Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
Cheers mate....funnily enough I have the manual and that says don't use auto. My mate who is a photographer says by using auto is like having a cordon blue qualification and just eating takeaways all the time

I am actually half way through taking evening classes for beginners with these people - thoroughly recommend it if you can get to Chichester without too much hassle. Its been a brilliant course and I have learnt so much, pretty good value as well. Photography Training Courses | Holidays | Surrey | West Sussex | Hampshire | UK | Spain

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Cheers mate....funnily enough I have the manual and that says don't use auto. My mate who is a photographer says by using auto is like having a cordon blue qualification and just eating takeaways all the time

Ha Ha, indeed! Good luck in what you do and look forward to seeing some snaps on here!

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
I was wondering if there was a general photography thread on here, but after a brief search, I couldn't find one.

What camera(s)/lens(es) do you have?

I got a Canon 600D with 50mm f/1.8 II lens last week for my birthday, I've recently ordered a 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II for some telephoto action and I'm planning on ordering an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens when the cheques go through!

I have both those lenses that you're looking at. I bought them to go with my Canon 1000D. I have since upgraded to a 60D. They are both good starter lenses.
I would like help with an experiment I started some months ago. If anybody would like to give me some pointers to improve my photography you can find me on www.flickr.com
User name: bakehurst

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blending Scenes from WWII into Present Day TwistedSifter

blending-scenes-from-wwii-into-present-day-2.jpg

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Nice bokeh :)

This camera is a beauty. Picture taken on macro setting but otherwise fully automatic. Here's a couple more taken the same way. I love the little fly on the snowdrop - didn't see it till I looked at the picture.

p1030554gk.jpg

p1030574k.jpg

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Some decent photography. :)

I think the front page is too busy as constructive criticism.

Also your email link should be 'clickable'

Thanks,

The problem is that I have most of my photos on a hard drive stored away in the UK. I split the wedding and portrait up in two sections and they both look a bit light. Will thry and think of another way.

Good idea about the email. Did not know that it wasn't.

Cheers.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I have a Nikon D80 with an 18 - 105 lens which I bought off a mate quite cheap.
Although I've studied the manual, I'm still baffled by all the jargon and the swithches and knobs on the camera.
My motto used to be, "Put it on green and click".
As the popular consensus of opinion on here seems to be put it on P, I've done so. Then I click.
The automatic focus switches on the camera and lens are still on. I can't see what's different with the photos I've taken recently on this setting compared to the green.
Are there any recommended web sites where I can start to learn how to perhaps pick up some advice in laymans' language so I can take advantage of what I'm told is a pretty good camera?
Any advice would be great.
Your help is much appreciated.

I posted this just over a year ago. In this time, I haven't exactly come on in leaps and bounds, but thanks to various internet sites, I've learned a hell of a lot. I've now got the aperture, shutter speed malarkey basically sorted. I know what all the settings do on the mode dial, and am getting really in to this. I've made a few mistakes, but it costs nothing. I took what I thought would be smashing photos of the wild flowers at Preston Park bowling greens, with a snake of school kids in their yellow jackets running along the path through the flowers. I have been using the "M" mode, setting the aperture and shutter speed like a real pro, and being really pleased with myself. However, after taking some shots close up to blur the background using a low f setting, I forgot to increase it. Hence loads of lovely washed out rubbish, but I learned a lesson!
Whilst I'm posting, here's a few a picture of the echiums I took at Dukes Mound with a one click photoshop filter applied. Can't remember which one.
Nikon D80. 1/80 second. f 20.

Attachments

• Echiums resized.JPG
    Echiums resized.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 165

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here