Palace - just had a very interesting conversation

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just spoke to a close friend of one of the Palace owners.

Interesting conversation, key points:

For next few years the club's only ambition is not for results on the pitch but to become financially solvent.

New ground plans will never happen. Totally resigned to making the best of Selhurst (but realising that is a very difficult job).

Keeping transfer fees and wages under tight control.

Trying to attract a larger fanbase. Hugely disappointed by last season's attendances. Worried that Crawley, Brighton and Charlton are a more attractive proposition for the next generation of fans, plus the general trend of new kids supporting Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc.

Know that they are now a long way behind the likes of Brighton in terms of their ability to attract players due to wage structure, ground, area and manager!! (In their words, Gus is gold dust on this front)

And finally, the board have been disappointed with the signing of Murray as he has not settled well with his team mates and Doogie is struggling to manage that. But will stick with Doogie as he is good at bringing young players through which is the cheap and preferred option.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant

For next few years the club's only ambition is not for results on the pitch but to become financially solvent.

New ground plans will never happen. Totally resigned to making the best of Selhurst (but realising that is a very difficult job).

Trying to attract a larger fanbase. Hugely disappointed by last season's attendances. Worried that Crawley, Brighton and Charlton are a more attractive proposition for the next generation of fans, plus the general trend of new kids supporting Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc.

Know that they are now a long way behind the likes of Brighton in terms of their ability to attract players due to wage structure, ground, area and manager!! (In their words, Gus is gold dust on this front)

And finally, the board have been disappointed with the signing of Murray as he has not settled well with his team mates and Doogie is struggling to manage that. But will stick with Doogie as he is good at bringing young players through which is the cheap and preferred option.

We would have told them, if they had only asked!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
That conversation actually reveals the owners not be as stupid as they look or sound. It seems like they have their priorities straight. I guess life will be pretty dull for Palace fans for foreseeable future, but at least it looks like they'll have one.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

Very interesting this. I wonder why the new ground thing is dead in the water considering they were looking at the National Athletics Stadium? That's not being utilised by anybody now, and without the new ground, they are going really REALLY struggle to attract a new fanbase. We are the prime example of that...!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Sounds like a sensible approach for them, don't want them to overspend again and go into another administration after all.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Trying to attract a larger fanbase.

I think this should be applauded.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Sounds like a sensible approach for them, don't want them to overspend again and go into another administration after all.

To be fair it sounds very much like the Dick Knight approach. The club is being mothballed effectively. The only concern I would have if I was a Palace fan (other than remembering to wash now and again) would be that with no new ground how can they ever be more than a run of the mill lower Championship team. But I guess a poor existence is better than no existence at all. Ask Pompey!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sounds like a good plan, but I fail to see how they'll increase their fan base with that strategy.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Seems a very realistic outlook. Probably at complete odds with the expectations of their fans but they would do well to try to live within their means. They have a decent academy so are probably better placed than many Clubs to focus on home grown talent. They probably have to accept they will do well to survive this season, in reality they look more and more like an average League 1 Club.

Too many Clubs continue to have champagne tastes but brown ale budgets. We should never forget just how lucky we are to have a benefactor like Tony Bloom - without him we would be in a dire state, maybe worse. Looking at the thread showing photos from the Amex tours underlines just how dream like our current position is compared to even 2-3 years ago. It is so important to get the Club into a strong financial position, it would be easy to spray money all over the place on transfers. Clubs like Leicester have learned that instant success is not a gimme. Will be interesting to see how many Clubs adopt a shit or bust approach to get to the Premiership at all costs, fail and plummit down the Divisions or don't survive.

Life under the FFP rules will be a harsh reality for many Clubs who may have to accept they will never be able to compete at a higher level and rise above League 1 or 2 but at least might help them survive.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Very interesting this. I wonder why the new ground thing is dead in the water considering they were looking at the National Athletics Stadium? That's not being utilised by anybody now,

because its in another borough which is hostile towards football, it is still currently in use by athletics and it would be very expensive? a couple of years time, if there's an athletics stadium still in Stratford and weeds grow around the track at Crystal Palace, there might be a change of heart. right now its a fantasy. seems Parish and co have finally realised that. if they can get the local council onside theres scope to improve the Smellhurst ground, at least enough to make it look decent and not a cow shed.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
But I thought they were all BILLIONAIRES? What are they playing at??

What difference does that make when they want the club to be solvent and not bankrolled by large inputs from individuals which can't be guaranteed as sustainable? They should be applauded for that.

Saying at the start of the summer that they were 'going to go for it' in terms of promotion may have been a little unwise though. They do seem to need some media training after their recent tweets.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
They are being sensible, but I'm not sure it's what some of their more deluded supporters want to hear.
Indeed, a welcome outbreak of sanity from the club owners. I hope they can keep to the plan when the more vociferous, ignorant fans (and all clubs have got them, including us) start asking where the new signings are and why aren't they challenging for promotion? (And the self-same fans will be the first to say "It isn't our fault!" if the club got into trouble again).

IF that conversation is true then fair play to Palace; if they can keep their heads they'll be doing football a big favour.

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
Are Brighton and Crawley really a threat in terms of new fans? Can't see it myself, live and grew up and now work in a School in South London, its all Chelsea nowadays really.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
Indeed, a welcome outbreak of sanity from the club owners. I hope they can keep to the plan when the more vociferous, ignorant fans (and all clubs have got them, including us) start asking where the new signings are and why aren't they challenging for promotion? (And the self-same fans will be the first to say "It isn't our fault!" if the club got into trouble again).

IF that conversation is true then fair play to Palace; if they can keep their heads they'll be doing football a big favour.

It's a balance though isn't it. I'm pleased that they are building for the future on a sound economic footing, but would still like to think we could compete this year with a few decent, cheapish signings.

I guess if Brighton hadn't done it the right way in the past, then TB wouldn't be so happy to bank roll the club, which he's doing with spectacular results (grrrrrr!). Palace have had over-ambitious owners in the past who've messed up, big time, and this lot have committed to getting it right. As you say, the challenge is if we lose our first 5 games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports