 please.

Safe standing at rail seats is a tried and tested safe way allowing standing at grounds - This video may help you understand a bit more.
Safe standing at rail seats - YouTube

In a recent survey, 9 out of 10 fans voted for the choice to sit or stand; it's certainly a popular vote.

Specified area's designated just for standing, would also means those who wish to sit, would not have their views interrupted by persistent standers.

Safe standing can be introduced within stringent safety standards laid down in the Government’s Green Guide, and safe standing pilots are being backed not just by fans, but by many clubs as well, including Aston Villa, Sunderland, Derby County, Hull City and Peterborough United.

Every German football ground now has some element of safe standing, and they are proving that it is possible to have this, and give something back to the fans; In both England and abroad ticket prices for standing areas are typically lower than in seated areas, giving football clubs the opportunity to make stadiums more socially inclusive, while the higher density of supporters creates extra revenue.

More information can be found here - Safe Standing Campaign | Football Supporters Federation

As a recent Secretary of Culture, Media and Sport, and being the prime instigator for the wonderful Olympics, it would be fantastic if you can take some time to investigate the growing campaign, and show your support.

Yours sincerely,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here