Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child Benefit Changes

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Those people that get bus passes but dont need them will not travel on buses, so what's the problem.

Indeed , apparently the cost is based on taken journeys so the cost for those that don't use them is minimal.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Those people that get bus passes but dont need them will not travel on buses, so what's the problem.

Yes, bus passes is possibly a bad example.

The point I was tring to make was that I know an awful lot of people who enjoy Free TV Licence, winter fuel allowance etc, and as others have said, have used their Child Benefit for their Holiday spending money.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Yup - the equivalent of a £2000 pay cut. Nice.

Glad the bloke at the end of the road keeps his benefits, must be expensive being at home all day doing f-all.

This. f*** the Tories, f*** the Bankers, f*** off all of them. I have been caned by the CSA for years...this is ending in the foreseeable and now I will get spannered by this too. It never f***ing ends. Funny how HMRC are so quick off the mark with this wheeze when they make you wait a year for a rebate when you over-pay the twats.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This. f*** the Tories, f*** the Bankers, f*** off all of them. I have been caned by the CSA for years...this is ending in the foreseeable and now I will get spannered by this too. It never f***ing ends. Funny how HMRC are so quick off the mark with this wheeze when they make you wait a year for a rebate when you over-pay the twats.

Please don't take this as a dig but more an interested query. I came to a settlement agreement rather than a CSA enforcement and I pay about 40% more than the CSA web calculator says. I'm intrigued, given the calculator, how anyone can be screwed by the CSA ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Child benefit should be scrapped for any new claimants after a date set by Parliament. There should be a replacement in the form of working tax credits (maximum payout limited to 2 children) for working couples or working single parents earning a maximum of £30k p.a. Those who are unwaged and receiving Universal Credit should get a top up payment (maximum payout limited to 2 children) with no top up if their benefits are in excess of £30k p.a.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Please don't take this as a dig but more an interested query. I came to a settlement agreement rather than a CSA enforcement and I pay about 40% more than the CSA web calculator says. I'm intrigued, given the calculator, how anyone can be screwed by the CSA ?

Because , in a previous job, I recieved a generous car allowance on top of salary. This was because I travelled a LOT had to buy my own car and pay for all incidentals plus watching it depreciate as the miles totted up...the CSA decided that that was a benefit so took 15% of that as well as the normal salary deduction leaving me out of pocket. I fought this like a madman but the amount remained. When I left that job, because I was losing money, it carried over to my new one and they got an attachment of earnings order. That meant for the past few months I had Over a grand deducted from salary leaving me struggling to feed my other kids.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Because , in a previous job, I recieved a generous car allowance on top of salary. This was because I travelled a LOT had to buy my own car and pay for all incidentals plus watching it depreciate as the miles totted up...the CSA decided that that was a benefit so took 15% of that as well as the normal salary deduction leaving me out of pocket. I fought this like a madman but the amount remained. When I left that job, because I was losing money, it carried over to my new one and they got an attachment of earnings order. That meant for the past few months I had Over a grand deducted from salary leaving me struggling to feed my other kids.

I feel for you mate, but from I understand (have a close mate currently dealing with the CSA) they include all taxable income in their calculations, whether that be a cash for car allowance or a P11D benefit in kind. Ridiculous really as you have already paid income tax on it, so the CSA basically wipe out that extra which you need to be able to perform your day to day job.

From what I've seen and heard the CSA seem to be even bigger wankers than those at HMRC. I didn't think that was possible.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I am against any cuts by the Tory's when they continue to steal and squander our money although I was shocked to hear how many families get child benefits when they already have reasonable incomes. Also cheeky that a lot of families receiving child benefit don't consider themselves to be receiving state benefit. It has been and will always be my opinion that if you cannot afford a baby don't have one, and if you can afford one you shouldn't be claiming state benefit to raise the child. Of all the cuts the tory's are making this is by far the most acceptable.

despite me and my wife bringing in over £50k between us I will hapilly put the twenty quid a week or what ever it is in the "holiday fund" and i'll tell you why

Before little Jack came along my wife and I had worked without claiming benefits for a combined total of 46 years paying a lot of tax an NI in that time,

and how did we get to £50k+ between us? hard f***ing graft that's how

when Jack was born my wife took six months off paid for by money we had worked for and saved up

after six months she went back to full time work and Jack does a few shifts at an expensive nursery (not expensive by choice, they're all expensive)

now he's three my wife and I have worked for 51 years combined without claiming dole

(she has worked her whole life for the NHS so she's hardly overpaid)

anyway I agree the figures are wrong with regard to single/dual incomes, but I won't be losing any sleep by anyone on here suggesting we are not entitled to it,

perhaps those who say it shouldn't be paid should look no further than the end of their own street, they'll know doubt see three generations of layabouts that have never done a fuckin stroke of work in their lives due to a 'bad back' or because they have 'panic attacks', second thoughs maybe the golf course or the nearest Weatherspoons might be a better bet. meanwhile we'll carry on "costing the country" £900 a year

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
despite me and my wife bringing in over £50k between us I will hapilly put the twenty quid a week or what ever it is in the "holiday fund" and i'll tell you why

Before little Jack came along my wife and I had worked without claiming benefits for a combined total of 46 years paying a lot of tax an NI in that time,

and how did we get to £50k+ between us? hard f***ing graft that's how

when Jack was born my wife took six months off paid for by money we had worked for and saved up

after six months she went back to full time work and Jack does a few shifts at an expensive nursery (not expensive by choice, they're all expensive)

now he's three my wife and I have worked for 51 years combined without claiming dole

(she has worked her whole life for the NHS so she's hardly overpaid)

anyway I agree the figures are wrong with regard to single/dual incomes, but I won't be losing any sleep by anyone on here suggesting we are not entitled to it,

perhaps those who say it shouldn't be paid should look no further than the end of their own street, they'll know doubt see three generations of layabouts that have never done

a fuckin stroke of work in their lives due to a 'bad back' or because they have 'panic attacks', second thoughs maybe the golf course or the nearest Weatherspoons might be a

better bet, but carry on

Bitter at all? It's people like you that make me thoroughly glad well off parents are getting their holiday fund, paid for by me, cut. I'm a single man with no kids, I've worked extremely hard my entire life, paid my taxes, made my own money. Why the hell should I pay for you to go on your holiday? Selfish.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As has been said many times it should be based on the total income for the house whether it be 1 or 2 people earning that amount, but I also think that the figure should be based on twice the average wage for the country plus a little extra. In March 2012 the BBC in a report said a person needs to earn £36800 to live so set the figure based on that at perhaps a household earning £75,000

Last edited:

As has been said many times it should be based on the total income for the house whether it be 1 or 2 people earning that amount.

that I don't dispute, but this country has always tried its best to penalise those that get off their arse and work, I know a number of layabouts the 'claim' they'd be worse off having a job. They may or may not be telling the truth, but they seem to eat well

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
tax on £50k a year? £15,000? £16,000? child benefit on a year £900, you imply you're an intellegent man, do the sums

We all pay tax pal, it's a shame mine goes into the holiday fund of scroungers like you and your wife. I resent having to pay for your kids anyway, let alone the fact you admit you put it in your holday fund. You're defending the indefensable. In principle you are no different to those "scum at the end of the road".

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Totally agree with this

I've sent a stinking email to George Osborne. It wont do any good, of course but it made me feel slightly better

Not had a reply and not expecting one
You should send a letter to your MP, especially if they're from one of the two parties in government. Your MP is (I believe) duty bound to reply - accountability to a constituency is meant to be one of the benefits of our voting system.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes, bus passes is possibly a bad example.

The point I was tring to make was that I know an awful lot of people who enjoy Free TV Licence, winter fuel allowance etc, and as others have said, have used their Child Benefit for their Holiday spending money.

How does somebody get Free TV Licence and winter fuel allowance and still be young enough to have children to claim child benefit unless being disabled. I thought the winter fuel allowance was age related, asd was free TV Licences except for the blind. Due to my age I get a free pass bus which I use extensively and winter fuel allowance but not a free TV licence.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
:lolol: you wag, you had me going for a minute

I'm deadly serious. I resent paying for your holidays. You chose to have kids why should I pay for them? We all work hard. Unfortunately it's this unquestioning sense of entitlement that you clearly display that got this nation into the state we are in. You and your wife haven't acheived anything special, despite what you seem to think. It's what normal people do.

I'm deadly serious. I resent paying for your holidays. You chose to have kids why should I pay for them? We all work hard. Unfortunately it's this unquestioning sense of entitlement that you clearly display that got this nation into the state we are in.

I appreciate you paying for my holiday, It means what I earned on yesterday's 13 hr shift I can do on fags and scratchcards.

we don't ALL work hard, have you been down London Rd lately, or pop into Wetherspoons when you're in town next, see if they're all enjoying their "day off"

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm deadly serious. I resent paying for your holidays. You chose to have kids why should I pay for them? We all work hard. Unfortunately it's this unquestioning sense of entitlement that you clearly display that got this nation into the state we are in. You and your wife haven't acheived anything special, despite what you seem to think. It's what normal people do.
I agree with your point Nibble, but feel you are being needlessly aggressive. He's not a scrounger is he? Merely taking what he's entitled to. He isn't manipulating his own circumstances to maximise his benefits as far as I can see.

But you are right (or at least I agree with you) that child benefits really should be properly means tested at the very least, if not removed completely, and I speak as someone who is really going to miss them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here